Open for the day

disney08

Original Poster
I have always wondered something about Disney and specifically Magic Kingdom. I've seen on many tv shows and videos that when MK first opens in the morning everyone is lined up in front of a rope. Then some CMs remove the rope and everyone starts running to all the rides. I've seen this on Roseanne (which was a funny scene) but I've always wondered if this really happens. I've been to Disney many times in the morning but never saw it. Is this a myth?

Thanks

brkgnews

"Rope drop," as it is called, is MUCH more sedate now. It used to be a free-for-all run for it situation, but now it is a "calmly walk" type of thing.

coasterphil

The rope drope is quite lame now because you have to walk behind the CMs all the way to their attraction. It used to be drop, mad dash to get their first. I still remember my family running down Main Street and into Tomorrowland to be the first ones on SM.

RNRguy

the drop is a neat experince, even thought i didnt make it for the Mk one , we did get there for the MgM rop it was kewl!... and funny show too!- durin the rop drop wheni went ( a guy got loose and ran from park staff ) so they werre chasing him in the park!, it was funny!.

Jeff456

the drop is a neat experince, even thought i didnt make it for the Mk one , we did get there for the MgM rop it was kewl!... and funny show too!- durin the rop drop wheni went ( a guy got loose and ran from park staff ) so they werre chasing him in the park!, it was funny!.
Haha i would have loved to have seen that :ROFLOL:

Gorjus

All the parks have a double rope drop. They open the gates at one time, and then stop you further into the park at a rope leading to the rest of the park.

Have some of you been sleeping in of late? When they open the MK park, YES, people do run and run fast for their favorite section of the park. The "rope drops" 15 minutes before park opening and people are sprinting for, say, Space Mountain. However, they are dismayed, and Cast Members are amused, when a rope stops them on the bridges so they aren't getting out of the hub area until on the dot exactly. Then the area ropes drop and the sprinting happens again. Technically, MK has a quadruple rope drop. 1. open the turnstiles. 2. after the show, drop the ropes at the train station to let you on Main St. 3. drop the ropes at the 4 bridges leading to the lands. 4. drop the ropes at Toon Town.

At Studios, the entire park tips toward RNC or TOT after the rope drop show with a small percentage headed for Little Mermaid or Star Tours.

At Epcot it is evenly split towards Test Track/Mission Space and Soarin'

At AK, it is Safari or Everest.

eroyee

At Epcot they always try to keep people from going ahead of the CM's toward Soarin. At AK they have you follow Mickeys vehicle to KS. we were the first ones in the park at Epcot one morning from the main entrance. It was so cool. I just turned around and said yaaay. ha.ha. At MK we always head for Fantasyland. everyone else is heading to Tomorrowland or Adventureland. At MGM the TOT guy wouldnt let anyone go ahead of him....

DisneyGigi

All the parks have a double rope drop. They open the gates at one time, and then stop you further into the park at a rope leading to the rest of the park.

Have some of you been sleeping in of late? When they open the MK park, YES, people do run and run fast for their favorite section of the park. The "rope drops" 15 minutes before park opening and people are sprinting for, say, Space Mountain. However, they are dismayed, and Cast Members are amused, when a rope stops them on the bridges so they aren't getting out of the hub area until on the dot exactly. Then the area ropes drop and the sprinting happens again. Technically, MK has a quadruple rope drop. 1. open the turnstiles. 2. after the show, drop the ropes at the train station to let you on Main St. 3. drop the ropes at the 4 bridges leading to the lands. 4. drop the ropes at Toon Town.

At Studios, the entire park tips toward RNC or TOT after the rope drop show with a small percentage headed for Little Mermaid or Star Tours.

At Epcot it is evenly split towards Test Track/Mission Space and Soarin'

At AK, it is Safari or Everest.

We don't sleep in..:ROFLOL:We are always there for the show, I love it, especially to start our trip off. We always head to AL and wait for the rope drop to take off in a mad dash to Splash. People still run over the top of you!
I have never went to another part of the park first, we start the same way every trip, it jut wouldn't seem right any other way. :shrug:

ann0d1

I've participated in the rope jump run, with three kids! It is quiet an experience. This was years ago and know that I am in my forties I will never do that again! LOL The kids loved it! It was a crazy scene, and I couldn’t believe Disney would allow such a thing. I guess it is much calmer now!

Gorjus

I don't really understand the running thing. As long as you are there in the first half hour, you are going to walk on to the ride. The exceptions would be Dumbo and Aladdin or Rockets or Barnstormer. So whether you are the first family or the 50th family, you still aren't going to have to wait to ride Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, Soarin, Everest, etc. Why kill yourself.

coasterphil

I don't really understand the running thing. As long as you are there in the first half hour, you are going to walk on to the ride. The exceptions would be Dumbo and Aladdin or Rockets or Barnstormer. So whether you are the first family or the 50th family, you still aren't going to have to wait to ride Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, Soarin, Everest, etc. Why kill yourself.

It's part of the fun and experience.

Gorjus

It's part of the fun and experience.

May I deduce from your name that you are a thrill ride kind of guy Phil?

We already know that people get different things out of going to Disney. I'm not huge on thrill rides. Sometimes I'll go and just sit on Hollywood Blvd and enjoy the atmosphere of being in 1940's Hollywood or just sit and listen to the music on Main St and pretend I'm living in the time of Ragtime. OK, the later I used to do till I had to hear the Main St. soundtrack all day every day. I never thought I'd get sick of that. I love to sit in Liberty Square as well. I go to Disney to get a peaceful feeling in my heart...the ahhhhh, relaxed feeling. But I also understand people can get that from running and rushing and doing thrill rides. It is all in how you are wired.

drew81

I did run from Adventureland to the Mickey Floral when a character was out that I had wanted to meet for a very long time...Darkwing Duck

cooleo

I know that some people run to Tinkerbells Treasures (Left side behind Cinderella's Castle) to be the first ones there so they get to wake up Tinkerbell.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom