Petition to bring back BeaverTails to Epcot

trentino

Original Poster
As you may have heard, the Canada pavillion at Epcot has stopped selling BeaverTails pastries due to poor sales. At one time, BeaverTails were immensely popular at Disney but interest has declined since they changed to a "reheated" product in 2000 and began closing the booth during the day after 9/11.

I have created an online petition to encourage Disney to re-establish the sale of BeaverTails and I hope that anyone who has ever tried (or hoped to try) one of these delicious and unique treats will sign it. I believe that we can make a difference and change the mind of the managers at the Canada pavillion.

I know there are many BeaverTails fans :wave: on this board and I hope that you'll come out of the wordwork to support this cause. I encourage you to include comments when you sign so that Disney can see the interest that there is in this product.

Don't worry -- You can elect to hide your email address so that it is not displayed publicly.

View and Sign the petition to Bring Back BeaverTails to Epcot.

trentino

Original Poster
That's just it, I spoke with the supplier and it was not due to a problem on their end. They would like to see the relationship continue. I've spoken with Canada pavillion CMs in the know and they feel that it is due to lack of sales. But of course the sales would dwindle if you keep it closed half the time and switch to an inferior version of the product.

Please sign the online petition if you haven't done so already. I'll be bringing it to the attention of the F&B management of the Canada pavillion tomorrow.

There's also a rumour that popular Canadian donut/coffee shop Tim Hortons will appear instead. That's highly unlikely since Wendy's owns Tim Hortons and Disney has a long-standing relationship with McDonalds. Also, WDW has a long-term exclusive coffee contract with NesCafe I think.

se8472

But if the items aren’t selling, why keep them?

This turns back into basic business 101, the company has to make money in order to survive and to buy more of the product to sell. Now if there are other problems like supplier then poof.

Captain Hank

Wendy's owns Tim Hortons? I didn't know that. I had a beaver tail a while back. I remember it being very good, but not that much different from an Elephant Ear that I could get at any given fair.

slappy magoo

Michael72688 said:
Well if something I sold had poor sales I would stop selling it to!

Apparently, that could be the Catch-22 of it. Epcot closed the booth during half of the day so that many people who'd want one couldn't have one, so as the fans see it, how can they get one if they're not around when the booth is open? And is Epcot taking that into consideration when they consider "poor sales?" Are they basing sales numbers on the entire day, or the hours of operation? And thos hours of operation will affect sales for the day anyway.

I work in NYC and if there were, say, a pizza joint that was only open for a few hours out of the day, and not when I wanted pizza, I'd find another place and then, maybe, forget about the first place entirely. The fact that Epcot's Canada is the only place where you can get a Beaver Tail doesn't take away from the fact that there are plenty of treats all over the place, and if you're trying to maintain a budget or a diet and don't want too many snacks, it sucks to try to get a Beaver Tail, see it's closed, get something else, and THEN see it open later. And THAT will affect sales.

Now IF sales were poor and that's why they were keeping the booth closed, then that's a whole nother story. But the fans are making it sound like the booth was being mismanaged, not that there was a lack of demand.

As far as a Tim Horton's going into Canada is concerned...it's well-known that McDonald's felt like they got the bum end of their Disney deal, since so many of their recent cartoons (which were supposed to propel sales of the Happy Meals and get more kids/families into the restaurants nationwide) laid an egg at the box office. Really, they should start tying Happy Meals into more video releases as not everyone will see a Disney movie in the theaters, but sooner or later anyone with a kid in their family gets darn near every Disney video.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
Online petitions are worthless. You need to start a snail mail, fax, and phone campaign if you want anything accomplished.

Boardwalk Girl

I will sign it. I'm aka Paige on the D-Troops forum. I did email
Guest Relations and they haven't emailed me back yet. It's
been well over a week. Hope you get a response from Disney.

trentino

Original Poster
Michael72688 said:
Disney, a huge company is not going to care that a few people online want something back

I would normally agree, but in this case it is not the "huge company" making the decision. It is one or two mid-level managers in the Canada Food and Beverage team that do not understand how successful the BeaverTails once were. This petition is not about stopping the closure of a pavilion or the rehab of a ride or a large-scale issue like that. It is a small thing that can be rectified by changing the mind of one person. This petition is the quickest way to get the opinions of a large number of Disney guests in front of the F&B management team. I will be bringing the petition to their attention tomorrow -- hopefully by then there will be around 150 signatures and comments. The petition combined with the will of the BeaverTails supplier to work something out with the Canada F&B management team could provide the impetus to get the BeaverTails back.

When I worked at Disney we employed Guest Satisfaction Measurement surveys all the time by counting guest requests and comments. That's all this "petition" is... it's an online version of something Disney refers to as a Guest Measurement Survey.

If you haven't signed the petition, now's your chance! Please do so. The link is in the first post above.

se8472

trentino said:
I would normally agree, but in this case it is not the "huge company" making the decision. It is one or two mid-level managers in the Canada Food and Beverage team that do not understand how successful the BeaverTails once were.

But see here is the thing. There are all kinds of things (not just at Disney) but after there time, they stopped being sold.

Without really knowing why these items stopped being sold, I can't really comment on what should be done....but if it is because of low sales, then truly guest have have already spoken and people don't buy them as the once did.

Thus in the eyes of anyone, its time to pull them off the shelves and start selling something that might bring in more profit.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
150 signatures? Yeah, uhm, you need more than that. If every one of those people were to buy one beavertail a day on two week trips, at what $5 each, thats a whopping $10,500. It would cost them more just to get the delivery/production on its way.

ToTBellHop

Disney is not stupid. They have economists with Ph. D.s that know a hell of a lot more about business than probably any of us. I'm sure they made an informed decision. As long as they keep churros, I'm happy.

se8472 said:
But if the items aren’t selling, why keep them?

This turns back into basic business 101, the company has to make money in order to survive and to buy more of the product to sell. Now if there are other problems like supplier then poof.
I would agree if it implied they were trying to even sell them or were consistent with the openings. They've kept changing the hours of when it's sold and whenever we pass by Canada we'd ask what time it would be open and the CM's would say everyone asks and the time would be different every time. So I'm not sure whether the decision is based on true revenue or an easy cost cutting measure to not have to have a CM man the booth. It seems like the later actually.

shalket

Timie's Rules

trentino said:
There's also a rumour that popular Canadian donut/coffee shop Tim Hortons will appear instead.

Personally speaking...I would LOVE :sohappy: to have a TIM HORTON's @ CANADA. Now that would be real representation of Canada instead of the Anne of Green Gables stuff in the gift shop. I go to TIm Horton's everyday as it is. It would be nice to get a GREAT cup of coffee down at DW.
I will miss the Beaver Tails when visiting DW, but in Toronto you can get them at the Toronto Zoo and Ontario Place from Spring to Fall (and way cheaper too !)

Budke

Shalket, or any other Canadians, do they really call them Beaver Tails up north north? Or are they just Elephant Ears.

trentino

Original Poster
shalket said:
Now that would be real representation of Canada instead of the Anne of Green Gables stuff in the gift shop.

Well, you won't have to worry about that either since they are closing the Boutique de Provinces where the Anne stuff was sold.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom