1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Oculus Rift

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Technology' started by StageFrenzy, May 7, 2015.

1. StageFrenzy

StageFrenzy Well-Known Member

It finally has a release time frame, Q1 2016. Anyone besides me planning on getting one? With games like Elite: Dangerous and a resurgence in joysticks, I’ll be playing games like it’s 1995!
    +

George and Voxel like this.
  2. George

George Liker of Things Premium Member

Jiminy Christmas. When was occulus rift first known about? It seems like it has been around forever. The Avatar Land of electronics.

senor_jorge likes this.
  3. StageFrenzy

StageFrenzy Well-Known Member Original Poster

Feels like 2011ish, I will say they they have improved with every iteration.

4. Voxel

Voxel President of Progress City Premium Member

That have improved nicely. The jump to hd really helped the most though

5. Kramerica

Kramerica Well-Known Member

I will be getting one, for sure. But I'll be getting Sony's Project Morpheus too. I feel like both of them have their own markets. But I've never been one to stick to one companies iteration of a product.

6. StageFrenzy

Have you seen the Vive?

7. Kramerica

HTCs counterpart? I've seen bits and pieces about it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it HTC's interpretation of VR? I've heard it's really well done, and uses some sort of virtual boundaries within the headset to keep you from running into walls in the real world. It's to be used in collaboration with Steam, right?

8. Dead2009

Dead2009 Well-Known Member

I feel that this is a fad that will die off within 2 years. Gamers complain about every new gimmick that comes out and this will be no different.

9. StageFrenzy

Yeah still in collaboration with valve and steam. It was going to release before Oculus but now has been pushed back to Q1 or Q2.

10. Kramerica

I say let em delay it as much as they want. The last thing I want is a rushed piece of tech.

Respectfully I'm gonna have to disagree with you. This isn't some gimmick like 3d or curved displays. The things that I've heard from people who have gotten the chance to actually use these headsets are remarkable. Don't get me wrong, I don't think it will replace typical flat screen gaming. But I think it will become a genre in itself.

11. Jahona

Jahona Well-Known Member

Having used the Oculus DK2 I will agree. It's not a gimmick. The very first time I put the Oculus on and started the demo I was blown away about how much it felt like I was actually there.

This was the demo I was first shown:

Not only is VR being used for gaming but it's also has it's uses in design. Case in point airlines are creating cube mapped 3D renderings to output to oculus rift in order to view interiors of their new and upcoming planes.