Over head cable cars at mk

Jerm

I am guessing you are talking about the Sky Way? Lots has been said as to why, but I think it just comes down to money vs. capacity. It was not a very high capacity attraction and cost a lot to run. So Disney did what almost all the theme parks in the US did and got rid of them.
1251912355_58d90b98ca.jpg

disneydiva72

When we were preteens...My Mom use to let me and my cousin go on that ride by ourselves because she is afraid of heights and meet us on the other side.....she absolutely should not have done that. :lol: My cousin use to spit on people....Its so awful but Im hysterical laughing right now.

:lol:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
There was no single reason that the skyway closed and of course the official explanation was the old standby "It's part of our ongoing efforts to improve guest satisfaction blah blah blah"

The obvious reasons were the possibility of people dropping things from the cars, it offered views of very non magical backstage areas, it was not ADA compliant and its rider capacity was very low. Some of the more conspiracy theory style reasons were issues with maintenance (lack of repair parts) and a Cast member death (which actually happened) associated with the attraction.

slappy magoo

There was no single reason that the skyway closed and of course the official explanation was the old standby "It's part of our ongoing efforts to improve guest satisfaction blah blah blah"

The obvious reasons were the possibility of people dropping things from the cars, it offered views of very non magical backstage areas, it was not ADA compliant and its rider capacity was very low. Some of the more conspiracy theory style reasons were issues with maintenance (lack of repair parts) and a Cast member death (which actually happened) associated with the attraction.

And let us not forget the most conspiracy-iest theory: Some people thought it was because it was a prime location for terrorists to detonate a dirty bomb or other kind of germ warfare that would waft over half the park instead of being centrally located in one area. That's why the monorails are totally enclosed instead of open-air dont-cha know.

mwbrown

You can read about it in the Wikipedia entry, like the issues with disabled riders, as well as the accidental death just months before it closed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyway_(Disney)

While it was cool, I don't miss those big grey concrete poles springing up throughout Fantasyland; just spoiled the look of it. Looked OK in Future World...

I don't doubt that the fact that you saw backstage areas and the closed down, slowly rotting away 20,000 Leagues helped either...

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
And let us not forget the most conspiracy-iest theory: Some people thought it was because it was a prime location for terrorists to detonate a dirty bomb or other kind of germ warfare that would waft over half the park instead of being centrally located in one area. That's why the monorails are totally enclosed instead of open-air dont-cha know.
I feel secure just knowing that those missiles are still in the castle.:lookaroun

mickeyfan1973

My husband and I were there the day the custodian fell and died. We actually saw it happen. It was pretty scary. He was hanging off the side of the gondola trying to climb in when he lost his grip and fell into a planter.

We never saw the ride operate again after that and at the end of the year it was shut down for good.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom