Other possible closings Jan 2016

ljs1691

Original Poster
Right now I am very seriously considering pulling the plug on our first family trip to DL. DH and I were there Jan 2015 for our anniversary and fell in love with the pace and character of DL/DCA. We had always gone to WDW until our not so magical last trip in Sept 2013 and will not go back to FL in the foreseeable future.

We had intended to give a trip to CA to our two youngest kiddos for Christmas but with the newest addition of closings and the potential for several more things to be added to the list, I really hate to waste that much money for a half closed park. Yes I realize it is a big park, but the list really is getting longer than I am comfortable with.

I imagine IASW will almost certainly be added to the list. What else is likely to be added?

We have limited times of the year we can travel due to my DHs work. Otherwise I might try to maneuver around some of this.

GiveMeTheMusic

Right now I am very seriously considering pulling the plug on our first family trip to DL. DH and I were there Jan 2015 for our anniversary and fell in love with the pace and character of DL/DCA. We had always gone to WDW until our not so magical last trip in Sept 2013 and will not go back to FL in the foreseeable future.

We had intended to give a trip to CA to our two youngest kiddos for Christmas but with the newest addition of closings and the potential for several more things to be added to the list, I really hate to waste that much money for a half closed park. Yes I realize it is a big park, but the list really is getting longer than I am comfortable with.

I imagine IASW will almost certainly be added to the list. What else is likely to be added?

We have limited times of the year we can travel due to my DHs work. Otherwise I might try to maneuver around some of this.

IASW will stagger its closing because of Haunted Mansion. Look for IASW to close somewhere around January 20-something as opposed to the 11th. Right now we're looking at the following closing in early January for an extended period:

- Rivers of America (Mark Twain, Columbia, Canoes)
- Tom Sawyer Island
- Fantasmic!
- Disneyland Railroad
- Jungle Cruise
- Autopia
- Haunted Mansion (currently listed as reopening Jan 22)
- Soarin'
- Grizzly River Run

Permanent closures:
- Big Thunder Ranch
- Aladdin (DCA)

It's highly unlikely anything else of significant is added in January as the list is ridiculous as it is. Other refurbs will be staggered throughout the year. Splash usually goes down sometime in winter, no word if that's the case this year. Matterhorn and Mermaid are rumored for lengthy refurbs at some point in 2016, but that's also unconfirmed.

If you can live without the attractions listed above, then I'd say go for the trip anyway. Our Jungle Cruise is alright; nothing to write home about. Not dramatically better or worse than WDW's. WDW has a superior Haunted Mansion. Autopia either appeals to you or it doesn't. Soarin' is identical to WDW's. Grizzly is a nicer than Kali with more length and thrills, but still not a can't-miss marquee ride in DCA.

The Diamond Celebration is really great - Paint the Night and Disneyland Forever are truly breathtaking, and Hyperspace Mountain is really fun and unique to DLR.

Last edited:

George Lucas on a Bench

If HM does go down for a 4 month refurb, which it could use, I will likely not renew my AP. It's bad enough that HMH results in 5 months of downtime for the classic HM. This in addition to everything else closing and these pitiful new offerings like the bootleg Star Wars crap in Tomorrowland. I'll be back when the dust clears. How's WDW these days?

Californian Elitist

Season of the Force really is a tragedy.

Before a few days ago, I decided not to renew my pass, since the entire park will be receiving returns. Not to mention I'll be starting grad school next year and will be unavailable on Saturdays. I changed my mind when I remembered pancakes at River Belle will be going the way of the dodo (still pretty ed about that).

I can't remember a time when this many attractions were closed at once.

ljs1691

Original Poster
I'm planning to take more trips elsewhere besides a Disney theme park next year. Hoping to visit Nashville next spring.

Spring really is a good time to visit before the heat and humidity set in. Nashville is changing so much, I like progress but don't want to lose our home town feel. Hope you make it out this way.

Californian Elitist

You HAVE to go traipse around Gaylord Opryland for a few hours. It is insane.

Thanks for the suggestion! I know nothing about Nashville, in terms of things to do, so I'll take all the suggestions I can get.

Spring really is a good time to visit before the heat and humidity set in. Nashville is changing so much, I like progress but don't want to lose our home town feel. Hope you make it out this way.

Just saw you live in or nearby Nashville. I know who I can come to for thoughts and ideas. :) I love small towns.

In regards to your original question, if you haven't seen the 60th offerings, I think your trip will be worth it. Plus, with a little planning, you could do a side trip with your family. We've got a whole thread on things to do in Southern California.

GiveMeTheMusic

Thanks for the suggestion! I know nothing about Nashville, in terms of things to do, so I'll take all the suggestions I can get.

Just saw you live in or nearby Nashville. I know who I can come to for thoughts and ideas. :) I love small towns.

In regards to your original question, if you haven't seen the 60th offerings, I think your trip will be worth it. Plus, with a little planning, you could do a side trip with your family. We've got a whole thread on things to do in Southern California.

Eat at Monell's. It's unreal. There are a few, the one by the airport is my favorite - it's in a stunning old manor.

BrianLo

I can't remember a time when this many attractions were closed at once.

Errr... have we already forgotten last year?

From Micechat: http://micechat.com/92286-disneyland-gets-ready-for-60/

• Haunted Mansion: Closed to remove holiday overlay. Reopens January 23.
  • Magic Eye Theatre: Closed to remove Big Hero 6 preview. Reopening date unknown.
  • Matterhorn Bobsleds: Closed for refurbishment, reopens May 16.
  • Snow White Grotto and Wishing Well: Closed for refurbishment. Reopens May 1.
  • Critter Country, including Splash Mountain: All Critter Country attractions, stores and restaurants are closed for refurbishment and will reopen April 3, 2015.
  • Sleeping Beauty Castle: Castle will be closed for refurbishments and installation of 60th Anniversary overlay. The Enchanted Chamber gift shop and Walk-Through attraction are scheduled to reopen March 3. Castle overlay will debut by May 2015.
  • Disneyland Railroad: Closed January 26-February 12 for refurbishment.
  • “it’s a small world”: Closed January 26 through February 5 to remove holiday overlay.
  • Peter Pan’s Flight: Closes February 2 for refurbishment, reopening date unknown
  • Bakery Tour: Closed through January 26 for refurbishment.
  • It’s Tough to be a Bug!: Closed through January 29 for refurbishment.
  • Soarin’ Over California: Closed for refurbishment and enhancements. Reopens May 15.
  • Taste Pilot’s Grill: Closed refurbishment and enhancements. Reopens March 13.
  • Pacific Wharf Cafe: Closed for refurbishment. Reopens February 6
  • World of Color: Dark for refurbishment and enhancements. Reopens March 13.
  • Redwood Creek Challenge Trail: Closed for refurbishment. Reopens March 3.
  • Grizzly River Run: Closed January 20 for refurbishment. Reopening unknown.
  • Boardwalk Bazaar, Point Mugu Tattoo, Sideshow Shirts: Closed January 26-February 12 for refurbishment.
  • Ariel’s Grotto: Closes February 2 for refurbishment, reopening date unknown.
  • Luigi’s Flying Tires: Closes February 3 for conversion into new attraction. Opening unknown.
  • Muppet*Vision 3D: Dark indefinitely while theater is used for Frozen-themed show.
  • Blue Sky Cellar: Closed indefinitely.
  • Disneyland Hotel Monorail Pool: Closed through February 8 for refurbishment.
  • Grand Californian Hotel – Storytellers Cafe: Closed through February 6 for refurbishment.
  • Grand Californian Hotel – Mickey Pool: Closed through January 21 for refurbishment.
  • Grand Californian Hotel – Redwood Pool: Closed through February 3 for refurbishment.
  • Grand Californian Hotel – Mariposa Pool: Closed February 4-6 for refurbishment.
  • Grand Californian Hotel – Mariposa Spa: Closed February 9-11 for refurbishment.

Predictably people puffed their chest, threatened to cancel their AP's and instead DL was greeted with likely record annual crowds and what most consider a very successful effort for the 60th.

Honestly, I get excited the longer the refurb list gets. Maybe I'm just weird, but I am glad they are keeping up the pace established last year.

Californian Elitist

Errr... have we already forgotten last year?

From Micechat: http://micechat.com/92286-disneyland-gets-ready-for-60/

Predictably people puffed their chest, threatened to cancel their AP's and instead DL was greeted with likely record annual crowds and what most consider a very successful effort for the 60th.

Honestly, I get excited the longer the refurb list gets. Maybe I'm just weird, but I am glad they are keeping up the pace established last year.

I have forgotten nothing. None of those refurbs lasted as long as a few others will, starting in January. Not to mention, most of the rides that went down last year usually always go down. This year, Mansion will be going down twice, apparently, I don't remember the last time Autopia was down for over a couple of days, Jungle Cruise is expected to go down for a couple of months (don't remember the last time that happened), etc.

Take a look at the list you posted. A majority of the things on that list aren't even popular attractions. And people weren't threatening to cancel their APs over refurbs. LOL I don't think I've ever heard a lifelong Disneyland fan threaten to cancel their AP because a ride was receiving maintenance. We certainly weren't overly angry, either. We "puff our chests" and threaten to cancel our APs over other issues.

BrianLo

I have forgotten nothing. None of those refurbs lasted as long as a few others will, starting in January. Not to mention, most of the rides that went down last year usually always go down. This year, Mansion will be going down twice, apparently, I don't remember the last time Autopia was down for over a couple of days, Jungle Cruise is expected to go down for a couple of months (don't remember the last time that happened), etc.

Take a look at the list you posted. A majority of the things on that list aren't even popular attractions. And people weren't threatening to cancel their APs over refurbs. LOL I don't think I've ever heard a lifelong Disneyland fan threaten to cancel their AP because a ride was receiving maintenance. We certainly weren't overly angry, either. We "puff our chests" and threaten to cancel our APs over other issues.

I apologize, I interpreted your statement as the number of rides under maintenance factored into your decision to not renew your AP. I'm not sure what you meant by the statement below, which is what I was referring to:

Before a few days ago, I decided not to renew my pass, since the entire park will be receiving returns.

Autopia is going down to receive upgrades due to the new sponsorship. Jungle Cruise is also going down to receive an overhaul akin to what Tokyo received. I for one am glad to see long in the tooth attractions get a serious scrubbing.

I looked at the list again. I again fail to see how this really differs outside of the exception that ROA is dragging on for 18 months. Splash and Pooh were down for months and months. As was Pan, as was the entirety of Condor Flats (Soarin' + yearly GRR refurb), as was the Matterhorn, as was WOC. When lined up with the fact the castle was out of commission and IASW + HM received their yearly downtime for the seasonal change... how is this year meaningfully worse?

Californian Elitist

I apologize, I interpreted your statement as the number of rides under maintenance factored into your decision to not renew your AP. I'm not sure what you meant by the statement below, which is what I was referring to:

Autopia is going down to receive upgrades due to the new sponsorship. Jungle Cruise is also going down to receive an overhaul akin to what Tokyo received. I for one am glad to see long in the tooth attractions get a serious scrubbing.

I looked at the list again. I again fail to see how this really differs outside of the exception that ROA is dragging on for 18 months. Splash and Pooh were down for months and months. As was Pan, as was the entirety of Condor Flats (Soarin' + yearly GRR refurb), as was the Matterhorn, as was WOC. When lined up with the fact the castle was out of commission and IASW + HM received their yearly downtime for the seasonal change... how is this year meaningfully worse?

There are other factors that contributed to my consideration of not renewing this year. I'm trying to travel this country more, I have student loans to pay back, and I'll be starting grad school next fall, which will take up my weekends, the only time I get to hit up the parks. I didn't want to tell my whole life story, so I just mentioned the refurbs. I'm also trying to save for an international trip sometime in 2017 or 2018. Plus, I would only fail to renew this year, then pick it back up next year. As of right now, I have no plans to refrain from ever getting another AP. That might change, but we'll see.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom