Parade of Dreams in early 2009?

kcw

What's so drastically different about Parade of Dreams that they can present it in CA but not Florida? What lazy excuse has WDW come up with this time? I'm really going to speak with my wallet from now on and only go to DL. WDW is becoming more and more frustrating to visit.

From what I've heard, the biggest problem is the lack of storage space backstage. Also, that the WDW parade route doesn't have the right lighting to run the parade at night

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
Are they going to play this music 5 nights a week in the Hollywood Hills Amphitheatre starting in January?

disney9752

From what I've heard, the biggest problem is the lack of storage space backstage. Also, that the WDW parade route doesn't have the right lighting to run the parade at night

AT NIGH????????? Does this mean spectro will go away? it has been YEARS & YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRS since a "daytime" parade ran at night excpet for the Christmas parade during christmas parties.

TP2000

What's so drastically different about Parade of Dreams that they can present it in CA but not Florida? What lazy excuse has WDW come up with this time?

I'm not an expert, but this was an ongoing discussion on a Disneyland board recently. I will paraphrase what I learned from a 50 post thread there.

The basic excuse laid out by people who appeared to know was that WDW doesn't have a float warehouse behind Pirates big enough to handle the large Disneyland Parade of Dreams floats, and WDW management decided not to invest in a rebuilt warehouse big enough to house them because it would also require moving around some other backstage infrastructure to accomodate a larger warehouse. There was also some infrastructure work required inside the Magic Kingdom to beef up the audio system and the lighting system to handle the more advanced technology used to present Parade of Dreams in both the daytime and nighttime. Those costs were also vetoed by WDW management.

Ironic, isn't it? WDW is the place with all the vacant land and all the space and the super wide walkways, and it can't and/or won't accomodate a parade from the park without much land and little space and narrow walkways. :lol:

nemofinder22

Screamscape got it a little wrong. The Celebrate street show will run in addition to POD, not in place of it, just like its sister show will run at the MK in addition to DDCT.

WDW is not currently equipped to present POD at the MK, and is unwilling to make the necessary investments to do so. Don't count on seeing it there unless they change their minds. Management there would rather redress DDCT AGAIN (the new Celebrations version premieres in early 2009) than do something "new" like POD.

This is the very same thing I'v been hearing, also DLR is going to be doing some tweaking to there Celebrate street show so that its a bit different. Plus DLR boards have nothing floating around on POD leaving. Last year when BPB was on itsway out it was all over the boards, and Im happy to say I'm kinda happy BPB went since DCA got PPP.

But anyways DDCT needs to go.

TP2000

This is the very same thing I'v been hearing, also DLR is going to be doing some tweaking to there Celebrate street show so that its a bit different. Plus DLR boards have nothing floating around on POD leaving. Last year when BPB was on itsway out it was all over the boards, and Im happy to say I'm kinda happy BPB went since DCA got PPP.

So true, there's not a peep on any of the very active Disneyland boards about Parade of Dreams leaving in '09. If anything, the Al Lutz updates have detailed the backstory to why the World of Wonder parade was pushed back to 2010 and why Parade of Dreams sticks around.

And, after a three year run at least DCA replaced Block Party Bash with Pixar Play Parade. That Anaheim change allowed WDW to have its first new parade in years and years. In addition to the HSM street show thing that WDW got from Disneyland Entertainment to replace that HSM stage show in Tomorrowland they had for a while, it should prove to East Coasters that Disneyland knows how to put on a good show and there's nothing to worry about.

When WDW does finally get the Parade of Dreams, that will be a good thing for WDW. :wave:

burninup4nick

I would mind the one from DL either....Ive heard fantastic things about it....and the one at WDW is really (in my oppinion) tired and old. We've had the almost exact same parade for a really long time. First Share A Dream Come True Parade then they took the snowglobes off and its the Disney Dreams Come True Parade....its still the SAME parade!!! and For first time visitors or visitors who havent been in a really long time Im sure its great but I personally get really bored by it....I havent watched it in forever....

Just my oppinion :)

Vernonpush

So true, there's not a peep on any of the very active Disneyland boards about Parade of Dreams leaving in '09. If anything, the Al Lutz updates have detailed the backstory to why the World of Wonder parade was pushed back to 2010 and why Parade of Dreams sticks around.

And, after a three year run at least DCA replaced Block Party Bash with Pixar Play Parade. That Anaheim change allowed WDW to have its first new parade in years and years. In addition to the HSM street show thing that WDW got from Disneyland Entertainment to replace that HSM stage show in Tomorrowland they had for a while, it should prove to East Coasters that Disneyland knows how to put on a good show and there's nothing to worry about.

When WDW does finally get the Parade of Dreams, that will be a good thing for WDW. :wave:

Maybe instead of having any "new" rides at WDW in 2010 they will use the PoD as their new "weenie" to get people back after the recession. :shrug: Kind of "cheap" in my eyes.:(

kcw

AT NIGH????????? Does this mean spectro will go away? it has been YEARS & YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRS since a "daytime" parade ran at night excpet for the Christmas parade during christmas parties.

Either way, Spectro's days are numbered. I've heard that it will simply go, and PoD will run day and night, but I've also heard that they'll bring something in to replace it- a hand me down, not a new parade.

The other problem with PoD going to WDW is the same problem that they had when they brought BPB over. There are plenty of things in PoD that DLR allows their normal performers to do, that WDW doesn't- the playing cards on the trampoline and the flower power skips in the Alice Unit, the bungees in the Pinnochio unit, the girls on the spanish web in the Lion King unit, and Hatter, Alice and Ariel all being mic'ed. They solved this problem with BPB by bringing in outside performers (not Equity though), but I don't know if they're going to want to do that again for another parade. Outside performers = $$$$, regular entertainment performers = $.

All of that being said, I really do hope that WDW eventually gets PoD- it's a wonderful parade, as long as WDW doesn't water it down.

TP2000

Why can't WDW performers do all of those things too?

The stunt performers, acrobats and aerialists, and speaking Characters are what makes the Walt Disney's Parade of Dreams so enchanting to watch. Those performers all make the elaborate floats simply come to life, rather than just walking along next to a rolling float doing beginners Shuffle-Step-1-2-3-Shuffle-Step choreography.

California is a very pro-union state with a strong presence from the global entertainment industry. Florida is an weak union state, and I would guess the labor laws there are rather lenient compared to California. This can't be a labor law issue, so why wouldn't WDW performers be allowed to do all of the stuff Disneyland performers currently can? :confused:

kcw

Many WDW performers can do those things, we just aren't allowed. It basically comes down to the fact that WDW uses Equity performers, and so normal performers can't step on their toes. That's why in DLR performers dance alongside their floats, while in WDW, performers walk and "shuffle step" :rolleyes: I'm not sure of all small details as to why, but it's the presence of Equity that limits what WDW Entertainment can do. On the other hand, Equity rules are so stringent that they can't always step in and pick up the slack. Entertainment can't do tramps, skips, mics, etc. because of Equity, and Equity can't do tramps, skips, and mics in the parade because they're not allowed to perform on asphalt. Which leaves WDW to go to third party performers if they want those things in their parades.

At DLR, there is not nearly the huge presence of AGVA (the union they use) as there is of Equity in WDW. I'm really not sure if that's why DLR Entertainment has so much freedom, or if it has to do with difference in the contracts of AGVA vs. Equity. I'm not very familiar with how all of that business goes down at DLR so I can't help too much from that side.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom