Original Alice in Wonderland Ride

Miru

Wow! I love how natural the park looks and they dont use cartoony shades of paint on the buildings like they do now. Everything now is so overly colorful.
I’d argue the old facades are more gaudy than the 1983 ones and perhaps slightly moreso than Enchanted Wish. EW’s exterior would have worked well with more color contrast, with some parts having more natural colors.

SuddenStorm

I’d argue the old facades are more gaudy than the 1983 ones and perhaps slightly moreso than Enchanted Wish. EW’s exterior would have worked well with more color contrast, with some parts having more natural colors.

I think he was talking about elsewhere in the park- the Castle, Tomorrowland, Main Street being the biggest examples. I don't think there's a person alive who prefers the old carnival tents to what they did in '83, except for maybe those who miss the Chicken of the Sea Ship.

Sailor310

I think he was talking about elsewhere in the park- the Castle, Tomorrowland, Main Street being the biggest examples. I don't think there's a person alive who prefers the old carnival tents to what they did in '83, except for maybe those who miss the Chicken of the Sea Ship.
I don't know that I prefer the old carnival tent, but I DO really miss the Chicken of the Sea ship. What's not to like about having a pirate ship to play on or taking your hot tuna melt behind the Skull Rock waterfall and eating in a grotto along the water??

Okee68

Somebody in my dark ride Discord server posted this new Toad photo a few days ago; the same person who found all those audio recordings. This photo is apparently from 1955.

unknown[1].png

One of the original wooden devils is visible, and somebody pointed out that you can actually make out a bit of its tail in the classic black and white photo just below the center teeth of the demon mouth. Also notice how the fire and letters are painted differently in the two shots, and how one tooth that's chipped away at the bottom in the black and white photo is fully intact in the color photo.

The intact tooth in particular leads me to believe that the black and white shot was taken later on, possibly by Yale Gracey's crew right before the 1961 overhaul just for the sake of documentation.

Hell #1. Jaws of Hell - 1950s.png

Sharon&Susan

Somebody in my dark ride Discord server posted this new Toad photo a few days ago; the same person who found all those audio recordings. This photo is apparently from 1955.

View attachment 651273

One of the original wooden devils is visible, and somebody pointed out that you can actually make out a bit of its tail in the classic black and white photo just below the center teeth of the demon mouth. Also notice how the fire and letters are painted differently in the two shots, and how one tooth that's chipped away at the bottom in the black and white photo is fully intact in the color photo.

The intact tooth in particular leads me to believe that the black and white shot was taken later on, possibly by Yale Gracey's crew right before the 1961 overhaul just for the sake of documentation.

View attachment 651275
The teeth look like they're covered with blood, Walt wasn't messing around. lol

VicariousCorpse

I don't think that's the tail were seeing in the black and white. Maybe just a cord for lighting that had fallen just beyond the archway? If the devil is the same position, I think we would see more of him in this photo.

This shows how much larger the black and white welcome is and how we would see more of the devil if it hadn't been repositioned or removed. I didn't line up perspective 100% but its mostly correct.

download (12).png

Last edited:

Dragonman

Apologies for the bump but I honestly really enjoyed reading through this thread, it’s definitely wonderful learning more about the pre-83’ versions of the Fantasyland dark rides.

I actually had a question of my own pertaining to WDW’s Snow White. Do any good photos of the witch pushing the beam in the mine scene exist? She’s always looked off model to me with the red eyes and the fact you can barely see her face most of the time.
FB57CBA2-91D8-44FC-B425-9C7998FA1E26.png

452167D7-8674-4161-8AE6-4F4F9151845A.png

I also discovered this video posted in 2021 recorded in May 1994 that features a ride stop in the Dwarves stairway scene allowing a better chance of hearing their dialogue. The ghost projection is also more visible:

VicariousCorpse

I actually had a question of my own pertaining to WDW’s Snow White. Do any good photos of the witch pushing the beam in the mine scene exist? She’s always looked off model to me with the red eyes and the fact you can barely see her face most of the time.
Here are a little better quality versions.

1994_April_Snow_Whites_Adventure_0015_a.jpgwitchinmine1.jpg

As for the red eyes and being off model, the rest of the witches had red eyes if I'm not wrong. She at least seems to be the same mold as the rest of the opening day witches.
dwarfcottagewitch.jpgfifthwitch.jpg

Dragonman

Here are a little better quality versions.

View attachment 706936View attachment 706938

As for the red eyes and being off model, the rest of the witches had red eyes if I'm not wrong. She at least seems to be the same mold as the rest of the opening day witches.
View attachment 706939View attachment 706940
Yes those definitely look much better. I’ve been used to seeing murky photos and footage of her so your enhanced views definitely show she wasn’t as bad looking as I thought.

VicariousCorpse

There are others who would know for sure. It's really hard to find stuff about individual effects. But to me, it looks like its stationary front half with the top half with arms teetering the dishes back and forth. Modern day equivalent???=
denton.png

Okee68

@vicariouscorpse do you know if the butler added to the DL version of Toad in the 60’s ever had a front side? It always seemed kind of odd with him facing away from the riders like that. Did he turn around as riders got closer?
View attachment 707267
Late reply, but the butler indeed only had a backside. As VicariousCorpse pointed out, his arm and tea tray would tilt precariously. The whole guy would also swing forward like a door when riders approached him, as if their motorcar had struck him right in his massive glutes—apparently so dense that the impact of the vehicle merely nudged him out of the way unscathed. If you look closely at that photo, you can actually see the black plywood board that connected the butler's legs to the door hinge on the right side of the room.

Dragonman

Late reply, but the butler indeed only had a backside. As VicariousCorpse pointed out, his arm and tea tray would tilt precariously. The whole guy would also swing forward like a door when riders approached him, as if their motorcar had struck him right in his massive glutes—apparently so dense that the impact of the vehicle merely nudged him out of the way unscathed. If you look closely at that photo, you can actually see the black plywood board that connected the butler's legs to the door hinge on the right side of the room.
Very interesting, thanks for the info!

Okee68

Some of you have probably seen this by now, but a while ago there was a new scan of the 1980 Fantasyland souvenir film that was uploaded on YouTube:

The entire thing is of a noticeably higher quality than any other scan that I've seen, and that applies to the dark ride interior shots as well.
rattus.png

Miru

Found a couple more SW photos that I haven’t seen posted here yet:
View attachment 706945

View attachment 706946

Also a much clearer shot of the Devils in MTWR
View attachment 706947

These all come from the same Twitter source as before and were originally posted in the Vintage Disneyland Facebook group.
I think the skull pile might be from the 1960s Peter Pan ride. The 1960s version made it a little more in line with the other two in terms of scare factor, and that may even have been based on David Hall concept art for the film.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom