Number of Attractions in the Disney Parks

SPMTCP2003

Original Poster
LOL not you! The other space, he/she was pretty much on point with the numbers, except I counted 38 instead of 37.

Hehe, I knew what you meant. ;)

Hmm, and I just found how you got 38. On the WDW website, When you first click on MK to show only the attractions in that park it lists 37, but if you click Next Page, it jumps to 38. Interesting... :p

Laura

Premium Member
Disneyland: 55
Magic Kingdom: 37

I'm still trying to figure out why DL has so many more attractions according to you than MK.

Disneyland has the following that are not comparable to anything at MK:
(by comparable, I mean things like Barnstormer and Gadget's Go Coaster are comparable)
Indiana Jones Adventure
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes
Sailing Ship Columbia
Alice in Wonderland
Casey Jr. Circus Train
Matterhorn Bobsleds
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
Pinocchio's Daring Journey
Snow White's Scary Adventures
Storybook Land Canal Boats
Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin
Toontown character houses (I'd group them all as one attraction, personally)
Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage
Innoventions
Star Tours
Fantasmic
(16 total)

MK has the following that are not comparable to anything at Disneyland:
Magic Carpets of Aladdin
Country Bear Jamboree
Mickey's Philharmagic
Carousel of Progress
Monster's Inc. Laugh Floor
Stitch's Great Escape
Peoplemover
Dream Along with Mickey
Main Street Electrical Parade
(9 total)

Difference = 7 more at Disneyland than MK
(correct me if I missed anything)

I don't count all the diversions as attractions because they're just fluff (Pirates League, Jedi Training Academy, Sword in the Stone, etc) and I think both DL and MK have about an equal amount of them.

But still, I'm not getting anywhere near an 18 attraction difference between DL and MK.

lazyboy97o

It seems this has touched a bit of a nerve, but the counts keep coming up with Disneyland Resort having a comparable number of attractions to Walt Disney World.

spacemt354

Chili's
I think this is interesting so I went back and closely examined the flagship parks of the respective resorts, Disneyland and Magic Kingdom.

Here is what I found, and note: italics refers to attractions I do not think should be part of the regular count, but should be noted in ()'s next to the total attraction count in the end.

Disneyland:

Main Street USA - DL Railroad, Main Street Vehicles, Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln, The Disney Gallery, Main Street Cinema, Mickey's Soundsational Parade

Fantasyland - King Arthur Carrousel, Snow White Scary Adventures, Pinocchio's Journey, Casey Jr, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Alice in Wonderland, Dumbo, Peter Pan's Flight, Mad Tea Party, It's A Small World, Storybook Canal Boats, Matterhorn, Finding Nemo Voyage, Princess Fantasy Faire, Tinker Bell & Friends

Toontown Fair - Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin, Gadget's Go Coaster, Donald's Boat, Chip n' Dale's Treehouse, Mickey and Minnie's Houses, Goofy's Playhouse

Tomorrowland - Autopia, Astro Orbiter, Buzz Lightyear, Space Mountain, Star Tours, Captain EO, Innoventions, Starcade,

Frontierland - Big Thunder Mountain, Fronteirland Shootin Exposition, Tom Sawyer Island, Columbia and Mark Twain Boats (I consider this one attraction, it's like Mission:Space with 2 options) Big Thunder Ranch

Critter Country - Davy Crockett Canoes, Splash Mountain, Winnie the Pooh

New Orleans Square - Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean, Fantasmic

Adventureland - Trazan's Treehouse, Jungle Cruise, Tiki Room, Indiana Jones

Magic Kingdom:

Main Street USA - WDW Railroad, Main Street Vehicles, Share A Dream Come True Parade, Electrical Parade, Wishes, Main Street Cinema

Fantasyland (including NFL) - Mickey's Philarmagic, Peter Pan's Flight, It's a Small World, Winnie the Pooh, Dumbo, The Little Mermaid, Snow White Mine Train, The Barnstormer, Carrousel, Mad Tea Party, Casey Jr. Splash Station, Princess Fairytale Hall, Storytime with Belle, Ariel's Grotto, Dream Along with Mickey, Pete's Silly Sideshow

Tomorrowland - Indy Speedway, Astro Orbiter, Space Mountain, Stitch's Great Escape, Monster's Inc Laugh Floor, Peoplemover, Carrousel of Progress, Buzz Lightyear

Fronteirland - Big Thunder Mountain, Splash Mountain, Country Bears, Tom Sawyer Island, Fronteirland Shootin Arcade

Liberty Sqaure - Haunted Mansion, Hall of Presidents, Liberty Square Riverboat

Adventureland - Pirates of the Caribbean, Swiss Family Treehouse, Jungle Cruise, Magic Carpets of Aladdin, Tiki Room

So looking back again and being as fair as possible for both parks I got:
Disneyland attractions 42 + (9) = 51
Magic Kingdom attractions 37 + (6) = 43

SPMTCP2003

Original Poster

I'm still trying to figure out why DL has so many more attractions according to you than MK.

Disneyland has the following that are not comparable to anything at MK:
(by comparable, I mean things like Barnstormer and Gadget's Go Coaster are comparable)
Indiana Jones Adventure
Sailing Ship Columbia
Alice in Wonderland
Casey Jr. Circus Train
Matterhorn Bobsleds
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
Snow White's Scary Adventures
Storybook Land Canal Boats
Toontown character houses (I'd group them all as one attraction, personally)
Innoventions
Star Tours
Fantasmic
(16 total)

MK has the following that are not comparable to anything at Disneyland:
Magic Carpets of Aladdin
Country Bear Jamboree
Mickey's Philharmagic
Carousel of Progress
Stitch's Great Escape
Peoplemover
Dream Along with Mickey
Main Street Electrical Parade
(9 total)

Difference = 7 more at Disneyland than MK
(correct me if I missed anything)

I don't count all the diversions as attractions because they're just fluff (Pirates League, Jedi Training Academy, Sword in the Stone, etc) and I think both DL and MK have about an equal amount of them.

But still, I'm not getting anywhere near an 18 attraction difference between DL and MK.

Attractions unique to MK:
Mickey's PhilharMagic
CADCT Parade
Carousel of Progress
(Casey Jr Splash 'n' Soak Station)
Country Bear Jamboree
Magic Carpets of Aladdin
(Sorcerers of the MK)
Stitch's Great Escape!
TTA People Mover
A total of 10 (2)

I'd say the number is off because Disneyland Park lists the following UNIQUE attractions on its list:
Alice in Wonderland
(Big Thunder Ranch)
Captain EO
Casey Jr. Circus Train
Chip 'n Dale Treehouse
(The Disney Gallery)
Disneyland Monorail
(Disney Princess Fantasy Faire)
(Donald's Boat)
Fantasmic!
(Goofy's Playhouse)
Indiana Jones Adventure
Innoventions
(Merida and Friends)
Matterhorn Bobsleds
(Mickey's House)
(Minnie's House)
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
(Pixie Hollow)
Snow Whit's Scary Adventures
Star Tours
Storybook Land
(Rapunzel and Flynn Rider)

A total of 27 (9 of which are character meet and greets and character houses.) So really you only left off Captain EO and the Monorail on your list, so it would be 18 attractions that are unique to DL. And 37 (MK) plus 18 equals the 55.

Yeah, that is complicated though. And again, it is all based on your definition of an "attraction." But if the Disney websites define them the same, then there just are 18 more attractions at DL than MK.

SPMTCP2003

Original Poster
I think this is interesting so I went back and closely examined the flagship parks of the respective resorts, Disneyland and Magic Kingdom.

Here is what I found, and note: italics refers to attractions I do not think should be part of the regular count, but should be noted in ()'s next to the total attraction count in the end.

Disneyland:

Main Street USA - DL Railroad, Main Street Vehicles, Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln, The Disney Gallery, Main Street Cinema, Mickey's Soundsational Parade

Fantasyland - King Arthur Carrousel, Snow White Scary Adventures, Pinocchio's Journey, Casey Jr, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Alice in Wonderland, Dumbo, Peter Pan's Flight, Mad Tea Party, It's A Small World, Storybook Canal Boats, Matterhorn, Finding Nemo Voyage, Princess Fantasy Faire, Tinker Bell & Friends

Toontown Fair - Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin, Gadget's Go Coaster, Donald's Boat, Chip n' Dale's Treehouse, Mickey and Minnie's Houses, Goofy's Playhouse

Tomorrowland - Autopia, Astro Orbiter, Buzz Lightyear, Space Mountain, Star Tours, Captain EO, Innoventions, Starcade,

Frontierland - Big Thunder Mountain, Fronteirland Shootin Exposition, Tom Sawyer Island, Columbia and Mark Twain Boats (I consider this one attraction, it's like Mission:Space with 2 options) Big Thunder Ranch

Critter Country - Davy Crockett Canoes, Splash Mountain, Winnie the Pooh

New Orleans Square - Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean, Fantasmic

Adventureland - Trazan's Treehouse, Jungle Cruise, Tiki Room, Indiana Jones

Magic Kingdom:

Main Street USA - WDW Railroad, Main Street Vehicles, Share A Dream Come True Parade, Electrical Parade, Wishes, Main Street Cinema

Fantasyland (including NFL) - Mickey's Philarmagic, Peter Pan's Flight, It's a Small World, Winnie the Pooh, Dumbo, The Little Mermaid, Snow White Mine Train, The Barnstormer, Carrousel, Mad Tea Party, Casey Jr. Splash Station, Princess Fairytale Hall, Storytime with Belle, Ariel's Grotto, Dream Along with Mickey, Pete's Silly Sideshow

Tomorrowland - Indy Speedway, Astro Orbiter, Space Mountain, Stitch's Great Escape, Monster's Inc Laugh Floor, Peoplemover, Carrousel of Progress, Buzz Lightyear

Fronteirland - Big Thunder Mountain, Splash Mountain, Country Bears, Tom Sawyer Island, Fronteirland Shootin Arcade

Liberty Sqaure - Haunted Mansion, Hall of Presidents, Liberty Square Riverboat

Adventureland - Pirates of the Caribbean, Swiss Family Treehouse, Jungle Cruise, Magic Carpets of Aladdin, Tiki Room

So looking back again and being as fair as possible for both parks I got:
Disneyland attractions 42 + (9) = 51
Magic Kingdom attractions 37 + (6) = 42

Awesome post! I would definitely agree with you that the attractions in MK's Fanatasyland that you included (but were kept off the list that the website includes) should be listed and counted. We shall have to see how they tally things after the FLE!

spacemt354

Chili's
Awesome post! I would definitely agree with you that the attractions in MK's Fanatasyland that you included (but were kept off the list that the website includes) should be listed and counted. We shall have to see how they tally things after the FLE!

Thank you! And I left off the monorail because the MK has a monorail too so to speak (but it is more of an attraction at DL) Anyway, I digress. You had this mentioned before but where is Rapunzel and Flynn Rider and Merida M&G in Disneyland? I didn't include them because I just didn't see them so I was just wondering where they were.

SPMTCP2003

Original Poster
Thank you! And I left off the monorail because the MK has a monorail too so to speak (but it is more of an attraction at DL) Anyway, I digress. You had this mentioned before but where is Rapunzel and Flynn Rider and Merida M&G in Disneyland? I didn't include them because I just didn't see them so I was just wondering where they were.

I haven't been to DL since these attractions were added, but the website lists:
-Rapunzel's room is between Pinocchio's Daring Journey and Village Haus in Fantasyland.
-Merida and Friends is located in the Fairytale Garden, which is near the "it's a small world" attraction in Fantasyland.

The Empress Lilly

The problem with the park near Paris is the French.
I shall be in Paris in two weeks. I´m very much looking forward to being immersed in the world´s greatest culture, interacting with some of the nicest, most polite people one will ever find.
france2.gif

Laura

Premium Member
A total of 27 (9 of which are character meet and greets and character houses.) So really you only left off Captain EO and the Monorail on your list, so it would be 18 attractions that are unique to DL. And 37 (MK) plus 18 equals the 55.

Yeah, that is complicated though. And again, it is all based on your definition of an "attraction." But if the Disney websites define them the same, then there just are 18 more attractions at DL than MK.

Right. I would never define a meet and greet as an "attraction", regardless of what Disney says. I did legitimately forget to list Captain EO though. The rest were intentional omissions.

Yodadudeman

I don't really see Magic Kingdom as the problem. Its the perfect park, in my opinion. The two parks with glaring weaknesses are Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios. Now the new Avatarland will hopefully adress the fact that Animal Kingdom is a half-day park. Hollywood Studios desperately needs some attractions though. Something needs to be done. Seeing these numbers just makes it more obvious.

spacemt354

Chili's
I don't really see Magic Kingdom as the problem. Its the perfect park, in my opinion. The two parks with glaring weaknesses are Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios. Now the new Avatarland will hopefully adress the fact that Animal Kingdom is a half-day park. Hollywood Studios desperately needs some attractions though. Something needs to be done. Seeing these numbers just makes it more obvious.

Agreed. A lot of room for expansion in Animal Kingdom and much needed additions for DHS. 19 attractions for almost a $100 per day park does not cut it, no matter how good Tower of Terror is.

MarkTwain

I will say that there a number of differences one finds at Disneyland, and which are perhaps the greatest differences, that have nothing to do with attraction count.

A lot of it is just stuff like walking around New Orleans Square and realizing you do don't see winding, beautifully-Imagineered walkways and wrought-iron balconies like that in any other Disney park
...or watching a huge, 40-foot, fire-breathing dragon rise before your eyes in their version of Fantasmic
...or knowing you're walking up the same Main Street that Walt did
...or finding out Pirates of the Caribbean is about three times the ride you've known it to be
...or seeing just how impressive a riverboat in a theme park can be (seriously: the Mark Twain blows the little ol' Liberty Belle away)
...or seeing shiny red monorails gliding above bright yellow submarines, all across the same blue lagoon
...or the feeling of riding a submarine in a Disney park, for that matter
...of knowing what Dinosaur's ride system can REALLY be used for
...of looking up on your way out of the park and seeing the light on in Walt Disney's old apartment

It's really magical in an explicable way. And that's just Disneyland itself. I haven't even seen DCA after it's billion-dollar makeover. Trust me, you can't compare Disneyland and Magic Kingdom from park maps alone. Don't knock it til you've tried it. :)

Californian Elitist

I will say that there a number of differences one finds at Disneyland, and which are perhaps the greatest differences, that have nothing to do with attraction count.

A lot of it is just stuff like walking around New Orleans Square and realizing you do don't see winding, beautifully-Imagineered walkways and wrought-iron balconies like that in any other Disney park
...or watching a huge, 40-foot, fire-breathing dragon rise before your eyes in their version of Fantasmic
...or knowing you're walking up the same Main Street that Walt did
...or finding out Pirates of the Caribbean is about three times the ride you've known it to be
...or seeing just how impressive a riverboat in a theme park can be (seriously: the Mark Twain blows the little ol' Liberty Belle away)
...or seeing shiny red monorails gliding above bright yellow submarines, all across the same blue lagoon
...or the feeling of riding a submarine in a Disney park, for that matter
...of knowing what Dinosaur's ride system can REALLY be used for
...of looking up on your way out of the park and seeing the light on in Walt Disney's old apartment

It's really magical in an explicable way. And that's just Disneyland itself. I haven't even seen DCA after it's billion-dollar makeover. Trust me, you can't compare Disneyland and Magic Kingdom from park maps alone. Don't knock it til you've tried it. :)

Amen to everything you said but I wanted to specifically talk about Walt's Apartment. I was able to visit and tour the apartment on Main Street last year and it was the most memorable and most special Disney experience of my entire life. I was nervous to actually walk into the apartment and when that door opened it was almost unreal, as I never thought I'd ever be able to step foot in one of my hero's own personal apartment. I was told to have a seat anywhere and I spotted what appeared to be a couch and I sat down. A couple of seconds later, I was told I was sitting on Walt Disney's bed, and I had a miniature heart attack.

I, along with two other ladies, toured that tiny apartment and we were told stories of Walt Disney and his family, my favorite story being when one of the Mouseketeers (I can't remember her name) witnessed Walt Disney cry on Disneyland's opening day, as he looked out his apartment window. That was the biggest reminder as to why I loved Disneyland so much, not that I needed one. The coolest thing about the apartment was the fact that Walt and his family's belongings were left as they were, before he passed. This included furniture, play things...even kitchen utensils. In fact it was like we stepped back in time, during the fifties and sixties.

Getting to my point, when it comes down to it, it doesn't matter to me how many attractions are in Disneyland, or walkways, or restaurants, or whatever. The best part about Disneyland is the fact that Walt Disney designed and built this park and put his heart and soul into it, and I'm blessed to able to visit it pretty much whenever I want. To me, that's where the real "magic" comes from. I'll happily take DL as it is, with small walkways, cramped areas, and the small, yet huggable, quaint, fairytale-like, beautiful castle. I'll say it again, visiting Walt's Apartment was the best Disney experience of my life and unless Walt Disney comes back to life for 24 hours and I got the chance to speak to him, I HIGHLY doubt that moment will be topped. Not even my first visit to WDW will top it, and if never get the chance to visit WDW, I'll be okay because I've got Walt Disney's masterpiece in my backyard. Sorry for the long post.

Tip Top Club

Where the heck did you get the number of attractions for EPCOT? Because I just counted 19...

I count 19 for Disney's Hollywood Studios.

And 15 for DAK.

Let's just face the facts here, ALL The parks need expanding. Magic Kingdom is the biggest problem, a lot of those problems are being addressed with this Fantasyland expansion that will add not only capacity to the park, but also rider throughput with another High-Throughput omnimover.

EPCOT is pretty much perfect, it just needs some big refurbs (Notably Imagination), and perhaps another big new attraction sometime in the next ten years.

Hollywood Studios needs some serious ride rehabs, most notably Movie Ride and Backlot Tour. And they need some big E-Ticket Ride on the Left side of the Park (Indiana Jones, Star Tours, Muppets, Lights Motors Action) to distribute crowds away from Toy Story and Rockin' Roller coaster.

DAK needs several large expansions (Including more animal exhibits), but I won't go into this here.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom