Official Photography Contest 9/15/06 - 9/21/06 Nighttime Photography Contest

Bobster

Beautiful Horizons1! I would love to know from which spot your pic was taken? Was it the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse? Thanks.

Boy, I had a heck of a time choosing between a night shot of the AA and this one...
NIGHT_CONTEST.jpg

Horizons1

Beautiful Horizons1! I would love to know from which spot your pic was taken? Was it the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse? Thanks.

Yes it was, its a great place to take a night shot like that for 2 reasons.

1.The view and height of course
2. I could set my camera on the handrail, so it was perfectly still allowing me to take such a clear shot

The only thing I wish were different is that the tree in the foreground wasnt there, it would be great to get a whole hub shot from up there at night. But its cool, as you can see, ya can still get a great shot or two from up there.

Tramp

Wow...there are some awesome photos in this contest! :sohappy:

Several of them are winners already in my book! :sohappy:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Truly some great photographers amongst us.

This will probably be the hardest contest yet to have to pick a favorite.:(

Congratulations to ALL contestants, you have all entered amazing photos!:wave: :sohappy:

JLW11Hi

Hey folks!

Sorry to resurect the old thread, but I was just wondering, with all the great night shots, many of you must have used a tripod and a shutter release cord/remote for these pictures, right?

ZapperZ

Hey folks!

Sorry to resurect the old thread, but I was just wondering, with all the great night shots, many of you must have used a tripod and a shutter release cord/remote for these pictures, right?

I do use a tripod, but you don't need the shutter release cord or any remote device. Just set your camera for a 2-second delay. By the time it snaps the picture, there should be little to no vibration to the camera from you touching it.

Zz.

SewIn2Disney

Before I got myself a small tripod, I would just rest it on whatever was nearby (usually a trashcan), and use the self timer. If its a nighttime shot, with a lot of light coming in anyway (the castle, sse, etc) I just brace myself, elbows in, hold my breath, and take the pic--that usually works too.

I just bought the gorillapod ( http://allthingsjeep.stores.yahoo.net/joby-gorillapod-tripod.html ) and it is awesome! You can strap its bendable legs around anything. I've wrapped it around tree trunks, fences, the roll bar on my car, etc. It's really awesome! And it's going to be perfect for the parks when I go in Jan--compact and multifunctional.

DigitalDisney

I don't have a remote control for my camera (or maybe I do?), so I always use a delayed shutter when taking pictures at night

Sometimes I use a tripod. Sometimes I use a rail. Sometimes I use a table/ledge/etc. Carrying a tripod around all day can be annoying, so I sometimes prefer to use the ledge method. It forces me to be a little more creative when taking shots.

Edit: And that gorillapod looks freaking cool. I need to get one ASAP, although I don't know which one to get as my camera is not exactly compact, nor is it a SLR. Hrmmmm

ZapperZ

I use the Velbon ultra-maxi tripod. My criteria for a tripod is that (i) it can be folded or collapse into a size small enough to fit my bagpack (ii) it can be extended to at least 55 inches so that I don't have to stoop when I use it to take videos standing up (ii) it should not weigh more than 3 lbs (the lighter the better - I don't want to haul something heavy all day long).

The Velbon tripod fits the criteria. Most people are usually amazed that it can extend to 61 inches from such a length that's barely more than a foot.

http://www99.shopping.com/xPF-Velbon-ULTRA-MAXI~r-1~CLT-INTR~RFR-www.google.com

I think they still ship this with a pan head, so that's even an added extra bonus.

Zz.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
That's OK, that's what happens when people bump old threads instead of starting a new thread (especially when it's a tangential question)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom