Old Dinosaur effects?

fantasmicsyd

Original Poster
Does anybody have any clear video footage or even photos of the old jumping compsognathus or the pterodactyl when it still moved on Countdown to Extinction? I’ve tried and I have never seen any especially of the former and I would love to see what they looked like in action!

Cmdr_Crimson

Even opening day videos alone if finding them moving are really rare...
7f342149-8349-44b4-9b33-a405fc6a1329_text.gif

Cmdr_Crimson

I would say it's an old effect but a sound byte and that is why they decided to remove the "whoops" line just after passing the Sauropod. I know the idea was that we ran over her tail but, it just is something that seems weird that they removed for no reason.

KDM31091

The problem is that video cameras at the time the effects were working were obviously far less robust than what we have today, and the ride is pretty dark as it is. So it's very hard to come by a video where you can make out anything of the pterodactyl moving or the compsognathus jumping. Technology just was not really there yet to produce great videos of rides in the dark. Martin's video is the best one I have seen.

I do wish the compys had been replaced with a working effect instead of a screen, but with the rumored demise of the ride I guess it does not matter at this point. I was always puzzled why the effect was that difficult to manage anyway, and am guessing it was turned off more for "moving things above people's heads" reasons than not working right. But Martin would know better than I on that.

fantasmicsyd

Original Poster
The problem is that video cameras at the time the effects were working were obviously far less robust than what we have today, and the ride is pretty dark as it is. So it's very hard to come by a video where you can make out anything of the pterodactyl moving or the compsognathus jumping. Technology just was not really there yet to produce great videos of rides in the dark. Martin's video is the best one I have seen.

I do wish the compys had been replaced with a working effect instead of a screen, but with the rumored demise of the ride I guess it does not matter at this point. I was always puzzled why the effect was that difficult to manage anyway, and am guessing it was turned off more for "moving things above people's heads" reasons than not working right. But Martin would know better than I on that.
Yeah, I figured. I was able to find one video where you can just barely make out the Pterodactyl which is better than nothing. I also heard that they were both deactivated for that same reason (along with effects elsewhere like the cyclists in Small World) but you would think it would be easy enough to add some sort of failsafe.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
These were complicated mechanical effects that had issues from day one. Given the mechanisms of chains and pulleys it’s a surprise they ever worked!

S.I.R. the Robot

In the Parks
No
These were complicated mechanical effects that had issues from day one. Given the mechanisms of chains and pulleys it’s a surprise they ever worked!
Maybe Martha Turville saw them when she rode CTX in 1999, but she's a character created by me, and half of what she says isn't true to life. I'd be surprised if they still worked by 1999.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom