Once Upon a Time - TV Series

JoMarch

Original Poster
Is anyone else watching “Once Upon a Time” Sunday nights on ABC?

I actually first heard about it on my late summer trip to Disneyworld. There were posters on the resort buses. I was skeptical of the first episode…but it kept my interest. I wasn’t sure about the show though. I actually thought it would have made a better movie. Now, I really like it. I’m surprised ABC/Disney didn’t promote it more towards families. It seems pretty clean (so far…)

Here’s some Disney tie-ins I recently read about. Pretty interesting….

Fairytale and Disney Allusions

The show, as a production of Disney-owned ABC, contains multiple allusions to the Disney versions of the stories that form the basis for the series.

Snow White's dwarfs, unnamed in traditional versions of the story, here have the names they were given in the Disney film.

Similarly, Sleeping Beauty was cursed by an individual named Maleficent, again the name used in the 1959 Disney film for the wicked fairy godmother that lacked a name in many other versions.

In the pilot episode, Leroy (the real world counterpart to the dwarf Grumpy) whistles Whistle While You Work, a song written for the 1937 film.

Gepetto's fairy friend is called The Blue Fairy as in the 1940 Disney film, rather than The Fairy with Turquoise Hair and Jiminy Cricket rather than "the Talking Cricket," as in Carlo Collodi's novel.

It should also be noted that the princes from Snow White and Cinderella have been given the names of "James" and "Thomas" respectively. They were unnamed in their original Disney films and traditional versions of their stories.

In episode five, it was revealed that Archie Hopper had a dalmatian named Pongo, which is the same name of the main character in the 1961 film, One Hundred and One Dalmatians.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
I took note of the dalmatian named Pongo when I saw this week's episode. I knew the whole thing was produced by Disney, and the same fairy tale characters have been around for generations (Disney didn't invent Snow White, after all!), but I thought Pongo was kind of jarring.

I do enjoy the show, although the Evil Queen kind of p!sses me off every week. I'm easily annoyed by baddies!!

Minnie1976

I find it interesting and something different to watch. I haven't finished last night's show yet. A friend and I were discussing it and we both wondered why Snow White's husband in modern times had a wife that isn't Snow White.

PartOfYourWorld

This show is my new favorite show on television! I looove it!! I can't wait to see what's in store! I know Belle was casted not too long ago so her episode should be coming hopefully soon!

RonAnnArbor

Keep in mind that John Doe may OR MAY NOT be married to the woman who is visiting him in the hospital....remember that the Mayor controls everything in that town -- it's her happy ending...

SInce its written by the LOST folks, don't expect easy answers from week to week, and plenty of twists and turns down the road....

I love the show -- it's the most creative tv writing since Pushing Daisies...

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Emilie de Ravin, who played Claire on Lost, has been cast as Belle. She will be appearing in the Valentine's Day episode.

The writers also confirmed this week that Aladdin would be appearing in a future episode. And this week, if you were paying attention, at the end of the episode, when we saw the two puppets in Mr. Gold's (Rumpelstiltskin's) pawn shop, right next to them you saw...a magic lamp.

I also have a feeling that we'll find out that the Sheriff is the character we know as the "Woodcutter" from the Snow White Story.

SyracuseOrange

We've also seen long blonde hair flowing from a tower appear in a wide-shot once for like...a second. Rapunzel clearly will make an appearance.

I'm loving this show, but I actually found last night's episode to be the most boring so far.

JoMarch

Original Poster
I didn't know they were adding "Belle" to the story. Also, great catch about the magic lamp spotting in the last episode!

Ilovewishes

I saw this advertised when we were at WDW at the beginning of October but as we live in the UK, we haven't got it yet!

Does anyone have any idea if or when it is coming across the pond? I really want to see it!

Aggie Mom

I love this show. I completely missed Rapunzel's hair. What episode was that in?

I'm also trying to figure out why the Evil Queen would want to adopt a child. She was angry because her fiance died, right? So why would that motivate her to adopt? I can't decide if Henry (the boy, not the queen's father) is a character in Fairy Tale land or not. It doesn't make sense that he would be, since Emma was sent out through the magic tree. But, otherwise, he's just a random kid.

And, I really want to get my hair cut like the evil queen. ;)

I can't decide if Henry (the boy, not the queen's father) is a character in Fairy Tale land or not. It doesn't make sense that he would be, since Emma was sent out through the magic tree. But, otherwise, he's just a random kid.

i would say Emma and her biological son, Henry, are NOT in Fairy Tale Land.

I have to say the "puppets" creeped me out, so I missed the lamp thing. Thought the Pongo dog was cute but did not fit into fairy tales - just an animated movie. Love the show though!

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
I love this show. I completely missed Rapunzel's hair. What episode was that in?

I'm also trying to figure out why the Evil Queen would want to adopt a child. She was angry because her fiance died, right? So why would that motivate her to adopt? I can't decide if Henry (the boy, not the queen's father) is a character in Fairy Tale land or not. It doesn't make sense that he would be, since Emma was sent out through the magic tree. But, otherwise, he's just a random kid.

And, I really want to get my hair cut like the evil queen. ;)

Isn't the idea that the queen is the only one who realizes they're all cursed? In that case, she probably knew exactly who that baby was, and adopted him as some kind of control thing/leverage over Emma. I agree with what you say about Emma being outside of fairy tale land when she had him, but he's not really just a random kid, either--he's still Snow White's grandson, right? That's gotta have some significance, I figure.

i would say Emma and her biological son, Henry, are NOT in Fairy Tale Land.

I have to say the "puppets" creeped me out, so I missed the lamp thing. Thought the Pongo dog was cute but did not fit into fairy tales - just an animated movie. Love the show though!

The puppets totally creeped me out, too.

DizneyPryncess

I love this show! I loved Lost so I was excited to see something new from the people behind it. I just read on E! that they are looking to case Joanna Garcia as Ariel. So I guess that means a Little Mermaid storyline coming up too. Glad to see that others like it, I'm really hoping that it does well & sticks around for awhile. It's something different from all the crime & medical dramas out there.

Aggie Mom

Isn't the idea that the queen is the only one who realizes they're all cursed? In that case, she probably knew exactly who that baby was, and adopted him as some kind of control thing/leverage over Emma. I agree with what you say about Emma being outside of fairy tale land when she had him, but he's not really just a random kid, either--he's still Snow White's grandson, right? That's gotta have some significance, I figure.

I guess what I'm thinking is:
--Henry is Snow White's grandson
--Henry was born outside of Fairy Tale or Storybrooke
--The queen wanted to adopt--why? Would she have adopted any kid? Is she trying to atone for killing her father? This doesn't seem to fit her character that she would adopt just because she wanted a baby.
--The queen gets Henry--why? We know that Mr. Gold/Rumplestiltskin procured Henry for the Queen in Storybrooke. The question is, did the queen know who Henry was before Emma arrived? Was bringing Henry to Storybrooke an elaborate plot by Mr. Gold?

I don't think it would make sense for the queen to seek out Henry to adopt him. Henry was born in the real world. If he's not adopted by the queen. He's just some random kid growing up in the real world that has nothing to do with her. Because he's adopted by the queen, Henry becomes dangerous (because now there is a connection between Emma and Storybrooke--there wouldn't have been a connection otherwise). Had Henry never gone to Storybrooke, Emma wouldn't have gone. Didn't they say that Emma would be the only person who could ever break the curse?

It seems like it would have been smarter for her leave Henry to the foster system. But, perhaps Mr. Gold/Rumple brought Henry in deliberately knowing that he would be the queen's undoing. That leads us right back to the question of why the queen wanted to adopt at all in the first place.

Aggie Mom

I love this show! I loved Lost so I was excited to see something new from the people behind it. I just read on E! that they are looking to case Joanna Garcia as Ariel. So I guess that means a Little Mermaid storyline coming up too. Glad to see that others like it, I'm really hoping that it does well & sticks around for awhile. It's something different from all the crime & medical dramas out there.

So true!

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
I guess what I'm thinking is:
--Henry is Snow White's grandson
--Henry was born outside of Fairy Tale or Storybrooke
--The queen wanted to adopt--why? Would she have adopted any kid? Is she trying to atone for killing her father? This doesn't seem to fit her character that she would adopt just because she wanted a baby.
--The queen gets Henry--why? We know that Mr. Gold/Rumplestiltskin procured Henry for the Queen in Storybrooke. The question is, did the queen know who Henry was before Emma arrived? Was bringing Henry to Storybrooke an elaborate plot by Mr. Gold?

I don't think it would make sense for the queen to seek out Henry to adopt him. Henry was born in the real world. If he's not adopted by the queen. He's just some random kid growing up in the real world that has nothing to do with her. Because he's adopted by the queen, Henry becomes dangerous (because now there is a connection between Emma and Storybrooke--there wouldn't have been a connection otherwise). Had Henry never gone to Storybrooke, Emma wouldn't have gone. Didn't they say that Emma would be the only person who could ever break the curse?

It seems like it would have been smarter for her leave Henry to the foster system. But, perhaps Mr. Gold/Rumple brought Henry in deliberately knowing that he would be the queen's undoing. That leads us right back to the question of why the queen wanted to adopt at all in the first place.

All very good points (especially the one I bolded)!! :lol:

I read in TV Guide last night that in the Dec 11 episode we will see how "dark and twisted" the EQ really is...when I get home tonight I'll edit this to show exactly what it said.

Here's a link to part of the story, the info about the queen was in a sidebar in the printed version, but I can't find it online.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Once-Upon-Time-Belle-1040187.aspx

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom