PHOTO UPDATE: Sandbag runs on Everest; the Yeti, etc.

WeLComeHomE OKW

Great pics! More and more every day i wish i was there for the grand opening..but newayz. i really wanna go on that secret pathway. it sounds like fun, and it seems like a mystery.... :drevil:

sackbutt

E.E. Looks awesome! I can't believe how real the glacier looks with the chunks of ice and cracks everywhere. It makes me cold just looking at it. Now if they could only get it to snow over the top of the mountain! Thanks for the great pictures!

JEDIsney

Thanks for the beautiful pictures!

And some great shots, too. Now we can tell that they're getting even closer to the soft-opening of EE, since they're testing it with sandbags now. This is so exciting!

When I go in November, I think I will stand outside of the construction walls begging to be a human sandbag.

Even though people update with pictures of Expedition Everest everyday, it keeps on looking better and better. Now I just have to see it in person.

CTXRover

Thanks for the great photos!

Did you by chance notice how long it was taking the trains to cycle through? For instance, the time between when a train was seen on the lift hill until that same train was back on the lift hill a second time?

WDWScottieBoy

I'll have a HUGE photo update as well as some inside-info that I got from a worker at EE. The "sacks" that are on the one train are actually not sandbags. I was told they are huge things of water, and can be changed for weight. They change them every (almost) run to get a look at how riders will be next to each other. One thing I was told is Joe Rohde was doing that and had a 300lb guy next to a 50lb kid. And then they would do two 300lb people next to each other, etc.

The tests start at 1pm, and have at least one train running, if not two. One will always be empty, and the second with the water. If you look at the water train, there is scientific instruments on board that do a lot of testing as well.

Also, don't expect to ride this (for testing) until after New Years.

(and as I stated, more update sometime this weekend)

dr_teeth90210

Original Poster
CTXRover said:
Thanks for the great photos!

Did you by chance notice how long it was taking the trains to cycle through? For instance, the time between when a train was seen on the lift hill until that same train was back on the lift hill a second time?

It was hard to judge how long the cycles were because there were 10 minute gaps between each of the runs.

But I can tell you that after the train goes up that first lift and disappears inside the mountain, that it would take approx. 2 minutes before it came out of this drop. http://photoalbums.wdwmagic.com/data/500/00000sandbagcloseup.jpg

CTXRover

dr_teeth90210 said:
It was hard to judge how long the cycles were because there were 10 minute gaps between each of the runs.

But I can tell you that after the train goes up that first lift and disappears inside the mountain, that it would take approx. 2 minutes before it came out of this drop. http://photoalbums.wdwmagic.com/data/500/00000sandbagcloseup.jpg

Thanks. That is a much better judge of ride cycle time than what I was asking for anyway :lol: It could potentially be a pretty nice ride length-wise if that's right, assuming that everything was going well during these test runs as well. There is a nice stretch of track before it ever goes up that lift hill and there is quite a bit of track after that big drop. So basically, we could go out on a limb and guesstimate that the track switches and backwards portion of the ride are around 2 minutes, maybe?

1disneydood

So it'll be like splash by having a few minutes of senic or whatener(calm time) after the last drop? Kinda like getting spanked then rubbed? :lookaroun

Brent

Glasgow said:
I didn't know the famous ladder ride was part of this attraction!?!?! Look to the left of the lifter thing ...
OooooooAhhhhhh....The Ladder I can only hope one day I will be honered enough to climb The Almighty Ladder.
On a Side Note: Holy Yeti Batman!!! that thing is freaky lookin'
Oh & the contemp. pic oh my she better be cooking w/ that thing
;)

dr_teeth90210

Original Poster
The ride is appearing to have much complexity with the dark time of Space Mountian yet with the detailing of Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. One thing I was glad to see was that the drop on Everest wasn't that fast and was smooth and quiet. If the ride spit you out at a 100 mph that would be great for the thrill seekers but would greatly reduce the demographic that would ride the attraction. (For evidence of this theory just check out the wait times for Mission Space anytime your at Epcot :)

All in all E:E is turning out to be one he11 of a ride appearing to fit more in the family coaster genre of such classics as Space and Big Thunder Mountain with a little more intensity thrown in for good measure.

ballewclan

EE is going to the best coaster EVER! I think im gonna like it better than anything else ive ever ridden simply because its thrills combined with disney magic! I mean most parks themes are just "take a ride with Batman!! yayyy...", but that doesnt cut it! It should be like "Go on a crazy roller coaster and get attacked by a Yeti! YAY" lol

WDWScottieBoy

dr_teeth90210 said:
One thing I was glad to see was that the drop on Everest wasn't that fast and was smooth and quiet. If the ride spit you out at a 100 mph that would be great for the thrill seekers but would greatly reduce the demographic that would ride the attraction. (For evidence of this theory just check out the wait times for Mission Space anytime your at Epcot :)

Quiet and smooth...yes!

Not so fast....NO! The train hits 55mph at the bottom of the drop that you see there. ;)

Sure, it might not be a super-coaster that goes 120+, but 55mph in the open air like that doesn't feel too slow at all.

dr_teeth90210

Original Poster
No... 55 mph is fast... especially by Disney standards. When the steam donkey was at the height of it's speed the view was obstructed by trees and a giant blue wall. I guesstimated at that time the top speed was around 45 mph. From what I understand, that's not even the largest of the drops and there's an even larger drop in the mountain.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom