Old Epcot information

draybook

Original Poster
Not sure if this is the right section, but here goes. I was reading an article on Yesterland and I think it's stating that there used to be "reflecting pools" next to Communicore East and West? Is that correct? Anyone have some good photos of them? I love history AND Epcot, so this is like a visual steak for me.

P_Radden

This also has some photos, showing the water around the inside edges of Communicore (which is now walkway). (Beware, music autoplays on this blog)

http://www.disneyavenue.com/2015/11/a-journey-back-to-epcot-center-of-1983.html
Oh man I love those old images of Epcot Center.. This one really gets me in the feels.
disneyworld_02.jpg

Maeryk

Oh man I love those old images of Epcot Center.. This one really gets me in the feels.
View attachment 217730

I was there within a year of it opening, and aside from the rides, what I remember most about Epcot was that it looked really futuristic, and not in a Tomorrowland googie (jetsons) style.. no extranneous spires and rings and fins for that "nuclear space age" look.. just smooth rounded everything. It was the zaftig park, and looked amazing for it. Plus the lighting at night was absolutely mindblowing. _everything_ lit up. And it made it seem 100 feet tall. It was like the park grew at dusk. The lighting in the water was especially awesome.. you could almost imagine, from the right vantage point, that the whole thing was some massive floating city. I would love for them to go back to that aesthetic, but I'm not holding out much hope.

Don't get me wrong.. I love new dynamic rides, and think a lot of the content is beyond stale. But the visual appeal of the park has stuck with me, for 30 some years.

The Empress Lilly

This is my favorite photo of the old EPCOT Center....really captures how awesome and futuristic it looked
One of mine too! I've had it as a postcard since forever.

Since well before the internets and its infinite amount of illustrations. A handful of postcards and books were my sole visual treasure trove of EPCOT in between visits.

Fun fact: it took me forever to understand that was the Universe of Energy building you are looking at. :oops:

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I dorked around EPCOT Central looking at this website. I find this video from 1992...I had to quit watching because it started to depress me

EPCOT on the WDW info channel in 92 -

Surfin' Tuna

I dorked around EPCOT Central looking at this website. I find this video from 1992...I had to quit watching because it started to depress me

EPCOT on the WDW info channel in 92 -

Great video I hadn't seen that actually did depress me a little bit when Dreamfinder showed up on screen. I was able to make it through Horizons without letting it get to me, but from that to world of motion and then hitting me Dreamfinder...just too much. The only thing that kept me from being too sad was the "5 DaySuper Duper Pass" offered at the end. That's just a little too cheesy even for the early 90s.

Rob562

Fun fact. The two pools and the fountain "moat" were all connected. The walkways used to bridge them.

Then came 1994 and a load of concrete.

When you're in the park you can still see the two places on the fountain's pool where the edge of the pool waterway extends to the edge of the sidewalk where it used to go under the walkway. (I remember noticing that on my own and then wondering why they chose to design it like that, as if the water were going somewhere else, and then finding out years later about the old side pools)

Edit: I just looked, and the two off-shoots are clearly visible in aerial views on Google Maps. They're wider than I remember them being...

-Rob

P_Radden

When you're in the park you can still see the two places on the fountain's pool where the edge of the pool waterway extends to the edge of the sidewalk where it used to go under the walkway. (I remember noticing that on my own and then wondering why they chose to design it like that, as if the water were going somewhere else, and then finding out years later about the old side pools)

Edit: I just looked, and the two off-shoots are clearly visible in aerial views on Google Maps. They're wider than I remember them being...

-Rob
Untitled.png

These?

EDIT:
Wow I never noticed that in this pic:
scan0263.jpg

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom