opening process at Magic kingdom

parker kim

Could you help with the opening process at MK like do they still do the train pulling up things and decribew/ times? dose main st. open half hour before offical opening time? please help wanting to catch everything going on in the morning and don't want to arrive and find out We were to late.

MattyFresh

that is one thing i have never seen is the official park opening. I would also like to know times, and what all goes on. Or if its even worth stressing about.

Upvote 0

Vernonpush

They still do the Opening with the train and dancers and characters, but I don't think it's a half hour before official opening.
When we were there in November it was at park opening time. Of course, that was at a non-peak crowd time of year, and they may do it earlier to help with crowd control during peak times.:shrug:

Upvote 0

disney lover2

In 2005 we got to Blizzard Beach as it opened and whow what a great opening... one of the cast members takes the long slide on a count down and then its a nice cheerful rush to get a good bed and excellent spot... well worth getting there early.
We also got to Epcot before the main opening but this was not as grand just a cast member taking away a robe... but all fun.

Upvote 0

manda_01

I could be wrong so someone correct me if I am: During our last trip two years ago, we were at the gate at least 30 minutes before the park opened, and we were able to see the opening ceremony. (Special Family, Train, characters, confetti etc.) I think the park opened at the same time as Main Street, because the only people they were letting in past the gates were those eating breakfast at the castle.

Hope this helps!!

Upvote 0

parker kim

Original Poster
When we were there in 1998 about an hour before offical opening time main st. was open along with shops and we were held in the castle ropes til 9:00 the offical opeing time. That was so long ago I know I have heard It different now so nothing opens til 9:00 a.m. now?:shrug:

Upvote 0

KCBroadway

I can't remember an exact time, but I think the Magic Kingdom opening starts at either 15-20 min. before the actual opening time. I was there last summer and was able to see the show. There was nice music / the train came by and stopped with all the characters and dancers. There was also a family on the train that was selected to help open the park. They also do a count-down at the end of the show, which officially opens the park. Main Street opens officially and then you have to walk to the entrance of the lands to wait for those official openings. I think this is great because it prevents chaos and people running to peak attractions.

Animal Kingdom also does a great opening. A bus came by with Minnie and Goofy explaining what they need for the day (ie. sunscreen/camera) and then Mickey appears on this big lift thing right in from of the tree. It's neat.

Hope that helps!

Upvote 0
We were just there at Spring Break and we were at Magic Kingdom at opening. I asked about the opening ceremony because we had saw it last year (characters, train, etc.) during Spring break but was told by a cast member that they don't do the opening like that when the park opens before 9am. They let us in through the gate, but not into Main street. They handed out Mickey shaped confetti to throw at opening (8am) We ended up getting to go in a bit early because of breakfast reservations but no trains or characters then. It was a bit sad to me really because I had been looking forward to seeing it again. Still had a wonderful time though ;-)

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
In 2005 we got to Blizzard Beach as it opened and whow what a great opening... one of the cast members takes the long slide on a count down and then its a nice cheerful rush to get a good bed and excellent spot... well worth getting there early.
We also got to Epcot before the main opening but this was not as grand just a cast member taking away a robe... but all fun.
It is a shame you could have not seen the opening of Epcot during the Millennium celebration. There was a tear jerking motivational message by the man himself with Yanni music in the background that ended with the release of white pigeons errr I mean doves that flew within inches of your head.

Hands down best park opening ever!

Upvote 0

manda0125

Opening MK

HI
I always make sure I see the opeing of Magic Kingdom at least once while on my trip!! They only perform the "show" when the Magic Kingdom opens at 9am. So if an early morning entry day they will not do it. About 8:40 the music starts up and the Mayor of Main St. comes out to greet everyone, then the dancers come out and sing Good Morning, Casey Jr. and Zip a dee do da. Then the trian pulls in with the characters and a family. Mickey and the lucky family counts down from 10 and opens the Magic Kingdom. After the opeing the characters use to come down off the train station and file out onto Main St for meet and greet, but they stopped that. Like I said I love going to watch the show! It's a great start to the day!!
Manda:)

Upvote 0

Hummer1676

I was there on Monday and they did the Train, singalong, mayor speech, family countdown, and character greet. It was cool. I had never seen it. It is worth going to just to get on the rides early. I walked on to every E ticket ride within 2 hours of opening. The longest i had to wait was 5 minutes.

Upvote 0

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
The show typically begins about 15 minutes prior to a 9 AM opening. After the train bit (and another short song), they let you on to Main Street. However, the ropes are still up at the end of the street (and the Adventureland and Tomorrowland bridges). At 9 AM, a CM will walk people through into the rest of the park. When I last went, we were on the Adventureland side, and the CM's actually split up telling the people for Pirates should follow one CM, while the people for Splash or Big Thunder should follow the other CM. As we entered Frontierland, a few of the Splash Mountain characters were on hand to greet people on the bridge near the Splash entrance.

Upvote 0

NadieMasK2

Just a tip - if you really want to be able to see the train show, don't be at the front of the line. You are too far forward to be able to see much. We love being first in the line though, CM's gave my daughter confetti to throw for the countdown and we had some nice conversations with the CM's while waiting.

We ran toward fantasyland at opening (through the castle) only to find a rope in the castle blocking the entry. Oh well we were still first on Peter Pan. :animwink:

Upvote 0

JML42691

They no longer do the 30 minute early main street opening, but if you would like to get in the park early then all that need to do is book a breakfeast reservation at the Crystal Palace for 8:15-8:30 and they will let you in the park early (make sure you go near the right side by the stroller rental). They have CM photographers already out and it makes a great family photo with main street practically empty. See the following link to get an idea of what I am talking about. It was taken during Feb break '06 and the crowds out front were huge!!!

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s41/jml42691/DSC00018.jpg

Upvote 0

NadieMasK2

Sadly, we've never been up in time to be at any park opening. We've been to plenty of closings, though.

That's exactly how we were until a couple of years ago. My DH is not an early riser at all. I finally convinced him to go at opening one year, and he was so blown away by how much you can get done with little to no waiting that now he is a convert! And we still close the parks too. There is no resting in WDW!!!:lol:

Upvote 0

Craig & Lisa

It is a shame you could have not seen the opening of Epcot during the Millennium celebration. There was a tear jerking motivational message by the man himself with Yanni music in the background that ended with the release of white pigeons errr I mean doves that flew within inches of your head.

Hands down best park opening ever!
I remember that openning, I have it on video. Really great, and full of emotion. It started with a recording of a bunch of clocks ticking and then they all start ringing at the same time, then the music. Sweet!!:D

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom