Oh....my.....god

xfkirsten

Freakiest. Costume. Ever.

When my parents take me to US here in CA, I'll be sure to look for him, just so I can say I've seen him in person. :p

-Kirsten

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
I agree, that picture is just plain freaky. :lookaroun

However, that is the old Shrek costume which was just horrible. You can tell its old because of the HHN sign in the background, which features The Caretaker, which means it's from 2002. The new Shrek costumes look much, much better.

ISTCrew20

HAHAHAHAHAHAA....That cracked me up. It looked like Shrek's head was falling off, and like that little kid was all cryin'. Too Funny.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
well c'mon. Disney manufactures ALL of its own costumes... the Universal ones are purchased.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
lol. unfortunately, you're at the will of the companies who own the rights to the characters they use in their parks. The only theme park characters that Universal actually owns are the Fievel characters and Woody/Winnie Woodpecker. Notice how much nicer those look than the rest.

Paixao

mkt said:
well c'mon. Disney manufactures ALL of its own costumes... the Universal ones are purchased.

Eh-hem!!!!

Hey Rob, I don't know if you have ever noticed this, but there is this place in the back of the wardrobe building...you know what us costumers call that building? Fabrication! You know what they do at fabrication? Make Costumes! I know, it is crazy! How do we make things like a big Shrek Head? There is this other building under Jurassic Park (has since been relocated). You know what it is called? Prosthetics! You know what they make there? Rubber/latex, plactics things to go on verious parts of your body...like during HHN! Thus, that is the short version of where Universal Costumes come from.

How might I know all this secret information? Am I a spy of some kind? NO! I am a bloody Universal Costumer!

(Rob: KUNG-FU KICK!)

Legacy

TAC said:
From a standpoint of characters, I'm disappointed with Universal. If my kids wanted pictures with those "characters," I'd ask for my money back.
I'll remember that logic the next time I see a 5 foot dwarf or a chubby Belle at Disney. Also, I don't think Cinderella's mice would be as tall as I am.

The Marvel characters had to be approved by Marvel Comics and Stan Lee. Universal did as much as they could with the comic book rights. That is why Wolverine is in the yellow and blue and Green Goblin looked like he did (he has been cut if it makes you feel better). Also, Capt. America shows up on a quad because it's a heck of a lot easier to manuver on the narrow streets of Marvel Island. Also, if it was a motorcycle, the character would have to be trained and that would cost more money.

I don't know what your beef is with Bluto and Olive Oil, they look like they did in the cartoon. The same with Woody Woodpecker and Scooby.

I am also sorry that there are not enough 7-8 foot people to play Shrek and Hulk for you. I guess God doesn't like having people who are tall enough to play real ogres.

You have to remember that no face character (unless you are lucky as heck) will exactly resemble what you want. The Blues Brothers can sneak by because they wear glasses and hats that hide half of their face. Straight face characters like the Flinstone characters and Lucy and Dezi are really frickin hard to find, so they have to get the best possible thing. Disney is forced to do the same, but are lucky in the fact they are giving human faces to animated characters, which gives a little more freedom in interpretation. That's how Jasmine and Snow White can be interchanged by just adding make-up. Not everyone can look just like Jim Belushi or Rosie O'Donell. If that fact is something that would prevent you from going to Uni, fine. The characters aren't there for the adults anyway, they are there for the kids.

And the Ghostbusters that you said were so out of place are the "New Ghostbusters" from the most recent cartoon adaptation. They used to do a stage show with Beetlejuice in the New York section.

Learning about the suspension of disbelief might help you enjoy theme parks a little bit more.

CrackerJack

On first glance (before realizing that he's down on his knees) it looks like Shrek's freakishly small twin, mini-Shrek.

Maybe they can have Shrek and mini-Shrek face Dr. Evil and Mini-me in WWE tag team action :sohappy:

barnum42

Paixao said:
Eh-hem!!!!

Hey Rob, I don't know if you have ever noticed this, but there is this place in the back of the wardrobe building...you know what us costumers call that building? Fabrication! You know what they do at fabrication? Make Costumes! I know, it is crazy! How do we make things like a big Shrek Head? There is this other building under Jurassic Park (has since been relocated). You know what it is called? Prosthetics! You know what they make there? Rubber/latex, plactics things to go on verious parts of your body...like during HHN! Thus, that is the short version of where Universal Costumes come from.

How might I know all this secret information? Am I a spy of some kind? NO! I am a bloody Universal Costumer!

(Rob: KUNG-FU KICK!)
Cool information, thanks for that. But it does not explain the pinhead Shrek :lol:

disnyfan89

I hate to say it but I have seen a better shreak at the Movie theature I go to! He was made just for that promotion at the theature. They also had the wolf and puss in boots

Legacy

TAC said:
Oh, wow, you mean they might have to pay somebody more than $6.50/hour then? Stan Lee approved those costumes?!?! Sad... If it's that much of a problem, then walk out. The quads are cheezy.
They may be cheesy, but they are effective.
TAC said:
Scooby doesn't even look like the CG character in the movie. He looks like a plush from a carnival.
He's not suppose to look like the movie version, he's suppose to look like the cartoon version.
TAC said:
They have this new invention called stilts. Plus, there are other ways to make a tall character look tall in real life.
Stilts alter body proportions in a way that would make Shrek and Hulk look awkward, as well as more difficult to interact with. Stilts aren't really made for adding one or two feet to someone's height anyway... they are for adding 3 to 5.
TAC said:
Then Universal should get several people who look the same fascilly (sp?), instead of one person who looks like Lucy's and Dezi's twins, and others who barely look like them. Really? The characters aren't for the kids, huh? Remember that the next time you are standing in line keeping someones kids from getting a picture with Mickey.
I'm sure would be a phenominal casting director for any theme park in Orlando. You can't hold out for someone who might be better, you have to get what you can. If someone better does comes along, then you hope you have the space. Disney has the same problem with face characters not matching. If you are going to criticize Uni for it, then criticize Disney also.

And where did I say characters aren't for kids? I said they aren't for adults. And the last time I got an autogaph or picture from any character was when I was eight, so a guilt trip ain't going to work on me.
TAC said:
I never watched the cartoon version of Ghostbusters. If they are based on the cartoon version, they why drive around in the EXACT same (looking) car that was used in two movies?
Cause in the cartoon it's still the Ecto-1.
TAC said:
*I* didn't start the thead, someone else did. Go blast them, not me. I went through all the pics to see them. I saw things I didn't like. That's MY opinion. Maybe you work for Universal.
I know you didn't start the thread, however you are the one who created a list slamming Universal's costumes. As a fan of Universal and Disney I felt that it was unfair towards Uni that you would criticize them for something Disney does as well. That's MY opinion. And I use to work for Universal, and Disney. I'm biased, but you are too.

Paixao

barnum42 said:
Cool information, thanks for that. But it does not explain the pinhead Shrek :lol:
The pinhead Shrek was the old parade costume. It wasn't really made for guest interaction. I don't know why it was used this time.

Anyway, I was just trying to explain to Rob how Uni makes their costumes. The only costumes they "bought" were the ones used for Macy*s, and even then those were rented from the Macy*s Parade in New York.

HorizonsMan

Hey everyone why do we just all be friends, quit fighting, i mean i happen to be a friend of bluto and i have seen the good bad and teh ugly, but we fix it as soon as we possibly can and work things out, i hate to say it but if you dont like it either turn your head and walk away or write an email to teh comapny showing them what you dont like, complaining on teh boards will do nothing. HAve a nice day.

Jason

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom