Other than Villains, what should the Beyond Big Thunder expansion be themed to?

Other than Villains, what should the Beyond Big Thunder expansion be themed to?

• Total voters

imagineer97

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I know that Villains would win this poll in a landslide, so let's just leave that out of it. Also, I think most people would prefer a non-single IP land, but we all know that's unlikely. I'm going with what has been talked about both at D23 and on these boards. I know that some of these have also been put forth for Animal Kingdom, but this is just to measure people's preferences.

Phicinfan

Honestly the win for me here is Villains land. If that is part of this than I am open to whatever else is added if it adds depth to and rides to the park.

That being said, I can see RSR fitting as the background fits, but would much prefer some new IP(if it has to be IP) like Coco or Encanto. Heck I would be thrilled with a walk through Magic house from Encanto that allows kids to pick a door and see what their magic power might be. Seems like that would be low cost to do

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Sad that the only options are IP based. How about something new and creative? An expansion on Adventureland, a new concept maybe similar to (I can't think of the name of it) that concept of IJA, Jungle Cruise, and the cart coaster tie-in that was pitched for CA? A lost expedition maybe?

I know it's easier to put Goofy's Sky School beyond big thunder, and i'd bet it's something they'd be willing to do, but that's not why we fell in love with Magic Kingdom.

neo999955

In the Parks
No
If not Villains land, I'd like to see an underwater area (I suppose similar to DisneySea) with Moana as the headliner. I know almost no one will agree with that, haha.

Obviously, villains is my top pick. Of those above, my second pick would probably be Coco cause it could be so beautiful and Encanto is supposedly heading to AK.

JIMINYCR

Cars Land. Yes it's redundant given there's one in Cali but it would be impressively difficult for Disney to mess up a copy/paste job like this.
Redundant? It’s an impressive attraction and many WDW goers will never go to DL, so with a build it’s a win for them. I wasn’t expecting to go to DL ( always had hopes ) but circumstances happened so it happened and Cars Land was a highlight for me. Nothing says something in one park must never be built in another. Sure, Dis thought is that it makes guests go elsewhere but that’s not always feasible. Most guests I’m fairly certain don’t have the means , time, finances to jet off to all Disney sites.

Brer Panther

I chose other. I wouldn't want another land tied to one movie/franchise.
That being said, I have no idea what it should be.
I agree. The idea of a single franchise-based IP land in Magic Kingdom feels kind of weird to me. Plus, I think Indiana Jones would probably work best in Adventureland if we're gonna put it in the Magic Kingdom.

I'd love an East Coast Cars Land, but I think it'd fit better in Hollywood Studios.

In the Parks
Yes
A brutally honest hot take that would make millions question why:

The Owl House

I know it's probably not the most recognizable thing to ever come from Disney, other than its massive fandom and memorable scenes that came from this awesome series, and I know it wouldn't work in the current Florida right now for obvious reasons, and yes it ended and Disney has moved on to more important things, but honestly, they've also moved on from Elena of Avalor too and yet she still has a decent in park presence(despite millions of guests not knowing who she is, and that show wrapped up in 2020 to not much fanfare), but what could make TOH a dark horse contender to be a part of the potential proposal is that it can actually compete with Universal's Wizarding World of Harry Potter lands, despite the boy wizard being more recognizable than Luz Noceda is, but honestly TOH is better than Harry Potter in my honest opinion.

Also, the world building of this show would come to life at the Magic Kingdom, and it could potentially save Disney by turning a show that was only modestly popular aside from its fandom to end up being a quality mini-land with the show itself someday becoming a cult classic (like Cars Land at DCA was, except that was based on a modest box office hit movie, which made billions back from its toy line), with a coaster themed to Hooty inside the titular house, have residents of the isles visit and greet guests, enjoy some treats and special drinks inspired by the show, to finally give Disney TV Animation that more in park representation it truly deserves, especially after delivering with Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway being a hit, that was a collaboration with Disney Television Animation(the guys behind those Mickey shorts that just wrapped up recently).

Honestly at this point, I think they'll finally look at this show and say, "Look at that, the animated show about owls that didn't fit our brand, we shall give this a second chance by turning this into one of our potential choices for our Beyond Big Thunder Mountain proposal?"

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
A brutally honest hot take that would make millions question why:

The Owl House

I know it's probably not the most recognizable thing to ever come from Disney, other than its massive fandom and memorable scenes that came from this awesome series, and I know it wouldn't work in the current Florida right now for obvious reasons, and yes it ended and Disney has moved on to more important things, but honestly, they've also moved on from Elena of Avalor too and yet she still has a decent in park presence(despite millions of guests not knowing who she is, and that show wrapped up in 2020 to not much fanfare), but what could make TOH a dark horse contender to be a part of the potential proposal is that it can actually compete with Universal's Wizarding World of Harry Potter lands, despite the boy wizard being more recognizable than Luz Noceda is, but honestly TOH is better than Harry Potter in my honest opinion.

Also, the world building of this show would come to life at the Magic Kingdom, and it could potentially save Disney by turning a show that was only modestly popular aside from its fandom to end up being a quality mini-land with the show itself someday becoming a cult classic (like Cars Land at DCA was, except that was based on a modest box office hit movie, which made billions back from its toy line), with a coaster themed to Hooty inside the titular house, have residents of the isles visit and greet guests, enjoy some treats and special drinks inspired by the show, to finally give Disney TV Animation that more in park representation it truly deserves, especially after delivering with Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway being a hit, that was a collaboration with Disney Television Animation(the guys behind those Mickey shorts that just wrapped up recently).

Honestly at this point, I think they'll finally look at this show and say, "Look at that, the animated show about owls that didn't fit our brand, we shall give this a second chance by turning this into one of our potential choices for our Beyond Big Thunder Mountain proposal?"
I feel like a Mystery Shack/Gravity Falls attraction or land is the more fitting choice given that Imagineering actually drew up some plans and tied-in with Frontierland. But, yeah... it's not happening either. Bridges were burned. Scorched Earth, etc. Any Owl House representation would likely be treated as a water down Harry Potter attempt by the fandom unless they somehow went to the extremes with theme and ride design. In reality, that show (as well as Gravity Falls) is just too niche for Orlando.

Worldlover71

Of the options listed, I voted for Coco because it would be completely new and the transition from Frontierland would blend well. I am apparently one of the few here who has no interest in a Villains Lair in the Magic Kingdom. To me, the MK is about light, not dark (yes, I love the HM and know I'm contradicting myself!)

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Villains gives them a lot of directions they can go in. Easily adaptable should there be a need to add “new” villains, or remove old ones. Would draw off the strength of multiple IPs instead of having to conform to one.

Alanzo

Redundant? It’s an impressive attraction and many WDW goers will never go to DL, so with a build it’s a win for them. I wasn’t expecting to go to DL ( always had hopes ) but circumstances happened so it happened and Cars Land was a highlight for me. Nothing says something in one park must never be built in another. Sure, Dis thought is that it makes guests go elsewhere but that’s not always feasible. Most guests I’m fairly certain don’t have the means , time, finances to jet off to all Disney sites.

Hey I totally agree, I'd love to see it in MK!

WaltWiz1901

I voted other - namely, either of these:
  • A land themed to a Mexican town; this wouldn't be fully reliant on Coco, but it would contain a Coco attraction and Santa Cecilia would be one of its visual influences (Lost River Delta and Arabian Coast at Tokyo DisneySea, not strictly themed to the Indiana Jones films and Aladdin but still drawing heavy influence from them, are two other examples of this thematic approach)
  • Something along the lines of Critter Country and/or the Grizzly Valley land from Brian Krosnick's (Park Lore) Magic Kingdom buildout; if one would so desire to put an IP attraction in, a Bambi Omnimover or Gravity Falls dark ride would fit well, and if one was so adamant on keeping an Autopia/Speedway-type attraction in the park, an antique cars ride (as is part of the aforementioned buildout) would scratch that itch perfectly

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom