Photo Album Help For Technophobe!

hoppypooh

Original Poster
My hubby is getting me a scanner for my b-day. I have very little computer knowledge... so can someone please explain how I get my scanned photos from my hard drive into a photo album on this site? Is it hard? If I just scan normal 4X6 photos will they come out the right size automatically or will I have to adjust anything? Also I would like to start participating in the photo contests - will my photos be the right size? And is it okay that they're not digital - if the photos look good - will the online quality be the same once I scan them or do they look distorted? I would prefer to keep things as simple
as possible and not have to start editing.

Thanks in advance for the help :wave:

tigsmom

hey! I'm not the best person to ask, but since nobody else answered I'll give it a try. First you need to start an album. You can follow the easy directions for uploading from there. From my experience a 4x6 photo is too large. I use Paint to bring my photos down to size (not sure of the limt off hand), go to IMAGR and use stretch/skew... I usually take them down to 50% or so. Then save to your hard drive and upload to your album.

As far as the photo contests go we'd love to have you join us! Non digital photos are welcomed and have been used in the past. Just link us to your album. Hope this helped and I can't wait to see your photos. :wave:

barnum42

First advice - Read the manual.

Second advice - Read the manual again to pick up all the bits that did not make sense last time. Repeat as necessary ;)

As far as the size goes, there are two things that make up the size of an image - The physical printed size, such as 6" x 4" and the number of dots per inch.

The more dots per inch, the better the printed result, but the more memory it takes up and the larger it will appear on your monitor.

Why will it appear larger on your monitor? Because one dot on the monitor will always be the same size. So if you have a photo that was 100 dots per inch one inch of the photo will take up 100 dots on screen. If the photo was 50 dots per inch, one inch would take up 50 dots on screen and therefore take up half the screen space.

So, if you are scanning photos just for web use, scan at 72 DPI (Dots Per Inch) and resize it using the software provided with the scanner (Or as TM said, with Paint).

All this may seem a bit daunting to begin with, but when it clicks in place it all makes sense.

hoppypooh

Original Poster
tigsmom said:
First you need to start an album. You can follow the easy directions for uploading from there

Thank you very much for the help! :sohappy:

But... I've looked all over this site for directions on how to start an album and I can't find anything. How/where do I start an album?
Arrrgggghhh! I feel like such a :hammer:

barnum42

There should be a link at the top of the page to the photo albums

http://photoalbums.wdwmagic.com/

You may need to log into it with your WDW Magic user name and password. Then go to the Upload Images link. You then browse to wherever you have save a photo on your PC and select it for upload to the album.

Be aware that as a basic member you only have 1meg of storage space, so keep your photos small in size or it will fill up very quickly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom