Not So Magic Kingdom question

uno rail

Original Poster
Just returned from a five night stay at WDW. While the trip was as wonderful as ever, I have a question regarding something that came as quite a surprise. In the peak MK parade crowd level times, the park eased traffic by opening a cast member/ evacuation route path from tomorrowland to one of the main street side alleys. It was rather bizarre (and distracting) to leave the beautifully impeccable main street to be herded back behind to the warehouse like facade and parking lots. It just wouldn't seem like something Disney would ever resort to - no matter the amount of congestion. It seems funny from a company passionate enough to construct an underground tunnel system for characters and cast to magically appear that they would suggest that guests travel that way. Just curious as to this little detour or if it is just the norm nowadays.

mousefan1972

We exited MK that way last Sunday night. They use the backstage route when Main Street is too crowded for guests to exit through....

brertigger

I believe they open that pathway up when the park is very full (which happens frequently between Christmas and New Years).

I had been there from 12/15-12/22. The first day I saw them use the pathway was 12/22. I enjoyed the quick glance at backstage.

It was odd to look back from the Christmas tree on Main Street and look through the opened gate and see cars, though.

happymom52003

We had to enter that way last year when we arrived at the MK because they were filming the Christmas parade on Main Street. It really was sad because it was my grandmother's and little cousin's first and only day at the MK....they did not get to experience the magic of stepping onto Main Street for the first time and seeing the castle. :cry:

KeeKee

Wow! I didn't know they were doing this. Seems like a complete break in protocol. Hmmm...not good, WDW. Maybe let in a few less people so all of the guests have a good experience.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Were they forcing you to take that path or was it an option? Also, they offer tours including backstage areas, so if they were so enthralled with keeping the magic intact, they would not be doing the tours.

mousefan1972

Wow! I didn't know they were doing this. Seems like a complete break in protocol. Hmmm...not good, WDW. Maybe let in a few less people so all of the guests have a good experience.

Either way, it's a no-win situation for Disney. Let less guests in, and they will have complaints from those turned away. Don't use the backstage exit, and they will have complaints from those who were stuck on Main St. for hours trying to exit the park. Use the backstage exit, and some will complain about seeing parking lots and dumpsters on their way out. (just to clarify- I am NOT saying the OP was complaining ;)). Having been there, I am glad they allowed guests to use the backstage exit b/c I shudder to think how long it would have taken us to get out, had they not opened it up. Especially with our double stroller.... which DH did NOT use as a battering ram, although he was tempted. :lookaroun It was absolute gridlock. :dazzle:

mousefan1972

Were they forcing you to take that path or was it an option? Also, they offer tours including backstage areas, so if they were so enthralled with keeping the magic intact, they would not be doing the tours.

It was an option. If you were on the Casey's Corner side of Main St., you could have easily have exited through the shops. During our Keys to the Kingdom tour 3 years ago, we were taken to the same spot that they used for the exit... so, nothing new seen for us.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
Both of the times I went to MK during Spring Break they used the backstage escape route too.

Main Street is just completely impassable during parade times. I don't mind going backstage and seeing the less-than-magical path, but I can certainly understand how it could negatively impact a 1st timers impression of Disney.

If I am not mistaken there is a similar backstage pathway at MGM/DHS to get you from Fantasmic! to the main entrance too. During normal crowd times they only take you halfway down Sunset blvd. with it, but during Spring Break/Xmas/etc they actually let you continue all the way to Hollywood Blvd by the Stroller/wheelchair rental on it. (Or I could totally be making that up and having a Disney experience hallucination? :shrug:)

KeeKee

Either way, it's a no-win situation for Disney. Let less guests in, and they will have complaints from those turned away. Don't use the backstage exit, and they will have complaints from those who were stuck on Main St. for hours trying to exit the park. Use the backstage exit, and some will complain about seeing parking lots and dumpsters on their way out. (just to clarify- I am NOT saying the OP was complaining ;)). Having been there, I am glad they allowed guests to use the backstage exit b/c I shudder to think how long it would have taken us to get out, had they not opened it up. Especially with our double stroller.... which DH did NOT use as a battering ram, although he was tempted. :lookaroun It was absolute gridlock. :dazzle:

All good points, but it just seems a shame that they couldn't come up with a better solution than this. If an emergency exit is needed for crowd overflow, why not set something up semi-permanent and theme the area so that it's not such an abrupt change.

There are some pretty creative people there. I bet they could cook something up.

primetime52

I don't know much about this sort of thing, but it's very possible that they HAVE to do this by law on such crowded days, because allowing Main Street to be so congested would be a fire and/or safety hazard.

From a show standpoint it stinks to have to enter or exit from backstage, but from a safety standpoint it seems necessary, since we all know that the Main Entrance of MK isn't exactly the best place for funneling capacity crowds.

I've heard a rumor that this is the same reason why the Space Mountain que no longer uses all of the turnstiles inside. Apparently the main show building doesn't have enough fire exits to meet code, so they are no longer allowed to fill it with people like they used to.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
It was an option. If you were on the Casey's Corner side of Main St., you could have easily have exited through the shops. During our Keys to the Kingdom tour 3 years ago, we were taken to the same spot that they used for the exit... so, nothing new seen for us.

Kind of what I thought. If someone is concerned about losing the magic on a first trip...you still have the option of being hearded down mainstreet with the rest of the cattle....:ROFLOL:

Id love to have 1/2 of 1/2 of 1% of what Disney Parks take in on a day like this.....

brertigger

It was an optional path on 12/22. CMs were recommending to passing guests to use the path, but not requiring it.

It did save at least 5-10 minutes over what it would have taken to walk down the packed Main Street and provided a very interesting behind the scenes look :).

Gorjus

All good points, but it just seems a shame that they couldn't come up with a better solution than this. If an emergency exit is needed for crowd overflow, why not set something up semi-permanent and theme the area so that it's not such an abrupt change.

There are some pretty creative people there. I bet they could cook something up.

First, let me explain that it is an option, not a requirement unless you INSIST on leaving in the middle of a parade when there is no other way to get out. If it had been an average day, they would have made you stay in the park till the parade was over.

Second, I stood 2 feet from the stairs of Expo Hall and couldn't get any further than that. It was wall to wall people. I turned around, went back stage, a long walk, and still made it to my position sooner than if I'd waited to get up those stairs.

What you saw back stage is not how it usually looks. They did their best to supplement the pathways with planters covered in white lights.

For some, it is the coolest thing in the world. If you can't afford a backstage tour, how cool is it to go back there. You can watch cast members come and go. You see how they move food and merchandise. You see how it looks backstage. Catch a glimpse into the Balloon room. See the security people come and go to their base. If I wasn't a cast member, I'd have thought going back there was THE COOLEST THING. One time for Fantasmic, as a guest, before being a CM, we were sent backstage, as a previous poster mentioned. I was like a little kid. I walked REAL slow and examined everything.

It is all about perspective.

MattBoom

When they need to use these routes they do bring in lots of planters on wheels with tall plants inside to try to hide some of the backstage uglyness, such as cast members smoking and dumpsters.

Space Mountain

For those complaining, would you rather walk down Main Street (when you can do it later) and get trampled over and possibly get hurt, or take a shorter, safer walk towards your destination and be able to enjoy the rest of your vacation? They open B routes because the main midways are over congested. For me, I'll take a backstage path any day just to avoid being hit by hundreds of strollers..

uno rail

Original Poster
Thanks for the info. And just to be clear that I certainly was not trying to complain or infer that this was in anyway hindering my experience. Personally I was like a kid in a candy store the whole time.

Sam02

Count me in as one who would love to see a little of backstage. I think it would add to the magic of Disney, not take away. But each person has their own opinion. It's nice that Disney doesn't force anyone down that path.

PhotoDave219

Just returned from a five night stay at WDW. While the trip was as wonderful as ever, I have a question regarding something that came as quite a surprise. In the peak MK parade crowd level times, the park eased traffic by opening a cast member/ evacuation route path from tomorrowland to one of the main street side alleys. It was rather bizarre (and distracting) to leave the beautifully impeccable main street to be herded back behind to the warehouse like facade and parking lots. It just wouldn't seem like something Disney would ever resort to - no matter the amount of congestion. It seems funny from a company passionate enough to construct an underground tunnel system for characters and cast to magically appear that they would suggest that guests travel that way. Just curious as to this little detour or if it is just the norm nowadays.

Its a normal occurrence when there are insane crowds, theyve done this for several years now during holidays. Think of it as a safety thing when MSUSA is packed beyond belief.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom