Old Epcot Promo, with Mickey on top of Spaceship Earth

violet_yoshi

Original Poster
I remember a long while ago, there were promos for Disneyworld, where they had Mickey Mouse standing on top of the Epcot Spaceship Earth ball. I've always wondered how did they do that? My parents thought maybe they used a crane, or cherry picker to get a cast member dressed as Mickey up there. I also was wondering, how they found someone who wasn't afraid of being up there. I mean, it must be terrifying to be so high.

donsullivan

Premium Member
I believe there are actually stairs that run along the top of the sphere in the area where you turn around back to earth that go to a hatch, right at the top. You never normally see them because it's so dark.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Close...

In 180Top (the planetarium) is a scissor lift platform next to the ascent tunnel. Though not functional anymore, this used to lift up to just below the hatch in question. It was used for several Mickey commercials, Chris Columbus in a VP video, and also a construction worker when SSE was completed.

darthjohnny

I remember that commercial! I think it was also used in the old vacation planning videos. I've always wondered how they did it as well! :D

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I would have hated to have been the CM "helping" Mickey on top of that sphere. How would Mickey "put on his coat" so to speak on top, or would he do it before going through the hatch?

yodasmith

they go up top of spaceship earth in on one of those old wdw inside out tv shows with jd roth and that girl who i can't remember her name. she goes up top and points out all the disney icons you can see from up top.

RobotWolf

Magic Spoiler alert...

The Mickey in question was brought to life by a woman named Elaine Gezzi. She and Karen Kolnick were the two primary go-to girls when it came to Mickey and Minnie promo shots. Elaine, due to having previously been cast as Tinkerbelle, (in her flight from the castle spire to Tomorrowland) had hazard training and little to no fear of heights. Karen, because she had pyro training from the finale of the "15 years of magic" castle show.

When asked about her experience on top of Spaceship Earth, Elaine would always say that being up there in and of itself was much less scary than being buzzed by the helicopter that was filming her.

mharrington

they go up top of spaceship earth in on one of those old wdw inside out tv shows with jd roth and that girl who i can't remember her name. she goes up top and points out all the disney icons you can see from up top.

"That girl who i can't remember her name" as you call her is named Brianne Leary. She and JD Roth are also sometimes accompanied by George Foreman.

ag2000

Anyone know why they stoped using the scissor lift? its is operational or no? what episode of wdwio was there a segment on? thanks

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It would have been used in the final stages of construction, then I doubt it had any use until the promo people had the idea. It`s probably not been maintained since it really is up in the gods; access was from above the time tunnel area, and the lift was above the edge of the central core. Plus I`ve heard it was a little wobbly to say the least.

Oh, and of course the ride would need to be empty of guests to use it; kind of limits its availability!

wedway71

That is one of my fave WDW commerials-Great use of Synergy with the Be Our Guest line from Beuty and the Beast.

JML42691

Was the cast member playing Mickey "tied" or restrainted down to prevent a fall? I would assume that whomever it was would have been incase of an unexpected wind gust or force from the helecopter shooting it.

Dylszero

Was the cast member playing Mickey "tied" or restrainted down to prevent a fall? I would assume that whomever it was would have been incase of an unexpected wind gust or force from the helecopter shooting it.

In one of the Disney trivia books (i think the first volume) one of the questions go something like what is at the top of SSE and the answer descibes that Mickey was restrained to a polethat is unseen by the cameras

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom