Our Rock and Roll Holiday Time Disneyland Engagement! 12/30/12

Betherella

Original Poster
I had a request from Cassie S. to write up a little report on my Disneyland proposal and I was only too happy to oblige because then I get to relive what was one of the very best days of my life so far!

I suppose I should introduce you to the players since I am very very new here (having only written a trip report about my now fiance's first trip ever to WDW with me in 2010).

I'm Beth. I am a Disney-Nerd. I grew up in the Northwest but made very frequent trips to visit my favorite place in the world, Disneyland. Especially after I turned 18... I may or may not have gotten a job working for an airline JUST to get free flights to Anaheim. ;) By the time I hit 23, I was single and sick of the rain, grey skies and chilly temperatures. So I kissed my little brother, hugged my parents and I was off to live by "My Park". I even worked there for 6 months as a 2nd job. I still love the place.

Anyhoo... about 4.5 years ago now, I found myself single once again. At a family reunion, my uncle kept telling me I should meet this guy he works with. "He's so weird. You would appreciate him!" Uh... thanks? :D I told him I was not interested in dating anyone including "weird co-worker" but thanks. For the next week after I got home from the reunion, he bugged me every day. "Did you talk to him?" No. "He's on facebook. Look at his profile!" No, again. "Come on, just send him a message." Leave me alone! He lives over an hour from me anyways. "He likes your profile picture. You should get in touch with him." UGH!!! Fine! Just leave me alone after that!

So I sent "weird co-worker" (Who's name I found out was Steevin) a message that just said "Hey, my uncle is bugging me and he said you like my profile picture." Well that was it. 4 Days later, after constantly talking via chat on Facebook, we had our first date. A Batman movie, Golden Spoon FroYo and a trip to the dumpsers because he didn't know where he was going and led me astray was all it took for us to be hooked on each other. (He'll tell you I tried to kiss him first on that date but don't you believe him.) This is us:

922831_10151640719734258_815439329_n.jpg

I have dragged him countless times to Disneyland since then. And while he started out as a willing participant... Lots of crowds, too much heat and the same rides over and over took their toll and he is not really a fan anymore (But don't worry... He *loves* WDW and Epcot is his very favorite park!). However, there is one time I insist on going. My birthday. I love going to Disneyland for my birthday. Its December 18th... right smack dab in the middle of all the Holiday Festivities! And we go every year. And we went this past year and... I was not proposed to. But I wasn't expecting it. Steevin had told me in the past if he was ever proposing, it would not be on a holiday or one of our birthdays. He wanted the day to be special all on its own.

65082_10151385710389258_155868663_n.jpg

Here we are at Disney California Adventure on my birthday, not getting engaged. But we did have an AWESOME dinner at Carthay Circle.

But what SHOULD have tipped me off, was shortly after my birthday, HE started making plans for another trip to Disneyland on December 30th, 2012. He made up some excuse that he felt like I didn't get enough time to enjoy my favorite time of year in Disneyland yet... and like a fool, I totally bought it! He told me to invite a few friends so I did. Joining us on our little trip to Disneyland were our friends Jon and Kate, our friend Matt and his friend, our friend Derick and our friend Ashley. Everyone was clueless to what was going to happen except Steevin and Ashley because she works at Disneyland and has some connections to make a little magic happen.

We carpooled with our friends, Jon and Kate, since we live in the same city about an hour away from Disneyland. Our friend Matt and his buddy were already there so we grabbed Earl of Sandwich for lunch and then headed towards the parks. We were going to stop in Carthay Circle for a drink but out of no where it starts to POUR! (eep! My poor hair was a mess!) I mean, rain so hard the streets became rushing rivers and puddles became small lakes. And Carthay Circle became packed because everyone was trying to escape. So we all sloshed our way over to the Grand Californian for some cover. We were drenched. And so was everyone else. It literally looked like a refuge camp, as everyone and their mom just plopped on the marble floor because there was no where else to sit. We waited out the rain for about 30 minutes and were joined by Ashley and Derick.

Now, unbeknownst to me, right about now, Steevin was freaking out a bit. He had to come up with a rain plan and fast. He was texting back and fourth, and Ashley was texting back and fourth (Remember, she is the only one who knows anything) but I had no idea. Steevin looked to be the picture of calm. But his worries were soon put to rest as the freak storm passed and a little bit of sunshine even peeked out.

OFF TO GET DRINKS! I'm sure Steevin needed a little something to calm down but I was just ready to kick back, enjoy an adult beverage and soak up the ambiance and enjoy New Years Eve EVE. After our beverages and some more furious texting that I totally missed we roamed the park, got some photos and rode rides. I wish I could be more specific but this part is a bit of a blur because everything else was just so fantastic! So here, have some photos instead:

557980_974162618403_1036734988_n.jpg

547857_974163137363_1947830392_n.jpg

66875_974163506623_1458084603_n.jpg

Once its got dark we headed over to Disneyland. While we were walking over, Ashley said "Hey! Did you know that Suburban Legends is playing at Tomorrowland Terrace tonight?" I did not know! What fortune to have gone to Disneyland the day that one of my favorite bands is playing! Its ALMOST as though someone planned for us to come on this very day! ;) (In case you don't know, which is very probable, Suburban Legends are a local Ska/Funk band that I first saw play in DCA awaaaaaay back in 2003 before I moved to California and they have now done some world tours and stuff. And they are one of my favorites!)

So Steevin decided that we should all go see the 8pm show. Hooray! Now at this point Matt and his friend decided they wanted to go do their own thing for a while. I was totally okay with that. I mean, we all come often enough, go have a good time! But Steevin just about had a (very quiet) panic attack. I found out later that right after Matt left with his friend to go check out Main Street he got two very angry texts from Ashley and Steevin telling him he better get his @$$ back here pronto. LOL! I think it dawned on him then, what was about to happen because he hightailed it back and just told me he already got bored of going off on his own. LOL!

Steevin made us go shop in Star Traders for a while because he didn't want to get there before their previous set ended. We headed over there about 5 minutes before their next set. Jon and Steevin stood back a bit (Steevin was showing him how to use his video camera... you know... just in case anything unexpected happened) and the rest of us got close to the stage with Ashley texting furiously next to me. Wooo! Here they were in all their Ska-goodness! Suburban Legends!

I started singing along and bopping away. Ashley came up next to me and Kate and took one look at Kate and said "I need your beanie!" and yanked the green kermit the frog beanie off her head and took one look at my bewildered face and just said "My head is cold." and turned around and left. I shrugged my shoulders and went back to grooving to my band.

Soon they start playing one of my favorite songs called "This Cherry" and I was all "Yeah!!!" and jumping and having a grand old time. And tha'ts when one of the guys from the band was suddenly on the dance floor. This isn't all that uncommon and they often get down and run around giving high-fives of or something. But this time he had everyone get in a circle and then get on their knees. I had never seen this before!

So he calls for everyone to be quiet and then calls someone to the middle of the floor. Hey... that's MY boyfriend walking out there. Wait... what is he doing? Oh... my... god... This is it! I immediately start shaking and shoved my purse into Kate's hands and said "Here! Take my stuff!"

Steevin stepped to the middle of the circle and said "Beth," and put his hand out and I just sat there shaking like a leaf until Aaron (the band member on the floor) gave me a little push. Everyone started cheering and Steevin shouted "Hold on!" because he knew if he didn't say his little speech right then, he was going to cry. I was already doing enough of that for the both of us. He said his speech (thank god, Jon was recording because I would never had remembered what he said!) and then got down on one knee and gave me the most beautiful ring ever and asked me to be his wife. I said yes!

Betherella

Original Poster
Here is a video of my proposal:

If you don't want to watch the WHOLE video, feel free to skip ahead to the 2 minute mark which is where the proposal happens. :D If you cry, you can't blame me. I'm already here sobbing up a storm just remembering it! ;)

After the greatest proposal and a GIANT group hug from everyone at the show, the band played a ska version of Kiss The Girl and held everyone off the floor so we could dance to that as our first dance as an engaged couple. The rest of the show was a blur full of hugs from our friends.

Betherella

Original Poster
tumblr_mfz2qcA3pT1s2n3x1o2_500.jpg

Steevin designed the ring himself. Its is 18K Palladium white gold mounting with paterning, sterling silver inlay accents, and platinum bezels (whatever all that means! Its pretty!)

The 5 Diamonds are the diamonds given to Steevin by my dad. They were the diamonds from my Grandma's wedding ring, giving my ring over 60 years worth of love power!

Steevin's words: The design itself is suppose to resemble a Galaxy with the Diamond in the center being the sun, and the others being it’s neighboring planets and stars. Betsy is my entire universe and I can’t imagine venturing through life and uncharted territory without her.Also, the ring features a delightful little hidden mickey for funsies.

Yup! He put a little hidden Mickey in my ring! I love this guy!

Betherella

Original Poster
After the proposal we had some pictures with the band (and a HUGE thanks to Ashley who works at the park AND knows the band and pulled some strings to make this happen for us!) and then had a little impromptu photopass engagement session:

538528_404017993008923_1207240042_n.jpg

A random guest took this shot and posted it to the bands Facebook page. I love it!

406650_404018073008915_861976010_n.jpg

Brian Klemm telling Steevin he better "kiss the girl". I agree!

542065_404018096342246_493366741_n.jpg

Photos with some of the band!

This reminds me, remember earlier when I said Ashley stole Kate's hat for what appeared to be no reason? She told the band to look for me and that I was wearing a green hat. But she realized once they were already on stage and couldn't read texts that Kate and I were BOTH wearing green hats. LOL! So she stole Kates (and returned it after the show) so they wouldn't get confused.

67897_974170342923_1535303105_n.jpg

644317_974170173263_482139067_n.jpg

Everyone pointing at my ring!

We ended the evening at the Hearthstone Lounge with drinks and celebrating. It was the best day ever! (So far!)

WDW_Princess24

Congratulations on your engagement! Such a great story! I absolutely love how he incorporated your grandmother's diamonds in his design, so awesome!!

Betherella

Original Poster
Congratulations on your engagement! Such a great story! I absolutely love how he incorporated your grandmother's diamonds in his design, so awesome!!
Yes, having her diamonds is so special to me. It REALLY brings a whole other layer of sentimental value to the ring for me. And her and my Grandpa were together for 60 years so its a good reminder that with hard work and love you can make it. :)

WLBound

This was such a sweet story. Congratulations on your engagement! I love that he custom designed your ring and the Hidden Mickey. He's a keeper just for that alone.

Betherella

Original Poster
This was such a sweet story. Congratulations on your engagement! I love that he custom designed your ring and the Hidden Mickey. He's a keeper just for that alone.
Its so cool that I can just open my hand and see a little mickey there that is just for me. :)

Tidbit

ok ok ok ok ....NOW you have me in tears!!!! Once I read the story, and saw the ring with "it's" story!! The way he proposed, and designed the ring is every woman's "dream" come true! Tell him his ring design is amazing! I love it, and can't wait to see what ya'll have in mind for the wedding bands!! CONGRATS!

Betherella

Original Poster
ok ok ok ok ....NOW you have me in tears!!!! Once I read the story, and saw the ring with "it's" story!! The way he proposed, and designed the ring is every woman's "dream" come true! Tell him his ring design is amazing! I love it, and can't wait to see what ya'll have in mind for the wedding bands!! CONGRATS!
LOL! I told you I couldn't be held responsible if you cried. ;)
I'm actually a weird one and I don't want a separate wedding band for myself. I have really skinny fingers and I just think two rings on one finger look super awkward on me. And Steevin packed enough love into one band that I'm going to just use this ring as an engagement/wedding ring combo. Steev, on the other hand... well we're working on his ring now. :)

Fantastic! One day, I hope.
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Cassie S.

Thank you so much for honoring my request and posting this story! What an unbelievably thoughtful proposal! I'll say it again, you two are made for each other!!

Tidbit

LOL! I told you I couldn't be held responsible if you cried. ;)
I'm actually a weird one and I don't want a separate wedding band for myself. I have really skinny fingers and I just think two rings on one finger look super awkward on me. And Steevin packed enough love into one band that I'm going to just use this ring as an engagement/wedding ring combo. Steev, on the other hand... well we're working on his ring now. :)

Yeah, you warned me! LOL!! It was just sooooo sweet how he took so much time an effort to make it perfect for YOU. Especially, for someone that has to be sort of dragged into the parks that he made it happen AT the park!!! Way to go Steev!!!!

No, I can totally understand only wanting 1 ring. I also have very tiny hands too, so my engagement ring looks "just" big enough on my tiny hand and then we found the perfect wedding band to match that is small enough to go with the other. Now I just gotta get the date pinned down, but we are in no hurry.......May 18th will be our 17th anniversary of being together, so ya see no hurry! LOL We are also thinking of an October wedding because we 1) love that month, 2) want to make it a sort of Halloween/Horror theme, and 3) the Honeymoon in the fall "might" be to visit Salem, MA......duh gotta go during Halloween! LOL.

Can't wait to read many many more trip reports, and see "HIS" ring.......is he designing that one too?[/quote]

Betherella

Original Poster
Can't wait to read many many more trip reports, and see "HIS" ring.......is he designing that one too
[/quote]
He is designing his ring but we are going to see how much it costs and then decide from there if that's the route we want to go. We've found a few other rings that we like but they have some elements that the place that made my ring doesn't have so its still up in the air at the moment. :)

Thank you so much for honoring my request and posting this story! What an unbelievably thoughtful proposal! I'll say it again, you two are made for each other!!
Thanks Cassie! I feel like we're perfect for each other too!

LOVE this!!! How awesome are Steevin and your frineds for setting this all up?! I love how he used your grandmothers diamonds!! :)
Aren't they all the best?! I love that he used the diamonds too. Her and my grandfather were two of my favorite people but they passed away before Steevin was in my life so he never got to meet them. I love that they still have their place in our relationship even though they're not here anymore. :)

Californian Elitist

What a very cool and sweet story! If you can tell by my avatar, I LOVE Disneyland, too, and I honestly don't know how many times I've been. Unlike you, though, I've yet to make it to Florida.:(:(:( One day, hopefully in 2016 or 2017!

Congratulations!

P.S. Can't wait for Mickey and the Magical Map.:D

Betherella

Original Poster
What a very cool and sweet story! If you can tell by my avatar, I LOVE Disneyland, too, and I honestly don't know how many times I've been. Unlike you, though, I've yet to make it to Florida.:(:(:( One day, hopefully in 2016 or 2017!

Congratulations!

P.S. Can't wait for Mickey and the Magical Map.:D
Thank you! I think you'll love WDW when you can go. Disneyland holds a special place in my heart because Walt walked there, you know? But WDW is just wonderful!

Californian Elitist

Thank you! I think you'll love WDW when you can go. Disneyland holds a special place in my heart because Walt walked there, you know? But WDW is just wonderful!

Oh, I know haha. Nothing like walking out of Main Street, looking to your right and catching a glimpse of the light in the apartment.

I seriously can't wait for WDW!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom