Orlando Was Just Named the Best Food City in America

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Original Poster

WalletHub just released its 2023 report of the Best Foodie Cities in America, which broke down the best, and the most affordable, local food scenes in the U.S.

To determine the rankings, the team compared more than 180 of the nation’s largest cities, analyzing each across 28 metrics, including the affordability and accessibility of excellent restaurants, number of food festivals per capita, craft breweries and wineries per capita, restaurant diversity, Michelin stars, and more.

After weighing the data, the researchers named Orlando, Florida, the No. 1 food city in America. It won because of the diversity and quality of the restaurants — and for another very important reason: “Orlando has the most ice cream and frozen yogurt shops,” WalletHub noted in the report. Orlando also had some of the most coffee shops per capita and the most specialty-food grocery stores — and scored high in the affordability rankings.

Other top food cities in WalletHub's rankings included Portland, Oregon; Sacramento, California; Miami; San Francisco; Tampa, Florida; San Diego; Las Vegas; Austin, Texas; and Seattle.

WalletHub’s rankings also spotlighted a few standout cities that didn't make the top 10. St. Louis, the survey noted, has the most gourmet specialty-food stores of any city, and Miami had the most restaurants of any city surveyed.

TP2000

Not the least bit surprised. Once you get outside of the Disney bubble, there are a lot of great places to eat that aren't chains.

I'm glad you just said that.

When I saw the title of this thread I thought "Voted best food city by who? The Darden Corporation?" :rolleyes:

I must admit I've never dined outside the Disney bubble in Orlando. I only know "Orlando" mostly as MCO, Disney World, and the Beeline Expressway. If there is a good food scene in Orlando that isn't chain-based, then that is good to hear.

I'm not a total food snob, I do enjoy some chain restaurants, and they have their place. But it's those little, locally run operations that generally have the best food and most unique experience in any city. I'm suddenly glad to hear that Orlando has developed that for themselves.

BuddyThomas

The Travel and Leisure headline is misleading. The source they are citing is talking mainly about “affordable” meals, whatever their definition of that might be. I can virtually guarantee that Orlando is not the best food city in America. Also, this:

“It won because of the diversity and quality of the restaurants — and for another very important reason: “Orlando has the most ice cream and frozen yogurt shops,” WalletHub noted in the report.”

LOL.

Last edited:

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster
This article must be an April Fools Joke. For Orlando to have better pizza, bagels , Chinese food, diners than NYC,NJ is fantasy.

Pizza, I'll give you. Although I prefer Chicago Style.

Chinese food, Orlando's holds its own.
And Bagels, overall NY, but the best bagels I've had in my life, still come form one place in Orlando - Jeff's.

Lilofan

Pizza, I'll give you. Although I prefer Chicago Style.

Chinese food, Orlando's holds its own.
And Bagels, overall NY, but the best bagels I've had in my life, still come form one place in Orlando - Jeff's.
Chinese food in Orlando is trash compared to even hole in the wall take out in NY, NJ and many dining options in those states.

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster
Chinese food in Orlando is trash compared to even hole in the wall take out in NY, NJ and many dining options in those states.
I'll meet you at Taste of Chengdu for lunch.

If there's one thing I adore it's shutting up New Yorkers.

Lilofan

I'll meet you at Taste of Chengdu for lunch.

If there's one thing I adore it's shutting up New Yorkers.
Any real authentic place hole in the wall or sit down has chow fun/ ho fun noodle with choice of protein. Taste location didn't even know what that is. Didn't even know what cold sesame noodle appetizer was also.

Lilofan

Houston has better Chinese food than Orlando. Better Mexican food. Better BBQ.
Visited TX specifically Houston many times. I was advised by locals , two basic food groups in TX- BBQ and Mexican food. No sauce really needed for finger licking good BBQ especially at The Salt Lick near Austin.

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
I must admit I've never dined outside the Disney bubble in Orlando. I only know "Orlando" mostly as MCO, Disney World, and the Beeline Expressway. If there is a good food scene in Orlando that isn't chain-based, then that is good to hear.
I used to be like this until i actually lived there from 2015-2020. My idea of Orlando was just like yours, but it's so much more! I'd never live there again but it really is one of the best cities in Florida once you get outside the tourist areas.

Lilofan

I used to be like this until i actually lived there from 2015-2020. My idea of Orlando was just like yours, but it's so much more! I'd never live there again but it really is one of the best cities in Florida once you get outside the tourist areas.
Off the beaten path where one can eat in one of the many Latino roach coach options off the main road with thousands of locals sober and many not so sober , watch the kids drag race up and down the street until 5am weekend nights is the infamous South Orange Blossom Trail where the world's oldest profession is also parading up and down the Trail gaining clients.

Lilofan

Salt Lick is amazing.
Not exactly the same but better than the average Orlando BBQ is Cecil's
Texas BBQ near downtown Orlando, near the former Pulse nightclub. The owners from TX have been there for many years serving the usual smoked meats and the sides are very good especially the spicy jalapeno beans.

Last edited:

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster
I'd never live there again but it really is one of the best cities in Florida once you get outside the tourist areas.
Exactly. We're likely on our way out of Orlando (and Florida altogether) in the next year, so we're trying to enjoy as much of Orlando as is possible.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom