Original Alice in Wonderland Ride

Okee68

So I put together a paper cutout of the Doorknob crash door scene. Because there's no known photos of the full prop I mainly went off of the character's design in the film. I'd love some feedback, especially from those who got the chance to ride it!
I bet that's almost exactly how it looked, my guy. You even got the position of the doors correct.

yensidtlaw1969

Well, these seems like it may be the thread to ask this question . . .

Does anyone know when the Cheshire Cat first appeared outside the ride between the Rabbit Hole and the nearby Bathrooms? I've always assumed he showed up with New Fantasyland in the 80's, but I'd be curious to know if he was there sooner.

1611968354637.png

Okee68

Well, these seems like it may be the thread to ask this question . . .

Does anyone know when the Cheshire Cat first appeared outside the ride between the Rabbit Hole and the nearby Bathrooms? I've always assumed he showed up with New Fantasyland in the 80's, but I'd be curious to know if he was there sooner.

View attachment 527810
Your question prompted me to look up "disneyland alice in wonderland 1982" due to a vague recollection of seeing a photo from the early eighties showing the side of the rabbit hole, but I came across this instead:
20150606-sa6000-disney_news_fall_1982-10[1].jpg

What's interesting about this publication is that the illustration of the Cheshire Cat seems to be based on the plywood flat in the old ride rather than anything in the 1984 version, so I created this really awful edit to make the drawing look slightly more like the flat:
1.png

Sharon&Susan

Your question prompted me to look up "disneyland alice in wonderland 1982" due to a vague recollection of seeing a photo from the early eighties showing the side of the rabbit hole, but I came across this instead:
View attachment 527889
What's interesting about this publication is that the illustration of the Cheshire Cat seems to be based on the plywood flat in the old ride rather than anything in the 1984 version, so I created this really awful edit to make the drawing look slightly more like the flat:
View attachment 527888
Interesting, looks like whoever wrote the article made a mistake when describing the placement of the Alice miniland. And it's definitely a mistake looking at the concept art that shows both Dumbo and Alice in it's final location (also it'd be impossible to fit Alice on such a small spot).
Disnews.jpg

yensidtlaw1969

View attachment 527889
View attachment 527888
Related - does anyone here have a copy of the Alice Facade Concept Art that's halfway featured in this article? I saw a thumbnail of it somewhere recently and seeing this bit reminds me of how I would love to see it full size. All the other Fantasyland Facade concepts like the Toad Hall painting in this article were widely published but I can't get my hands on Alice. I'd love a better look at what they had in mind!

Screen Shot 2021-01-29 at 11.28.58 PM.png

Last edited:

Sharon&Susan

Related - does anyone here have a copy of the Alice Facade Concept Art that's halfway featured in this article? I saw a thumbnail of it somewhere recently and would love to see it full size. All the other Fantasyland Facade concepts like the Toad Hall painting in this article were widely published but I can't get my hands on Alice. I'd love a better look at what they had in mind!

View attachment 527896
The red rose topiaries make me think that the Red Queen's grounds and Mad Tea Party were swapped in development (with Mad Tea Party being in it's original location and Red Queen serving as the finale).

I assume the leaf ramp would serve as the "Painting the Roses Red" scene, beginning of the indoor scene would be the croquet scene, Off with your heads and the escape afterwards.

I'm assuming they realized that the Red Queen scene should be larger than the Mad Tea Party, so they swapped the placement. Or maybe they realized that outdoors figures would require more maintenance work to keep them looking nice.

VicariousCorpse

Related - does anyone here have a copy of the Alice Facade Concept Art that's halfway featured in this article? I saw a thumbnail of it somewhere recently and seeing this bit reminds me of how I would love to see it full size. All the other Fantasyland Facade concepts like the Toad Hall painting in this article were widely published but I can't get my hands on Alice. I'd love a better look at what they had in mind!
Here's best I could find. The Cheshire Cat is sitting on a mushroom on the right side. If anyone else is interested the scan of the magazine from a few posts ago came from Disney News Magazine Fall 1982.
Alice Artwork.jpg

Last edited:

Clover Bailey

Adding to the earlier discussions of other pre-1983 Fantasyland dark rides, here are several additional views of Toad that were posted to the Walt Disney Archives Twitter account in October:
View attachment 528794
View attachment 528795
Apparently the Jaws of Hell originally had several bottom teeth which presumably didn't make it into the finalized ride.
I have a feeling that the photo of those two riders entering the train tunnel is probably the most accurate idea of how the black light looked on the actual rides, especially seeing how little Toad has changed compared to the other dark rides.

Okee68

I have a feeling that the photo of those two riders entering the train tunnel is probably the most accurate idea of how the black light looked on the actual rides, especially seeing how little Toad has changed compared to the other dark rides.
Yeah, the alternate version of the photo I just posted (the one that shows off the brilliant ultraviolet glow of the scenery) is definitely one of the absolute best shots of an original Fantasyland dark ride there is. Not only does it capture an accurate vision of what the old rides actually looked like, but it's also a view of one of the only scenes that wasn't left intact for the current 1983 ride.

Clover Bailey

Yeah, the alternate version of the photo I just posted (the one that shows off the brilliant ultraviolet glow of the scenery) is definitely one of the absolute best shots of an original Fantasyland dark ride there is. Not only does it capture an accurate vision of what the old rides actually looked like, but it's also a view of one of the only scenes that wasn't left intact for the current 1983 ride.
Were most of the scenes left intact? From what I've seen the 1955 and 1983 Mr Toad are similar, but still have very different show scenes. Was there more reused assets from the 1955 version than I realise?

Okee68

Were most of the scenes left intact? From what I've seen the 1955 and 1983 Mr Toad are similar, but still have very different show scenes. Was there more reused assets from the 1955 version than I realise?
I was referring to the general locations in the ride rather than exact setpieces. Toad Hall, the countryside, and Hell still occupy the same spots they did 65 years ago, even if their 1983 incarnations are considerably different from the way they were originally. Ratty's house, the harbor, and the warehouse are not only situated exactly where they were in 1955, but are borderline identical to their pre-1983 iterations. The rural hamlet before the harbor, however, as well as the stretch of woods and the railroad crossing following the warehouse, didn't make it past 1982.

Okee68

If I'm correct this is where the outdoor "suit of armor" scene is now, right after guests crash out the fireplace?
Yes, although the corner occupied by the suit of armor isn't visible from that particular angle. Using this photo as a reference, it's located at the corner to the left and directly right of the fireplace, exactly where one of the original miniature suits of armor stood.
1.png

In that screenshot of Claude Coats working on the set, you can actually see a diagonal support rod to the far right directly behind the crash doors that led into the main Toad Hall area; these were the first set of doors in the ride after the initial ones painted onto the queue mural. There was a short entrance room between the queue and the majority of Toad Hall so that guests waiting in line couldn't get any premature glimpses into the first real scene.

Sailor310

Adding to the earlier discussions of other pre-1983 Fantasyland dark rides, here are several additional views of Toad that were posted to the Walt Disney Archives Twitter account in October:
View attachment 528794
View attachment 528795
Apparently the Jaws of Hell originally had several bottom teeth which presumably didn't make it into the finalized ride.
Thanks for that picture. Things go by so quickly that one tends to look at the moving plywood cut outs. Looking at the scenery off to the right is incredible.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom