Old Key West room location question

BuddyThomas

Original Poster
Hey there. Sorry to start a new thread just for this, but I posted it in an existing OKW thread and I got no answer. I also called Disney today and the person on the phone didn't know. Huh?? LOL. Anyway, here is the question:

We check in to Old Key West for the first time a week from yesterday. For online check in, can anyone tell me what area is closest to the main house (where you check in, where the restaurant is, etc). The three areas I'm being asked to choose from are:

Miller's Road Area
South Point Road Area
Old Turtle Pond Road Area

I have no clue about any of these areas and I know this place is huge, and we will not have a car, so we are hoping to be near Hospitality House or whatever it is called. I'm totally lost here, so if someone who has stayed there could chime in, that would be great and much appreciated. I might try calling Disney again tonight to see if I get a more knowledgeable reservationist.

Thanks in advance! :)

epcotisbest

Hey there. Sorry to start a new thread just for this, but I posted it in an existing OKW thread and I got no answer. I also called Disney today and the person on the phone didn't know. Huh?? LOL. Anyway, here is the question:

We check in to Old Key West for the first time a week from yesterday. For online check in, can anyone tell me what area is closest to the main house (where you check in, where the restaurant is, etc). The three areas I'm being asked to choose from are:

Miller's Road Area
South Point Road Area
Old Turtle Pond Road Area

I have no clue about any of these areas and I know this place is huge, and we will not have a car, so we are hoping to be near Hospitality House or whatever it is called. I'm totally lost here, so if someone who has stayed there could chime in, that would be great and much appreciated. I might try calling Disney again tonight to see if I get a more knowledgeable reservationist.

Thanks in advance! :)

Hey Buddy. OKW is great. Love the elegant yet relaxed theme and the grounds are lovely.
Here is a map that shows the locations mentioned. Yes, OKW is a huge resort, but the walk from any of the areas to the main check in area and mail pool is only about five-10 minutes.
Here is a map. Hope it helps. We stayed on the Peninsular Road area and loved being right on the waterway, where we looked at the boats headed to DS and had breakfast on the balcony every morning.

map-DisneyOldKeyWestResort-WDW.jpg

BuddyThomas

Original Poster
Hey Buddy. OKW is great. Love the elegant yet relaxed theme and the grounds are lovely.
Here is a map that shows the locations mentioned. Yes, OKW is a huge resort, but the walk from any of the areas to the main check in area and mail pool is only about five-10 minutes.
Here is a map. Hope it helps. We stayed on the Peninsular Road area and loved being right on the waterway, where we looked at the boats headed to DS and had breakfast on the balcony every morning.

View attachment 171746
Thank you!!

epcotisbest

Thank you!!

To go into more detail, buildings 11-16 and 62-63-64 are closest to the main Hospitality House and Olivia's restaurant and main pool. Those are most popular and kinda harder to get, plus some of those buildings have elevators while others at OKW do not, so the one's with elevators are more popular for people who have difficulty with stairs. I don't remember which buildings have elevators, but they are near the Hospitality House.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
We are actually pretty big fans of being back on Turtle Pond road near the 'quiet' pool and snack bar back there. You can catch any bus to the Hospitality House (that's the last bus stop before heading to the parks). Then if you walk across Peninsular Road to the first bus stop you can get back to Turtle Pond area quick and easy. It's a little quieter back there than up by the Hospitality House. We've been quite a few times and stayed in just about every area of the resort and that's the one we keep coming back to! Have a great visit and say hi to Ken, Roberto, and Arlene at the Gurgling Suitcase if you stop in for a drink or two!

BuddyThomas

Original Poster
Have a great visit and say hi to Ken, Roberto, and Arlene at the Gurgling Suitcase if you stop in for a drink or two!
"IF"? "Drink or two"? LOL. They better be stocking up on the booze even as we speak. ;)

And thank you very much for all the detailed information. It's kind of amazing that when you call 1-407-W-DISNEY, they can't even give you this info. :)

epcotisbest

Currently here asked for 62, 63, or 64 or room next to elevator or millers road. Ended up with 45 and it's oh so quiet lovely location no complaints from us and the rooms are spacious and very clean a massive thumbs up.

We stayed in 46 and loved the location. It was quiet with a great water view. The landscaping is beautiful, and it was near a quiet pool too. I suppose staying near the main area has it's advantages, but those water view buildings down Peninsular Road are hard to beat, IMO.
The canal side path over to SSR and DS was a great place to ride bicycles. We brought our own, but rentals are available. Beautiful bike ride to SSR, and the Treehouses is a fun ride. We had a great time biking there.

micknminnie

We stayed in building 13 last year on the first floor which was a quick walk across the parking lot to the main area. It was great getting to the pool and food since we have little kids.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
"IF"? "Drink or two"? LOL. They better be stocking up on the booze even as we speak. ;)

And thank you very much for all the detailed information. It's kind of amazing that when you call 1-407-W-DISNEY, they can't even give you this info. :)

Currently here asked for 62, 63, or 64 or room next to elevator or millers road. Ended up with 45 and it's oh so quiet lovely location no complaints from us and the rooms are spacious and very clean a massive thumbs up.

We have stayed in 64, 13, 14, 33, 37, 44, 45, and 51 - and some others that I can't remember. I actually found the Millers Road area to be my least favorite - a little too far from the Hospitality House and we didn't feel like the quiet pool down that way was as nice as the Turtle Pond one (plus Turtle Pond has the snack bar). 45 is very nice. Loved sitting on the deck on the back and waving to each of the boats as they headed to...well it was Pleasure Island and the Marketplace back then. :) But, I think building 44 is likely our favorite - close to the bus stop and the pool, but not too close to be noisy.

If you haven't been to Gurgling Suitcase before...well, suffice to say it is my favorite lounge on site (okay, maybe tied with Rose and Crown). It is small and really nothing special, but we have made more friends in that little bar - both staff and guests alike - than I can possibly count. If you want to get some insight...check out 'Friends of The Gurgling Suitcase' on Facebook.

dizfan917

I just booked a stay at OKW for January and I had to choose a Standard Room or a Room Near Hospitality House. They cost a different amount of "points" with my DVC membership. I assume that means that the closest buildings along the north end of Peninsular Road aren't available unless you've purchased a room in those particular buildings. SSR now has "preferred areas" that are closer to the Carriage House and have a view of Disney Springs at a higher price point as well. I'm excited to experience this resort for the first time! It's always nice to read positive reviews.

officialtom

Parts of Millers Road are close to the main building, but avoid 17-22. We ended up in 21 last year and it was quite a hike. We are NOT opposed to walking significant distances, but the OKW setup is not what we're used to. Rather than walking along paths, like at POR or CBR, you're walking through parking lots and along the road. It was a bit awkward.

It's a DVC resort (often extended stays), so it's set up for people to bring their own cars and park near their rooms.

Jamie J

We always stay on Peninsular Road. It's the first bus stop but we know that if a bus passes us as we wait, we can walk to the last stop and catch the bus.

Disneyfreak Jen

I'm just back from OKW. Miller's road is probably closest but it's a long road, if you're near the other end it's a bit of a walk.
I requested to be near the HH and ended up getting in Tutle Pond, building 41. I absolutely loved the location. Right next to the quiet pool and Turtle Shack snack bar. Laundry is there too.
Busses were never crowded, I always had a seat.
The order of the bus stops are: Peninsular Road (maybe 100 yards down the road from HH), South Point Rd, Old Turtle Pond Rd, Miller's Rd, and lastly, HH.
I really only went up to the HH once the whole time I was there, and it was only because Hurricane Matthew was coming and I wanted to get some food in the store. To get there I hopped on any bus as they were all going to stop at HH, and to get back to Turtle Pond I just walked down to the Peninsular Road station and jumped on the next bus that came by.
Bus service was great. I truly loved it here. My only complaint is the noise coming from the adjoining unit next door was loud....granted the kids in that room behaved like animals and were extremely loud. I don't think it would've been bad had that awful family not been next door.
I hope you have an amazing trip, enjoy!!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom