Paris' Park Limits

Connor002

Original Poster
I was playing around on GoogleEarth and i noticed somthing about Disneyland Paris' location in the large circular road

I marked off Disneyland Park and Walt Disney Studios

my questions are:

Does the park's land extend to the entire circle, and if not about how much land do the actually own?

What are the statitics on the park(i.e. employies, land, random facts)?

by the way, i know this thread probally belongs in a different category

peter11435

Connor002 said:
I was playing around on GoogleEarth and i noticed somthing about Disneyland Paris' location in the large circular road

I marked off Disneyland Park and Walt Disney Studios

my questions are:

Does the park's land extend to the entire circle, and if not about how much land do the actually own?

What are the statitics on the park(i.e. employies, land, random facts)?

by the way, i know this thread probally belongs in a different category
I can't help you much other that to tell you that DLP has about 4,000 acres. Thats compared to the near 30,000 at WDW and less than 500 in California. I am not positive but I do believe that they own of the land within the circle and some outside of it as well.

Connor002

Original Poster
http://earth.google.com/

its a program google developed that allows you to zoom in on basicly every part of the world (I.E. i have my house, Disneyland, disney world, disneyland paris, toyko disneyland, panama canal, sea isle city, most of my relatives' houses,effile tower, and my cousins that live in Munich, Germany)

its fun to play around with, but dosen't serve much more purpose

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yep - the circle is the main DLP plot. Outside of this (bottom right) is Golf Disneyland and the Davy Crocket Ranch Resort, both Disney owned. The road off bottom right in blue is DLP`s `World Drive`, connecting some way further down with the highway network. Total land is 4,800 acres. The studios site is actually earmarked (since Disney-MGM Europe days) south west from where it currently is all the way to the Avenue Herge / Blvd. du Grande Fosse roundabout, but this was also originally to hold a separate parking lot for the studios too.

The DLP hotels are around the lake near the centre, and off up the river to the north east. There is space on Lake Disney (the lake) for one more themed hotel - originally New Orleans themed, to match the original Village design - but this may now be a convention center. The Lava Lagoon water park was planned to be off of Blvd. du Parc, and the 3rd park plot is supposed to be east of this blvd. The buldings bottom right are Val du Europe; a non Disney shopping complex and apartment village - EDL SCA rent the land to them in return for plenty of cash!

jrriddle

Now here's a question.
Acording to the original agreement with the French Government, what was the timeline for new park construction for DLPR?
The total numer of parks and the deadline for having them built.
I've read it some where before but can't recall the timeline.
BONUS QUESTION:
Is there ANY chance this agreement still exists?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Top of my head; 3 parks by 2011 (25 years since signing the original contract) I doubt it will happen though, or still exist - TWDC legal team arn`t known for any terms not in their favour.

There was a rumour the studios had to open by a certain date, or the land would be forfeitted (a supermarket was mentioned...really!) hence the rather barren in comparrisson WDSP compared to D-MGM Europe.

jrriddle

marni1971 said:
Top of my head; 3 parks by 2011 (25 years since signing the original contract) I doubt it will happen though, or still exist - TWDC legal team arn`t known for any terms not in their favour.

There was a rumour the studios had to open by a certain date, or the land would be forfeitted (a supermarket was mentioned...really!) hence the rather barren in comparrisson WDSP compared to D-MGM Europe.

As usual you are the Man!
Thanks.

Jorn2005

Hi there,

the total plot of land that EuroDisney SCA (or TWDC) owns is much bigger than the giant roundabout. The total amount of land is as large as a fifth of Paris, so they still have some space left to develop.
On the following map you can clearly see what land belongs to DLRP; everything within the orange lines! You can even see that some small towns are encapsulated by the land, like little islands.

http://www.germs.nl/disney/maps/mapresort1992.jpg

Unfortunately the map is in Dutch, so I don't if you all understand it. It's from a tourist guide issued in 1992, so a lot of buildings and details are 'planned' on this map.
By the way, this map comes from this website were other maps and aerial views of the resort are collected: http://www.germs.nl/disney/maps.htm

The contract signed by the Walt Disney Company and the French Government on March 24th, 1987 was for a period of 30 years as of that moment, so until 2017. This year would be the 25th birthday of the Disneyland Park and the 15th birthday of the Walt Disney Studios.

The more than 400 pages of the Euro Disney Resort contract between Disney and the French government dealt with several points: Out of the investment of seven billion dollars, Disney would only have to pay $350 million. The French also offered them a loan of 700 million US-Dollars on a very small lease as wells as a reduction of the sales tax from 18,5% to 7%. Last but not least, they agreed on building a TGV-station right next to the Disneyland park, extending the A4 as well as the Métro-line that would connect downtown Paris with the new Disney resort.
The whole contract also handled a 30-year-development of the site, which was supposed to get an additional theme park, more hotel rooms as well as an entire city called Val d'Europe

This piece of text comes from dlp.info's history section; a great read if you want to know more about the history of the Disneyland Resort in France:

http://www.dlp.info/History.htm

I hope this helped!

mrtoad

If I wanted to look up any of the parks on Google Earth, what address do you type in? I have seen the FL one as I know to look for Lake Buena Vista, but the others, no idea what to look for.

Thanks,
Mike

cherrynegra

I guess my question would be what is the rumored third park supposed to be? IS IT BY ANY CHANCE HARRY POTTER LAND?? :sohappy: what? :lookaroun :lol:

But seriously, what is the theme for the third park supposed to be. This is the first I've ever heard of a third park. Really interesting topic. :wave:

Connor002

Original Poster
i think they'll expand disney studios before they would start on a third park, for some reason it feels unfinished

cherrynegra

Connor002 said:
i think they'll expand disney studios before they would start on a third park, for some reason it feels unfinished

Well, it kinda makes sense now why the park is so small and seems unfinished if Disney rushed that park into production due to time limitations on building. But I agree with you. I think they will take their time to fill out the rest of that park before proceeding with a third park.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I certainly hope we get some proper expansion at WDS before a 3rd park; the same dilema as WDW. Disneyland Parc, apart from the rumoured 2012 Splash Mountain style ride is pretty much complete (there are still 6 potential plots unused from the original masterplan, some of which have been encroached on) but the Studios is barely a one day park. The Nemo ride opens in 2007, ToT 2008, but the tower is going slap bang in the middle of the park - imagine it being somewhere halfway down Hollywood Blvd. at WDW - there has been great debate on the Paris boards why no Sunset Blvd is being built for it - it seems such a lost opportunity (although it is obviously goos news it`s coming at all.) If Sunset is finally built, it will need one hell of a Weenie to compete with the Tower!

Another debate is the conversion of Le Visionarium (CV360 Timekeeper) into Buzz Lightyear - apparently it cost 9m euros just to gut the theatre, couldn`t this money have been spent on building a new `shed` for the ride in the Studios? This way we would have got a new attraction in a park that needs it, not a replacement in a park that already needs 3 days to fully view. Another case of very good, but could have been better..

BTW, look at this great page; scroll down for some superb satellite images of DLP.

jrriddle

marni1971 said:
I certainly hope we get some proper expansion at WDS before a 3rd park; the same dilema as WDW. Disneyland Parc, apart from the rumoured 2012 Splash Mountain style ride is pretty much complete (there are still 6 potential plots unused from the original masterplan, some of which have been encroached on) but the Studios is barely a one day park.

Western Rivers Expedition! Western Rivers Expedition! DLP needs an original attraction! Forget Splash, WRE! (But that's just me :D )
If they want a clone they really need IJA Adventure. Split the R&D costs with D/MGM in Florida and get a desperately needed new E-Ticket in Adventureland.
What other plots are there?
The large one in Adventureland. The 2 in Fantasyland that were saved for TLM & B&tB (Are those still free?).
I understand that the Nemo building will ruin any chance of something being built where Gyser Mountain was supposed to go. And the Flume ride would more than likely be put where the theatre in Frontierland is now.
That hill in Discoveryland where I think Nemo's restaurant (or apparently Alien Encounter) was supposed to go.
That's 4. What are the others?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The rumours of a `Splash` have ranged from similar ride, different theme through to a hybrid water coaster (SeaWorlds Atlantis.)

You`ve covered the six; Geyser Mountain (west of Phantom Manor, although the tram tour already encroaches here going towards Cat Canyon), the Jungle Jeep 1st gen EMV that Indy part takes over (still some space there though), the Splash area (petting farm, possibly the Chapperal Theatre too but this would involve the dry dock), the B&B hill (who knows whats backstage there, nothing too substantioal I believe), the Little Mermaid (temporary tents beyond the berm, still usable) and the restaraunt backing onto and sharing Plaza Pavilions kitchens. I`ve never heard any solid info about AE; do you have any??

An EMV would be great, but I can`t see them sharing costs with WDW for an Indy theme and putting it next to Temple of Peril - give it the Studios, along with Sunset Blvd. Now THATS a weenie! Speaking of ine Indy coaster, there was an unofficial push in low management to expand it into the EMV plot with an indoor section based on TDS` Raging Spirits, who knows??

jrriddle

marni1971 said:
The rumours of a `Splash` have ranged from similar ride, different theme through to a hybrid water coaster (SeaWorlds Atlantis.)

You`ve covered the six; Geyser Mountain (west of Phantom Manor, although the tram tour already encroaches here going towards Cat Canyon), the Jungle Jeep 1st gen EMV that Indy part takes over (still some space there though), the Splash area (petting farm, possibly the Chapperal Theatre too but this would involve the dry dock), the B&B hill (who knows whats backstage there, nothing too substantioal I believe), the Little Mermaid (temporary tents beyond the berm, still usable) and the restaraunt backing onto and sharing Plaza Pavilions kitchens. I`ve never heard any solid info about AE; do you have any??

An EMV would be great, but I can`t see them sharing costs with WDW for an Indy theme and putting it next to Temple of Peril - give it the Studios, along with Sunset Blvd. Now THATS a weenie! Speaking of ine Indy coaster, there was an unofficial push in low management to expand it into the EMV plot with an indoor section based on TDS` Raging Spirits, who knows??

See I didn't include the petting farm. When I mentioned possibly tearing it out to some fans at DLPinfo, I got beaten up pretty bad :lol:. And I didn't think of space outside the berm, was that where ToonTown was supposed to go?

The only time I've heard anything about AE at DLP was from Alain at MiceAge, but considering he's one of the Sketch to Reality authors I'll take him at his word. Having said that he's the only person I've ever heard mention it so...jury is still out I suppose.

Hmmm Indy at the Studios...I guess I'm just a continuity nut. I would say keep at DLP. It works at TDS's Lost River Delta. Give the Studios something new. Maybe with Test Track/Rocket Rods Technology...but then that defeats my dream of Mt. Prometheus going in where Autopia sits now (and a dream is all it well ever be) :rolleyes: .

Exciting news about the expansion of the Indy Rollercoaster. Hope that gets greenlit. At least add some of the Raging Spirit effects to it. However I understand they are not all that great. I posted some pictures over in The TDL threads.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom