On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I still can't figure out why they did it.

It would have been a much smarter move to just raise the price of every hotel room by $15-20. Would have been a much bigger revenue boost and it probably would have gone mostly unnoticed, unlike the parking fee which made a lot of people angry.
1. Because they knew their customers were too gutless to stand up to them (Disney 3:16)

2. But they’ve reached their price ceilings on the hotels...much more than people realize. They’re almost tied to “adjusted for inflation” now. And that was during the biggest “boom” in the economy...ever.

I’m talking about the “wilderness lodge incident”

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
A lot of people use credit cards responsibly. There are numerous forums on reddit and other places when people not only use them responsibly, but they use them to their advantage. Churning and earning points for free vacations is a pretty big hobby.

That's how my wife and I made long distance work earlier in our relationship. Lots of card churning.

mkt

Premium Member
...that’s hot 💰

Added benefit. I had student loans at the time, and the extra credit lines lowered my DTI ratio.

But downside, my scores took a small hit, but it usually would go away after six months.

Since my strategy was to do two big rounds of applications every six months, the score hit was mostly negligible.

lazyboy97o

If the NDA includes a clause that prohibits you from posting your dismissal on social sites, and you sign it, then you've agreed to those terms. It's a contract.

It's one thing to update your resume on linkdin -- it's something else to rush to twitter or facetime to scream that you've been fired.

Would it be legal? I don't know.

But I know I wouldn't want to spend my severance bonus on lawyers to find out.
With a place like Walt Disney Imagineering where work is project-based there are no band on people saying they’re leaving because it happens frequently as part of the very nature of the work.

You were fired. Secretly. You just don't know it yet.

flynnibus

Premium Member
If the NDA includes a clause that prohibits you from posting your dismissal on social sites, and you sign it, then you've agreed to those terms. It's a contract.

Think this through - you're saying they could not acknowledge their dismissal - So what does that mean?? It means they can't say they no longer work for Disney. So who do they say they work for? If I say I work for Disney from 2010-present... but can't say I no longer work for Disney... Then you're saying I have to keep telling people I work for Disney?

You've come up with some theory - but not thought it through.

They can't bar you from acknowledging the separation. It makes no practical sense.

You're confusing topics like people who are still employed, but not able to discuss their planned separation with others... and topics like preventing disclosure of settlement terms. Both are very common. Neither means barring people from saying they've left a company after they've left. They can't require people to not acknowledge they are no longer employed after they are no longer employed.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
So what point are you trying to make? That Disney should be paying more? Or that nobody should work for Disney?

Again.. go back to the original post. The poster claimed "But I also reject the notion that everyone should trade in pursuing their dreams in favor of something they don't enjoy just because it is a safer choice"

Just because it's your dream - it doesn't negate reality. Dream jobs aren't necessarily practical... as the other poster who mentioned their art passion so simply illustrated.

Many people let 'dreams' cloud their judgement and get burned. That is on the individual.... now burn me at the stake for saying people have the responsibility to look before they leap.

TrainsOfDisney

Again.. go back to the original post. The poster claimed "But I also reject the notion that everyone should trade in pursuing their dreams in favor of something they don't enjoy just because it is a safer choice"

Just because it's your dream - it doesn't negate reality. Dream jobs aren't necessarily practical... as the other poster who mentioned their art passion so simply illustrated.

Many people let 'dreams' cloud their judgement and get burned. That is on the individual.... now burn me at the stake for saying people have the responsibility to look before they leap.

I’m not burning you at the stake... I asked a question. What’s the solution in your opinion?

Do you think Disney should pay more?
Or do you think people shouldn’t work for Disney?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’m not burning you at the stake... I asked a question. What’s the solution in your opinion?

Uh oh...I hear a “the free market is never wrong” coming...
1596394639037.jpeg

flynnibus

Premium Member

I said it in the last post (why do I have to keep repeating myself??) - People have the responsibility to look before they leap.

If I have a dream job of being a show designer but the offered jobs can't support my lifestyle I want... It's MY responsibility to identify that gap and stick to a employment situation that CAN support the lifestyle I want.... Not got Orlando and work for 2 years and cry "I can't afford to live on this job... "

mkt

Premium Member

Yes.

To this day, I have a memory burned in my head of one of my colleagues. This was in 2003. He was a character performer, and worked in Disney Character Events, which are the character performers who appear in press, do events off site and travel a lot for the company.

One day I worked an event with him, and he mentioned that with his per diems from traveling, and on average working 60 hours per week the previous year, he earned $43k.

43 grand... for basically giving your life away to the company. And he was already maxed out at the top of the pay scale.

No thanks.

PhotoDave219

I said it in the last post (why do I have to keep repeating myself??) - People have the responsibility to look before they leap.

If I have a dream job of being a show designer but the offered jobs can't support my lifestyle I want... It's MY responsibility to identify that gap and stick to a employment situation that CAN support the lifestyle I want.... Not got Orlando and work for 2 years and cry "I can't afford to live on this job... "

No but employers need to pay a wage that people can actually live on.

Alas, that is a debate we’ve had about Disney for at least 15 years on this forum.

At this point it’s all academic. *gestures wildly at chaos in the world*

TrainsOfDisney

Yes.

To this day, I have a memory burned in my head of one of my colleagues. This was in 2003. He was a character performer, and worked in Disney Character Events, which are the character performers who appear in press, do events off site and travel a lot for the company.

One day I worked an event with him, and he mentioned that with his per diems from traveling, and on average working 60 hours per week the previous year, he earned $43k.

43 grand... for basically giving your life away to the company. And he was already maxed out at the top of the pay scale.

No thanks.

In 2003 that would have been right around the average salary in the USA. That’s not me trying to prove a point at all... just stating a fact.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Think this through - you're saying they could not acknowledge their dismissal - So what does that mean?? It means they can't say they no longer work for Disney. So who do they say they work for? If I say I work for Disney from 2010-present... but can't say I no longer work for Disney... Then you're saying I have to keep telling people I work for Disney?

You've come up with some theory - but not thought it through.

They can't bar you from acknowledging the separation. It makes no practical sense.

You're confusing topics like people who are still employed, but not able to discuss their planned separation with others... and topics like preventing disclosure of settlement terms. Both are very common. Neither means barring people from saying they've left a company after they've left. They can't require people to not acknowledge they are no longer employed after they are no longer employed.
No. Read my typing. I'm saying they can't (if the provision is in the contract they signed) publicize their departure on social media, particularly in a disparaging manner.

That's only if they want the money/benefits. If they don't take the package, they're free to do what they want -- they didn't sign anything.

Have you ever been NDA'd as part of a layoff?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No but employers need to pay a wage that people can actually live on.

Alas, that is a debate we’ve had about Disney for at least 15 years on this forum.

At this point it’s all academic. *gestures wildly at chaos in the world*
Ok...I don’t want to get in this...but I can’t resist...

The problem is “supply side”...and that’s why it’s a bad concept.

Supply only matters if it can be purchased. And an economy where a significant portion has zero purchasing power is ineffective. Some people have more...but if everyone has “some”...it’s more stable.

Why do we have bubble economies? Because when an “opening” is found...people go nuts. Because there aren’t a ton of opportunities.

Ok...bye

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yes.

No thanks.
I hate to tell you...but that was a lot in 2003 at Disney

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom