Package Handling Fee added at WDW Resorts

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
When an infant can go through 100+ diapers over the course of stay, thats either a checked bag fee, or have Amazon ship it down for free, for the same or less than it would cost just to buy the diapers at Baby R Us or similar. Or just compare the prices that Garden Grocer will charge for baby food or anything non perishable with what Amazon Pantry would charge to ship down for a small fee (or free if you get a Prime credit). WDW did it to themselves by increasing prices for food goods on property, and using DME to convince people to not get a rental. If people can save a few bucks by shipping things down, they will.

I do wonder why they have exclusions for Amazon Prime Now, but not Amazon Prime or regular Amazon.

Prime NOW is same day delivery so there has to be distribution center stocking the product within a 2 hour delivery run and size also counts so the vehicle can carry more deliveries

wendysue

I usually sent down one box ahead with cereal, snacks and things I didn't want to take up room in my luggage since we never check it with the airlines. Well....IF we go back to WDW, we will rent a car for sure to shop and eat offsite. It seems like every time I am on this site, I read about another upcharge or rate hike. Others make it sound like it's ok because that is what is happening everywhere, but COME ON, enough already! That was one of the little perks that made us think that we were actually a few bucks ahead of the game. I know you will say, "It's just 5 bucks" but EVERYTHING just keeps going up 5 bucks or 10 bucks, but more like 100 bucks and all of a sudden the vacation that we could just afford 2 years ago, is now out of reach. Just my opinion, and am just very sad about all the price raises, so please dont say good riddance, the lines will be shorter without you. :(

coasterphil

I thought the exemptions were good as well. That being said... There's no way that some of those exemptions are going to stay in place long-term.

TDO Meeting:

"What?!?! People aren't buying groceries from us, at our exorbitant prices with limited selection, and are instead having groceries delivered?? Well, we'll see about that!".

Make no mistake about it - Diznee's gonna get a piece of that pie, by hook or by crook. And charging a "handling fee" of some kind for grocery delivery services, I think, is inevitable. Revenue streams must be maintained and expanded, you know. We can't be having other parts of TWDC fending for themselves.

You're already paying a package handling fee when you use one of those vendors, it's just not listed as a separate line item when you make your purchase. It's baked into the pricing, as I can pretty much guarantee that each of those providers is either paying a flat monthly fee, a commission, or a combo of both if they are getting an exemption from this new charge.

Hotels generally don't let you do business with their guests unless they're getting a cut.

Bandini

I usually sent down one box ahead with cereal, snacks and things I didn't want to take up room in my luggage since we never check it with the airlines. Well....IF we go back to WDW, we will rent a car for sure to shop and eat offsite. It seems like every time I am on this site, I read about another upcharge or rate hike. Others make it sound like it's ok because that is what is happening everywhere, but COME ON, enough already! That was one of the little perks that made us think that we were actually a few bucks ahead of the game. I know you will say, "It's just 5 bucks" but EVERYTHING just keeps going up 5 bucks or 10 bucks, but more like 100 bucks and all of a sudden the vacation that we could just afford 2 years ago, is now out of reach. Just my opinion, and am just very sad about all the price raises, so please dont say good riddance, the lines will be shorter without you. :(
I can understand how you feel. An extra $5 charge doesn't seem like much until you add it to the other price increases. I think the travel industry in general is trying to avoid a backlash caused by a substantial hike in room rates or air fares. So they are adding ala carte charges. Next will be the resort fee.

DisneyDreamer08

It seems like every planning site recommends mailing packages to your resort, whether that means a box you packed up at home and mailed, or things you ordered online. It always sounded so easy and convenient so this past September we finally gave it a try. We were traveling with a 5 year old and 1 year old, staying at Sports for 8 nights. Instead of packing essentials, we ordered from Target and Walmart and shipped directly to Sports- diapers, wipes, formula, baby food, snacks & breakfast items. I received email confirmations that all my items arrived a few days before we checked in. So I only packed enough baby essentials for our travel day. When we checked in, I asked about our packages. I was told that due to the overwhelming amount of packages the resorts have been dealing with, they no longer have the space to store them at each resort. Instead, they have rented a facility off site and all packages are sent there. When you check in, it is then that your packages are attempted to be located. I was told this process could take 4-5 days! I explained I really needed our diapers and formula that day. They said they would do their best to have our packages to us by midnight. Adding to the chaos, most places like Target and Walmart ship from different facilities and ship as items are available. So even though I placed one order from each place, I had about 10 boxes in total. They were able to locate about 75% of our stuff by midnight and the rest was found the next day while we were out in the parks. It was so stressful we decided we would never ship anything again, and that was before the $5 charge. I can understand why they are doing it though.

indyumd

I shipped two car seats via Amazon for our rental car a few months ago because it was easier and cheaper than any other option I could find. Felt a little ridiculous carrying two huge boxes to our car, but oh well. I would have had no problem paying a $5 fee for that.

disney4life2008

I don't see Disney adding resort fees easily. I would guess parking fees would come first (as Universal charge parking at their hotels).

I am positive a resort fee is in the mix; however, they would have a difficult time implementing it because it would really diminish the value. I do agree, parking is likely to be a charge and that would be devastating.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I hope everyone is not oblivious that $5 is the charge today. I fully expect it will increase to $7-10 before the next fiscal year and be close to $15-20 depending on resort type by 2018, mark my words. They will align themselves with the baggage airfare prices.

Nothing to do with airlines prices. $5 is dirt cheap for hotel and resort receiving/handling fees.

The properties I used to work at back in the day, $5 was the fee for the smallest box size. It went all the way up to $250 or so for a pallet.

And this was over a decade ago.

disney4life2008

Nothing to do with airlines prices. $5 is dirt cheap for hotel and resort receiving/handling fees.

The properties I used to work at back in the day, $5 was the fee for the smallest box size. It went all the way up to $250 or so for a pallet.

And this was over a decade ago.

No i was saying this is in alignment with baggage fees. Though I still don't understand why airlines charge fees but im certain this fee of $5 will go up in 2017.

flynnibus

Premium Member
im starting to think Disney must have brought in some consultants who analyzed disney's offerings verse other resorts and gave them a laundry list of things that others do, that Disney didn't.

Or disneyn had a book of "rejected ideas" and simply pulled it out of the drawer

dreamfinder

It seems like every planning site recommends mailing packages to your resort, whether that means a box you packed up at home and mailed, or things you ordered online. It always sounded so easy and convenient so this past September we finally gave it a try. We were traveling with a 5 year old and 1 year old, staying at Sports for 8 nights. Instead of packing essentials, we ordered from Target and Walmart and shipped directly to Sports- diapers, wipes, formula, baby food, snacks & breakfast items. I received email confirmations that all my items arrived a few days before we checked in. So I only packed enough baby essentials for our travel day. When we checked in, I asked about our packages. I was told that due to the overwhelming amount of packages the resorts have been dealing with, they no longer have the space to store them at each resort. Instead, they have rented a facility off site and all packages are sent there. When you check in, it is then that your packages are attempted to be located. I was told this process could take 4-5 days! I explained I really needed our diapers and formula that day. They said they would do their best to have our packages to us by midnight. Adding to the chaos, most places like Target and Walmart ship from different facilities and ship as items are available. So even though I placed one order from each place, I had about 10 boxes in total. They were able to locate about 75% of our stuff by midnight and the rest was found the next day while we were out in the parks. It was so stressful we decided we would never ship anything again, and that was before the $5 charge. I can understand why they are doing it though.

They have had a facility that handles shipments for a while. However, it has typically been USPS only. So anything that went USPS as last mile (alot of free standard shipping does) would go to this facility, and then take another day or two to be delivered to your actual resort. I think this was just how WDW handled anything that came USPS, including letters, and then delivered it internally themselves. Pretty sure this is what the CM was referring to when they mentioned a potential delay from "delivery" to actually getting the package to the guest.

I know that when we had items shipped from Amazon down in October, they were delivered and stored directly at the resort, but those went UPS, not USPS.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom