Online Check-In

Skooterkid

Howdies from Orlando! Well, I've been here for a week and have one more week here on International Drive before I head to Port Orleans Riverside. I've never stayed onsite before, so I'm really looking forward to it! I was just wondering, we can now do online check-in, but was wondering what is the point of it? We've still go to go up to the front desk to collect our room-key etc., right?

tiaragirl

It's worth it to go through Online Check In because, though you still have to go up to the front desk, the wait is often shorter and they have all your materials together so you don't have to wait for your packets! The time we did online check in it legitimately took 5 minutes to get everything squared away! I definitely see the advantage, especially if you're getting in later than you want and you're headed to a park, or you have little kids that won't want to wait! Sometimes the check in line takes FOREVER and all you want to do is enjoy the magic!

Upvote 0

dkosdros

My GF did the online check in today and told me I was pointless. She was bummed because she thought she might know if they were able to accommodate our request for the toy story building. Now we booked way back in March so I'm sure they will accommodate our request but she is worried. It will be nice to tell her that the online check in wasn't pointless and she just helped us save time in line when we get there. Especially because she is planning to hit downtown Disney the first night for some dinner and shopping. So she just gave herself more shopping time :)

Upvote 0

Rob562

I may be in the minority, but the Online Check-In is one instance of "serve yourself" where I don't participate. I actually like the personal interaction with the CM at check-in. Even though I've been to WDW 20+ times and have stayed on-site for at least 75% of those (sometimes at more than one resort in a trip) and I'd be perfectly capable of grabbing my key, getting my room number and walking away, I think the little bit with the CM helps get me in the Disney mood. I've had some great Front Desk CM interactions while checking in.

So while I know that some people like the speed of the Online Check-In, I typically suggest to first-time visitors that they skip Online Check-In and do the regular walk-up check-in.

-Rob

Upvote 0

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I'm all for convenience, but not at the cost of employment. On-line check-in, self-serve check-out at the store, etc... are all designed solely to get you to do more for yourself so the business can save money on staff.

Soon there will be no human interaction at all and the only people who'll have jobs will be those who no-one's figured out how to replace yet. I much prefer taking the extra few minutes and dealing with a human being, chatting pleasantly about WDW and what I'll be doing while there.

Upvote 0

Skooterkid

Original Poster
Thanks for your thoughts! Whilst convenience is important to us we do want to experience everything, so we might just give the online check-in a miss this time... but we might just give it some more thought!

Upvote 0

JiminyandTink

I'm all for convenience, but not at the cost of employment. On-line check-in, self-serve check-out at the store, etc... are all designed solely to get you to do more for yourself so the business can save money on staff.

Soon there will be no human interaction at all and the only people who'll have jobs will be those who no-one's figured out how to replace yet. I much prefer taking the extra few minutes and dealing with a human being, chatting pleasantly about WDW and what I'll be doing while there.

Great point! You just talked me out of on-line check-in for my upcoming trip.

Upvote 0

ratherbeinwdw

Howdies from Orlando! Well, I've been here for a week and have one more week here on International Drive before I head to Port Orleans Riverside. I've never stayed onsite before, so I'm really looking forward to it! I was just wondering, we can now do online check-in, but was wondering what is the point of it? We've still go to go up to the front desk to collect our room-key etc., right?
I love online check-in. I don't have to worry if I'm running really late that I won't get the kind of room I requested.
I know the rooms aren't guaranteed, but your chances are better if they know you will be there.
I love that my package is ready for me. Several people have said that there's no interaction; that's never been the case for me. I always have a nice conversation with the check-in cm. They still ask if I know the property, or if I need help with anything. They tell me about their property etc. The only thing you don't get is the long wait while they get your package ready, and the long wait in the standard line. This is expecially true around the 4:00 check-in time. They are simply trying to get people through the line and get them checked-in. We didn't use online, once, when we were booked at the CBR, and the wait was very long. We've never waited more than five minutes in the online line. In June, we stayed at PORS, and didn't have to wait at all. The cm was nice and informative. Even though we didn't really need the info, we gladly listened.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom