Philhar... What Am I Looking At?

PortOrleans

Original Poster
To be clear, this is a minor problem. However, I’d be interested in hearing whether others experienced similar problems.

Listen, PhilharMagic is great. I’ve enjoyed it since its opening in ‘03.

However, this trip I discovered that PhilharMagic’s projections weren’t quite clear.

Is this a recurring problem or is this problem an isolated one (i.e. a result of improperly sanitized/dirty 3D glasses or projection issues).

I’d appreciate your feedback. Thanks!

PortOrleans

Original Poster
I find that the glasses are getting pretty beat up and affects the picture for sure

I’d assume that from ‘03-‘18 those glasses might have experienced some wear. You’d hope that they’d replace them, but maybe not.

It’s possible that after Kodak chose not to renew their sponsorship of this attraction they didn’t do enough upkeep.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Theme park 3D glasses as a general rule are garbage and there really is nothing realistic that they can do about it. These things get used and cleaned over and over again and it is only a matter of time before the lens shape and clarity suffer. You have a similar problem with the ones you get at theaters, but not quite to the same degree.

For that reason we got our own 3D glasses a number of years ago when we got a LG passive 3D TV. We now bring them with us to the movies and the parks and it has been a big improvement.

You can find a myriad of different styles on Amazon for a few bucks a pair including clip ons for glasses and metal frames that can be easily adjusted for those of us with fat heads.

PortOrleans

Original Poster
Theme park 3D glasses as a general rule are garbage and there really is nothing realistic that they can do about it. These things get used and cleaned over and over again and it is only a matter of time before the lens shape and clarity suffer. You have a similar problem with the ones you get at theaters, but not quite to the same degree.

For that reason we got our own 3D glasses a number of years ago when we got a LG passive 3D TV. We now bring them with us to the movies and the parks and it has been a big improvement.

You can find a myriad of different styles on Amazon for a few bucks a pair including clip ons for glasses and metal frames that can be easily adjusted for those of us with fat heads.

I’d never thought to do that! What a good idea.

JiminyandTink

That's a really cool idea.. you're right, the ones at the movies aren't the best either

JIMINYCR

What a unique tip. I havent heard this one yet. Something new to add onto my packing list!!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
A good way to check is take the glasses off. Does one of the double images still look blurred?

Also, do the side screens look sharp? Philharmagic cheats in that the two outer screens are 2D. Only the middle third is 3D. This would rule out any individuals vision issues.

Kevin_W

The best way I can describe it is they work better because they are cleaner with no wear. They are not going to improve an old or out of focus film. They just make it look as good as can.

I thought I read that some combination of Philharmagic, Muppets, and Star Tours used different 3D technologies that required different types of glasses. Am I misremembering that? Do your glasses work on all of them? It might be worth picking up a couple pair and throwing them in the camera bagg.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I thought I read that some combination of Philharmagic, Muppets, and Star Tours used different 3D technologies that required different types of glasses. Am I misremembering that? Do your glasses work on all of them? It might be worth picking up a couple pair and throwing them in the camera bagg.
Couldn't tell you, but I have used the glasses I have on every 3D attraction save for Star Tours 2.0 and FoP and they have worked fine.

The same is true for multiple movie theaters and formats.

Gillyanne

@Master Yoda I just want to give a big THANK YOU! I have some extra glasses of my own (though they may still only be movie theatre ones I've kept) from my TV/Blu-Ray. I have taken my glasses (and the kid sized ones) on my trip, but always forgot to pack them in the bag to the park. But now I know for sure they will work, and may even jump for that 4pack of clip ons I found on amazon (My mother and I are regular glasses wearers)

disneyworlddad

My wife and I find that what glasses you pick makes a big difference. If you are using "opera glasses" do a quick check to see if there are any smudges/scratches, the plastic lens should also appear tightly stretched with no waves/bubbles.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Philhar, Muppets and Magic Eye all use passive polarising 3D.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I won a pair of Iron Man/Tony Stark 3D glasses at a trivia contest in between the Avengers1/Avengers2 double feature event. [Name the 5 actors who've played Bruce Banner/Hulk on TV and the movies.] They're really good sturdy polarized glasses I've used multiple times for 3D movies. However, they didn't work on the IMAX 3D movie. I'll have to bring them to WDW next trip and test them.

I think (just a guess on my part) that the screen of PhilHarmagic is one of those old type of screens that had tiny holes in it. On those screens, you can sometimes see the image on the wall projected behind the screen creating extra images. Can't tell for sure since you don't get to see the blank screen without a projection on it.

Andsome

To be clear, this is a minor problem. However, I’d be interested in hearing whether others experienced similar problems.

Listen, PhilharMagic is great. I’ve enjoyed it since its opening in ‘03.

However, this trip I discovered that PhilharMagic’s projections weren’t quite clear.

Is this a recurring problem or is this problem an isolated one (i.e. a result of improperly sanitized/dirty 3D glasses or projection issues).

I’d appreciate your feedback. Thanks!
When I went to see it during my trip in April 2017, I noticed a similar issue. There were also noticable gaps between the center projection and the ones on the side, as well as a scratch in the print noticable in a few frames of the Aladdin sequence.

AndyS2992

If you want to experience Philharmagic in new pristine condition, come to Disneyland Paris this October where it’s opening for the first time, 15 years after the original.. in Discoveryland (Tomorrowland). Makes perfect sense lol

memethyst

the lenses on the glasses are always so bent and scratched, it probably has something to do with that. they really should get better glasses...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom