Options for children?

Caroline Treacy

Original Poster
Hi All,

I'm new here and although we're not visiting until Easter 2017 I've been looking at the restaurants and menus... AND getting a bit excited.

Some of the kids meals look ok but the usual burger/macaroni cheese/turkey sandwich isn't as exciting as some of the great adult meals I've seen. Can you ask for a child size portion of an adult meal in the table service restaurants? (we have DDP) Our kids love steak and salmon. I'll feel bad eating something nice while they have cheese pizza :-/ Also do kids have to use 2 credits in the signature restaurants? It seems as if the kids menus vary less from QS to TS to Signature?

We r in the resort for 14 days so would love them to make the most of the food on offer... Any help would be great :) X

Hockey89

I don't think they would ever make an adult meal into a child meal... What would they charge ect...Either have them order from adult menu or they will be stuck with the limited kids menu....

Figgy1

Premium Member
I hate to tell you most places will not substitute a smaller portion for children. You may have the most options at the buffets or family style places for having more choices. This is most true if they like character meals which can save you hours on lines waiting to meet them. IMHO

DfromATX

Kudos to you for your good eaters! Everyone has already answered your question, but I wanted to add that a good place to try would be 'Ohana at the Polynesian (Special & Unique and uses only 1 TS). Everyone eats the same delicious food. We love it and eat there every trip. You might also try to eat at other 'Special and Unique' places which use only 1 TS meal.

Caroline Treacy

Original Poster
Thanks everyone, I can't believe how much there is to learn for a trip to Disney, even breakfast was confusing (already had to Google grits and Gravy & Biscuits!!!). Ohana looks great, I've found a few others that have buffets we can all have and some signature restaurants with nice kids choices. We got the DDP free (we're in England) so happy to order an adult meal to split if it's something they love. They are OK eaters... Not so much with veggies tho! Xxx

DfromATX

Thanks everyone, I can't believe how much there is to learn for a trip to Disney, even breakfast was confusing (already had to Google grits and Gravy & Biscuits!!!). Ohana looks great, I've found a few others that have buffets we can all have and some signature restaurants with nice kids choices. We got the DDP free (we're in England) so happy to order an adult meal to split if it's something they love. They are OK eaters... Not so much with veggies tho! Xxx

You get the dining plan for free? Lucky! :)

Yes, don't worry, there will be plenty of food for sharing.

slappy magoo

Although kids have to eat off the kids' menu if they're using the dining plan...I'm fairly certain you can mix and match who is and isn't using the dining plan at any given meal. For example, if there's a meal where they don't like the kids' fare, you can tell your server that the adults will be using the dining plan, but you will pay for the kids meal (and perhaps they can share a single adult meal). At that point, you'll 2 extra kids' credits...which you can use for another meal at a Signature Dining restaurant.

As you've been told, buffet meals will solve most of your problems as they can eat whatever is being offered.

jaklgreen

When our kids were little we would always order 1 adult meal for them to split. The servers where always very nice and even brought them out on 2 plates. You can't do that on the dining plan so if you are keeping the plan then I would do mostly buffets. Or look at the menus, some of the table service restaurants have better kids options. I hate that Disney has such crappy food options for kids.

EvilQueen-T

My granddaughter isn't the type to eat chicken nuggets, pizza, or mac n cheese at every meal like the majority of kids menus offer. We've had good success with the kids menu's at Teppan Edo, Jiko, The Wave, California Grill, Narcoossee's, Citrico's, Artist Point, and Yachtman's. Other places like the buffets are always helpful too. My step mother is a really picky eater and they added to a kids menu item to make it an adult portion and while I'm not sure if they'd do that in reverse I'd consider asking if they'd split an adult meal between two kids.

Caroline Treacy

Original Poster
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I wanted to say we took loads of your advice and booked some of the buffets, Ohana, Cali Grill and Le Cellier/Yacthsman for kids steak... they might not turn into mini corn dogs after all! Thanks all xxx

Me 'Earties

Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate
Hi and welcome, Caroline! Late last month, we were at WDW, and had our kids (1.5 and 4 yo) eat at a mix of TQ and QS meals (note: we were not on DDP but we had roughly a QS and TS meal about every day). We try to mix it up for the kids, so they don't eat just burgers and dogs every day, although, they did have that for some meals. I have to say I was quite impressed with some TS meals, as they had steak, salmon, grilled chicken, etc. for the kids meal choices, so there are some good options out there (maybe not as interesting as some of the adult meals out there but some better choices nonetheless). I remember Coral Reef and Skipper Canteen having some of these choices. My younger son eats as much (if not more!) than his big brother, so it was nice to have some of those healthier options available. Buffets were also a big hit, especially for my older son, so he could pick what he wanted to eat (well, perhaps there was a little guidance from us-otherwise, it would have been all desert!). At some buffets like Boma, the kids can really get some interesting choices, just like the adults :). Or, like others have said, they can pick off your plate-the big eater (aka our one year old) did that many times!

Weather_Lady

Another option, as @Me 'Earties discussed, is to gravitate toward buffets and family-style meals where the kids can eat all the same things as the adults. Some examples are: Liberty Tree Tavern (MK, family-style at dinner, American Thanksigiving fare); Crystal Palace (MK, American buffet with Pooh characters); 'Ohana (Polynesian Resort, Polynesian-influenced family-style); the Biergarten (Epcot Germany pavilion, German-American buffet with live entertainment); Akershus (Epcot Norway Pavilion, prix fixe with appetizer buffet, 1 choice of entree and shared dessert sampler, with Disney princess characters); Tusker House (AK, African-influenced buffet with characters); Boma (AKL, African buffet); Hoop-dee-Doo Musical Revue (Fort Wilderness, live wild west musical dinner show with family-style barbecue; 2 credits on DDP but includes gratuities AND beer, wine, and/or sangria!!!); and many, many others. :)

jaklgreen

Another option, as @Me 'Earties discussed, is to gravitate toward buffets and family-style meals where the kids can eat all the same things as the adults. Some examples are: Liberty Tree Tavern (MK, family-style at dinner, American Thanksigiving fare); Crystal Palace (MK, American buffet with Pooh characters); 'Ohana (Polynesian Resort, Polynesian-influenced family-style); the Biergarten (Epcot Germany pavilion, German-American buffet with live entertainment); Akershus (Epcot Norway Pavilion, prix fixe with appetizer buffet, 1 choice of entree and shared dessert sampler, with Disney princess characters); Tusker House (AK, African-influenced buffet with characters); Boma (AKL, African buffet); Hoop-dee-Doo Musical Revue (Fort Wilderness, live wild west musical dinner show with family-style barbecue; 2 credits on DDP but includes gratuities AND beer, wine, and/or sangria!!!); and many, many others. :)

We did a lot of buffets when our kids were smaller. I would say that this is the best option for getting some decent food for your kids. My girls still love Biergarten and it is a must every trip.

md0u80a2

I 100% agree

We have a 13 day trick booked October next year and we are planning table meals so that all are buffet.

One exception is coral reef as the kids love it - but our top tip was because the baby didnt get a dining credit, we went to seasons in land, got a salmon plate meal using QS credit and brought it - they didnt complain as it was disney food!

Could you not do similar and scout a Table service with a nice QS next door and bring the food in? Might seem crazy, but if you want to enjoy a restaurant kids wont, anything goes.

The hastle free option is buffet all the way!!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom