Outer bands of huge hurricane reach coastal towns

Deep_South_Western_Gulf_anim03.gif

As of 5 p.m. ET

Latitude: 28.2 North
Longitude: 92.6 West
Category: 3
Movement: Northwest 12 mph
Winds: 125 mph

Up Friday afternoon in southeast Texas as the outer bands of Hurricane Rita, a massive Category 3 storm, reached coastal communities.

With the hurricane generating winds of tropical storm force extending 205 miles from the center, cities like Galveston were reporting winds of 39 mph.

"We're seeing our first real rains, some of those bands coming in and affecting us," David Mattingly reported from Galveston.
"It's not a lot of rain, but in typical Gulf storm fashion it's coming in sideways, getting blown at us rather hard."

Tim G

Original Poster
that_L_do_pig said:
If you need to seek higher ground due to rising waters, go in the right direction towards the white and away from the dark - http://maps.tsarp.org/viewer.htm

Be patient with that link - it takes time but really help me understand my situation better. Let it load first until the map comes up then type your address and zip.

i just moved my home LAN environment into disaster mode. All three PCs stashed away. Long cable running into my area of last refuge under the stairs. Abandoned Wifi for direct cable connection 100baseT'd to the my laptop. cablemodem and laptop on UPS. That's the longest surviving scenario possible in my environment.

**edit** I added some pics in my photobucket of this area
You SHOULD get out of there!!!!

that_L_do_pig

Corrus said:

In a perfect world, yes, but the traffic and gasoline situation made the decision to stay easier.

Again, I am in far NW Houston well out of ANY storm surge and well clear of any 500 year flood plain. My threat is from tornadoes.

Erika

Corrus said:

The officials have told Houston area residents to remain where they are at this point. It's now more dangerous to try to leave than it is to just stay put.

Cliffordsmon

I used to teach by where he lives and he will be fine as long as the drains don't stop up. I had a '77 pinto that would float it's way to Hidden Valley.

Tim G

Original Poster
Rita Moving Closer, Hours Away From Landfall

Hurricane Rita Remains Category 3 Storm

Rita15.gif

UPDATED: 9:55 pm EDT September 23, 2005

There has been an ominous warning from the director of the National Hurricane Center.

Max Mayfield said Hurricane Rita's storm surge is going to "clobber" the area of near the Texas-Louisiana state line and that people will die there.

An estimated 2.8 million people have evacuated a 500-mile area after authorities told more than 3 million residents along the Texas and Louisiana coasts to head out.
In Houston, maddening traffic jams have finally eased. Near Dallas, a bus caught fire during a traffic jam, killing as many as 24 people.

A hurricane warning remains in effect from Sargent, Texas, to Morgan City, La.

Rita is weakening slowly.
It's now a Category 3 hurricane, but it's still whipping wind at 120 mph as it heads toward the Texas and Louisiana coasts.

A Texas emergency official is predicting the loss of nearly 5,700 homes and more than $8 billion in damage from Rita.

But Texas Gov. Rick Perry said, "We're going to get through this."

Forecasters said Rita could continue a gradual weakening before making landfall early Saturday, but that it's still expected to come ashore as a dangerous hurricane.
They said Rita will pack "large and dangerous battering waves" and a storm surge that could reach 15 feet over normal tide levels around where Rita hits shore.

At 9 p.m. EDT, the center of Hurricane Rita was about 85 miles southeast Sabine Pass, along the coast at the border between Texas and Louisiana. Rita is moving toward the northwest near 12 mph.
On that track, the core of Hurricane Rita will make landfall along the southwest Louisiana and upper Texas coasts near daybreak Saturday.

Tim G

Original Poster
Hurricane Rita approaches the Gulf Coast

Deep_South_Western_Gulf_anim04.gif

Wind gusts of at least 90 mph have already battered coastal areas of southwest Louisiana an Hurricane Rita comes closer to making landfall. Rita should make landfall overnight either near or just east of the Texas/Louisiana border.

Rita is a Catrgory 3 storm on the Saffir-Simpson Scale and should remain that way until landfall, but perhaps barely so.

As Hurricane Rita comes onshore, the destructive winds and surge (a water level rise of 5 to 15 feet) could especially target areas of the upper Texas and southwestern Louisiana coast.

Large waves (peaking 15 to 20+ feet) will affect most of the coastal areas around the entire Gulf. Once inland, a rapidly weakening Rita could move northward and then stall in easternmost Texas and extreme western Louisiana and possibly drifting back to the south or southwest.

Rainfall across easternmost Texas and southwestern Louisiana may exceed 12 inches initially, but if the stalling scenario plays out then well over 20 inches of rain is possible in some locations.

The result could be extensive flooding through at least the first part of the upcoming week not just in and around the location of landfall but farther north into locations such as Shreveport and Alexandria, Louisiana, Marshall and Lufkin, Texas and Texarkana, Arkansas. Although landfall is of the utmost priority at the moment, preparations for this event of excessive rainfall and the resultant flooding should begin now.

Tim G

Original Poster
Feds Ready With Food, Water

This time, the feds say they're ready.

The government has pre-positioned millions of pounds of food and water, satellite phones to maintain communications and thousands of hospital beds.

But faced with a mass evacuation that left hundreds of thousands of motorists on the highways running out of gas, Texas Gov. Rick Perry said extra fuel is his No. 1 request. FEMA said it's working on it, and the military said it's ironing out details of making roadside deliveries.

President George W. Bush flies to his home state of Texas Friday to take a look at storm preparations. He'll also thank first responders who are already in place. Bush said, "Officials at every level of government are preparing for the worst."

Criticized for a delayed response to Hurricane Katrina, the president's heading to Texas even before Rita makes landfall.
Not only is he determined that the federal response will be quicker and more effective, the president also wants to avoid another round of political damage.

Bush will visit San Antonio to see preparations for the storm first-hand and thank those carrying them out. After that, he's off to Colorado and the headquarters of the U.S. Northern Command, which oversees homeland defense. That's where he'll watch Rita head for landfall.

Tim G

Original Poster
Rita Expected To Make Landfall Overnight

STORM STATUS: September 23, 10:50 PM EDT

Name: Hurricane Rita
Location: About 55 miles, 90 km, Southeast of Sabine Pass Along The Gulf Coast At The Texas/Louisiana Border.
Lat/Long: 29.1N, 93.2W
Max Winds: 120 mph
Category: 3
Heading: Northwest
Speed: 12 mph
Pressure: 27.49 inches

Tim G

Original Poster
Hurricane Rita brings early death, destruction

top_rita_animated_915pm.gif

BEAUMONT, Texas - Hurricane Rita steamed toward refinery towns along the Texas-Louisiana coast with 120 mph winds today, creating havoc even before it arrived: Levee breaks caused new flooding in New Orleans, and as many as 24 people were killed when a bus carrying nursing-home evacuees caught fire in a traffic jam.

Rita weakened during the day into a Category 3 hurricane after raging as a Category 5, 175-mph monster earlier in the week. But it was still a highly dangerous storm.

The hurricane was expected to come ashore early Saturday on a course that could spare Houston and Galveston but slam the oil refining towns of Beaumont and Port Arthur, Texas, and Lake Charles, La., with a 20-foot storm surge, towering waves and up to 25 inches of rain.

"That's where people are going to die," said Max Mayfield, director of the National Hurricane Center. "All these areas are just going to get absolutely clobbered by the storm surge."

Late today, southwestern Louisiana was soaked by driving rain and coastal flooding. Sugarcane fields, ranches and marshlands were already under water at dusk in coastal Cameron Parish.

The sparsely populated region was almost completely evacuated, but authorities rushed to the aid of a man who had decided to ride out the storm in a house near the Gulf of Mexico after one of man's friends called for help.

They were turned back by flooded roads.

"He's going to take the full brunt of this hurricane coming in," sheriff's Capt. James Hines said.

Police rescued four people huddled under an overhang outside the locked downtown civic center. "There's probably going to be 4 feet of water where they are now," Hines said. "So they need to get out of there."

Empty coastal highways and small towns were blasted with wind-swept rain. A metal hurricane evacuation route sign along one road wagged violently in the wind, and clumps of cattle huddled in fields.

Steve Rinard, a National Weather Service meteorologist in Lake Charles, said he could not keep count of the tornado warnings across southern Louisiana. "They were just popping up like firecrackers," he said.

Rita threatened dozens of shuttered refineries and chemical plants along the Texas and Louisiana Gulf Coast that represent a quarter of the nation's oil refining capacity. Environmentalists warned of the risk of a toxic spill, and business analysts said Rita could cause already-high gasoline prices to rise to as much as $4 a gallon.

In the storm's cross-hairs were the marshy towns along the Louisiana line: Port Arthur, a city of about 58,000 where the main industries include oil, shrimping and crawfishing; and Beaumont, a port city of about 114,000 that was the birthplace of the modern oil industry. It was in Beaumont that the Spindletop well erupted in a 100-foot gusher in 1901 and gave rise to such giants as Gulf, Humble and Texaco.

Kandy Huffman had no way to leave, and she pushed her broken-down car down the street to her home with plans to ride out the storm in an otherwise-deserted Port Arthur, where the streetlights were turned off and stores were boarded up.

"This isn't my first rodeo. All you can do is pray for best," she said as a driving rain started to fall. "We're surrounded by the people we love. Even if we have to all cuddle up, we know where everybody is."

In New Orleans, which had just drained nearly all the putrid floodwaters from Katrina, Rita's wind and rain sent water gushing through a patched levee along the Industrial Canal and into the already-devastated Lower Ninth Ward and parts of neighboring St. Bernard Parish. The water rose to waist level.

About the same time, water streamed through another levee along the patched London Avenue Canal, swamping homes in the Gentilly neighborhood with 6 to 8 inches of water.

Cliffordsmon

Thanks for checking in. I am still waiting to hear from my sisters in SW Houston and my parents up in Huntsville. I am sure they are fine though.

Cliffordsmon

I just got off the phone with my sister in SW Houston, (Stafford area)
and she said they probably had less than 1 inch of rain. She has power but says there are places in Sugarland that is still without power.

Huntsville lost power around 8:15 AM.

Hey Everyone!
Just got back to my house in Friendswood and all is well. Just a few limbs in the yard. Our power is on but the other side of the street is out. Hope everyone else gets home alright. We left early to beat the traffic heading back. Plus our city advisor gave Friendswood the OK to return. Stay safe after the storm, we saw alot of downed lines through Houston. Check in when you get the chance!

Aloha Everyone!
-DGJake

PigletIsMyCat

imagineer boy said:
Um, I was only joking. And I wasn't being negative to religion.

Sorry if I offended you with my bad joke. :wave:

Talking about God smiting naughty Witches and Voodoun practitioners is negative. Witchcraft and Voodoun ARE religions....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom