Pre-Trip Our Sweet Sixteen at the Sweetest Place on Earth...Oh Wait PTR

Well, we're counting down the days until we can leave for our Sweet Sixteen Anniversary at the Sweetest Place on Earth. Scratch that, DH said it's the Happiest Place on Earth. Silly me. Our trip officially starts four weeks from today with a very, very long drive down the not so happiest highway in the US, I-95. I can't believe we've been married this long. Where does the time go?

So who's taking this trip? Well, there's my husband Michael and me, Kirsten. It's our first trip to WDW alone since our honeymoon and we can't wait. Here we are!

As always, we will be staying at our favorite home away from home, the one and only Wilderness Lodge. Isn't she a beauty?

We've talked many times about trying another resort but we always end up at the place where we started. It's so funny going to our TA because he doesn't even ask anymore. He just pulls out our folder and says "What are the dates for this trip? I'm guessing nothing else has changed." And that is what makes him the best and worth every dime of his commission.

So anyway, we will be checking in to the Lodge on September 4 for nine glorious evenings at the House of the Mouse. Courtyard View again, hopefully on the first floor in one of the Accessible Rooms since this is the first time we are renting an ECV for my husband and we need space in the room to charge it up each night without tripping over each other and his temporary chariot. Did I forget to mention I'm a bit of a klutz? I can seriously see me tripping over that thing every time even though it will be sitting there staring me straight in the face. We were upgraded to one of these rooms the last time we stayed here and we just loved it. King bed, near the pool and Roaring Fork, and it even came with a pet for our trip because we had the friendliest little Daisy Duck who came to visit us almost every day. I'm sure that had nothing to do with my sharing breakfast with her.

And on to our plans....

Day One - Travel day one. We will be leaving PA hopefully by 5 AM (why is it we have to get up earlier for vacation than a work day-that just doesn't seem right). We're taking a slightly different path this go around heading down I-81 in to MD and then taking 70 and 270 around DC and meeting up with I-95 in VA, I think. Or should I say I hope? There is a long history of trips becoming adventures in this family so let's just hope history doesn't repeat itself. We'll be staying overnight in Savannah because I've always wanted to see it. My husband is on board because I found an ice cream shop that is apparently a Savannah legend and you can't go on vacation without splurging, right?

Day Two - Travel day two. We're heading to my grandmother's house for an overnight visit because I don't get to see her too often and everybody needs grandma time. She lives over on the gulf side of the state near one of the places where the manatees winter.

Day Three - Checking in at the Lodge. Yay!!!!! We're hoping to get in around noon so we can get a round of mini golf in at Fantasia Gardens before our dinner reservation at the Yachtsman Steakhouse. We ate here in 2007 on our anniversary and we just loved it. If we aren't too tired out we may head to Jellyrolls because I've always wanted to go there.

Day Four - First day in the park and we're heading to our favorite, Epcot. Dinner tonight will be at the Rose and Crown which is a first for us. I'm a little surprised my husband picked this one because he's a little on the picky side (and if he's reading this, I didn't just say that...it must have been my evil twin sister;)).

Day Five - Our anniversary in the Magic Kingdom! We will be having our first dinner at Be Our Guest and I have to confess I'm hoping we get to try the gray stuff. I've heard it's just delicious. Don't believe me, ask the dishes. We will be staying for Night of Joy because two of our favorite artists are the headliners, Michael W. Smith and Steven Curtis Chapman. We've had our tickets since the day they became available. Can you tell we're excited?

Day Six - Rest day one. Maybe heading to Downtown Disney for some shopping. Definitely will be sleeping in.

Day Seven - Back to the Magic Kingdom with lunch at the Crystal Palace. Another favorite because we can both find things we like. Tonight we'll be staying late for Wishes. Thank you AAA for the preferred viewing location. Hopefully it's in a good spot.

Day Eight - Hollywood Studios and lunch at Sci-Fi. We haven't been here since our honeymoon. Yeah, the food is just average but the atmosphere is great. And it helps that my husband is a big sci-fi geek.

Day Nine - Rest day two. Maybe we'll tour the other resorts. We'll see how the days take us. Maybe we'll just hang in the arcade and have an air hockey binge instead.

Day Ten - Day two for Epcot and dinner at Tutto Italia, another first for us. We'll be staying for Illuminations tonight.

Day Eleven - Last park day and it's Animal Kingdom. Going out with a yeti (I am a child of disco since I was born in the 70's so hopefully he will get his groove on). Afterwards, we will be eating dinner at Jiko which we loved the first time we ate there. And then back to the Lodge to pack. No fun.

Day Twelve - Check out day and heading home on the Auto Train. We just booked this today. Roomette again for us. Let's hope this time they don't lose power on the way home. Who knew thunderstorms could knock out electricity on a train?

So thanks all for letting me share. This is my first pre-trip report and the closer we get to leaving the more excited I get. Did I mention I only have 19 more work days? Not that I'm counting or anything.

Last edited:

WLBound

Original Poster
The last hurdle before our trip was crossed tonight. We went down to AAA to pick up all our travel vouchers! And bonus, the Auto Train vouchers came in our mail today. All that's left to do now is finish packing and anxiously await for these last 26 days to go. Why does time seem to go so slowly when you are excitedly waiting for something to happen?

WLBound

Original Poster
Have so much fun! What a great sweet 16!

Thank you so much! We've been counting the days since we booked last September and they've just seemed to crawl so slowly. We hit three weeks tomorrow and the packing has already begun. I think my little pup is trying to figure out how to pack his toys and himself in our luggage.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom