Pre-Trip Not our typical Disney trip (and a bonus very typical Disney trip!)

Hi friends! For those who don't know the cast of my TRs, here we are:

M (my wife)
Writer/academic administrator

B (me)
Opera singer/voice teacher

We've been together for ten years and married for 2.5 years. We both grew up in Florida and went to WDW frequently as kids and teenagers. Then we discovered park-going as adults and realized...it's even more fun! We now live in NJ just outside of NYC and although we can't go to Disney as often as we'd like we still visit the Mouse when we visit M's family in Florida (and sometimes without visiting them...shhhh!).

Now about the title: we've been talking about doing a different kind of Disney trip for awhile now, and recently we finally picked some dates and started diving into trip planning. What makes this trip so different? We're going back to where it all began. We're going to Disney...LAND!!!

Now of course it would be silly for two East Coast girls to fly all the way to California without seeing more of what the state has to offer. So we're starting in northern CA and working our way down, and Disneyland will be at the end of the trip.

Dates: August 4-14, 2017
Flights: Southwest (we're quite loyal by this point!)
Lodging: various throughout the state

I'll post our plans a few days at a time in the following posts. Any tips for WDW veterans/first-time DLR visitors are more than welcome! We've been doing our research but the whole concept of not pre-planning very much is a little daunting. If this were a WDW trip we'd have all our ADRs planned by now, haha! We're very much looking forward to the different vibe of DLR.

Stay tuned for more!

Last edited:

bee

Original Poster
I'm back in NJ!!! There's no place like home and nothing like waking up in your own bed next to your own wife (wait, that sounds like I was doing something scandalous while away...I wasn't!) and making breakfast in your own kitchen and showering in your own shower.

Today: teaching job interview
Wednesday: audition
Thursday: possible callback for Wednesday audition
Friday: CALIFORNIAAAAAAAAAAAA

We are thinking about using MaxPass at the Disneyland parks. It seems like a cross between paper FP and WDW's FP+. It costs $10/person/day but it might be worth it as we have a short trip and this might be our only DLR trip for awhile.

Last edited:

amjt660

Premium Member
I'm back in NJ!!! There's no place like home and nothing like waking up in your own bed next to your own wife (wait, that sounds like I was doing something scandalous while away...I wasn't!) and making breakfast in your own kitchen and showering in your own shower.

Today: teaching job interview
Wednesday: audition
Thursday: possible callback for Wednesday audition
Friday: CALIFORNIAAAAAAAAAAAA

We are thinking about using MaxPass at the Disneyland parks. It seems like a cross between paper FP and WDW's FP+. It costs $10/person/day but it might be worth it as we have a short trip and this might be our only DLR trip for awhile.

My understanding of MaxPass is as follows

1) DLR still uses traditional FP - no advance booking
2) Non Max Pass users must go to a machine at the ride to get their slip of paper.
3) Max Pass allows you to book, cancel , rebook all your FP on your phone (avoid the extra walking)
4) It does not get you more FP, still have to wait till the start of your next window or 2 hours - whichever is less.
5) But you can book that next one right away - as soon as you use your current FP (perhaps while waiting in line)

For a first timer with a limited number of days in the parks I think you will get a benefit.

We are on the fence for our trip at the end of August.
Attendance should be going down at that time of year , we have 4 days in the parks, and we do not need to rush based on it not being our first time.

I say go for it (AND let me know if it is worth it when you are there/when you get back)

(edit- I am glad you are back home in your own bed, with your wife, etc etc - Travelling seems glamorous but there truly is no place like home - the chick from Kansas was spot on back in 1939);)
Max

bee

Original Poster
My understanding of MaxPass is as follows

1) DLR still uses traditional FP - no advance booking
2) Non Max Pass users must go to a machine at the ride to get their slip of paper.
3) Max Pass allows you to book, cancel , rebook all your FP on your phone (avoid the extra walking)
4) It does not get you more FP, still have to wait till the start of your next window or 2 hours - whichever is less.
5) But you can book that next one right away - as soon as you use your current FP (perhaps while waiting in line)

For a first timer with a limited number of days in the parks I think you will get a benefit.

We are on the fence for our trip at the end of August.
Attendance should be going down at that time of year , we have 4 days in the parks, and we do not need to rush based on it not being our first time.

I say go for it (AND let me know if it is worth it when you are there/when you get back)

(edit- I am glad you are back home in your own bed, with your wife, etc etc - Travelling seems glamorous but there truly is no place like home - the chick from Kansas was spot on back in 1939);)
Max
Thanks for the explanation of MaxPass. It sounds like a great deal for first timers during August. We'll do it at least the first day and go forward from there. :D

In WDW trip news, we are going to take advantage of the 30% off TIW deal at Flying Fish on our second night. I've read great reviews of their vegetarian menu, which, like Jiko, includes four distinct entrees.

That day we'll have F&W stuff for lunch, do FPs (LWTL, Frozen, MS), walk back to the Dolphin to change and rest, then walk to FF for a (hopefully!) delightful meal. Then we'll either retire to our hotel, or go back to Epcot for more fun and IllumiNations.

Also, as soon as the Epcot 35 merch comes out we are going to NEED a bunch of things :p

bee

Original Poster
Yesterday's interview went amazingly well. I arrived about half an hour early and got to chat for awhile with a friend of mine from undergrad who is a conductor for the organization (and who passed on my name and resume to the appropriate parties).

At the actual interview time the "panel" gave me a tour of their beautiful facilities (offices, performance/rehearsal spaces, practice rooms, etc.). Then we went into one of the offices for the interview portion, which was more like a discussion than a "job interview." I noticed one of the women on the panel had a list of typical interview questions but she never actually asked them because we talked so much about my teaching philosophy and experience that I guess they didn't need more information about me.

I then gave a brief demo lesson to a teenage student while the panel observed. It went well and one of the panel members said she was going to steal one of my exercises (a huge compliment-I always "steal" the best stuff from other teachers!).

We talked availability and the position is only for 1-2 days a week for about 10 weeks/semester, which is perfect because I am very busy and it would be difficult for me to commit to teaching every single week. I basically went in knowing I don't "need" this job but it would be nice supplemental income and good network building for the future. They told me they are building a bank of teachers and will put students and teachers together once they know the schedule better. Overall I was at the office for an hour and forty minutes and I know I made a good impression so we shall see what, if anything, comes of it.

Today's audition was for...drumroll please...the Voices of Liberty. I didn't get a callback but I felt great about how I sang. The auditioner remembered me from last year and was complimentary of the work I had done. They want a very controlled, straight tone sound and nothing remotely operatic or classical. I know my song choice this year was way more appropriate and I showed a better version of myself according to what they're looking for. Maybe next year, or the next...

Since I didn't get a callback that means I'm off all day tomorrow and have more time to get ready for the trip!! I have barely unpacked from the last trip but at least we did laundry last night so we should be able to start packing tonight and not leave it to the last minute.

We decided to do Southwest early checkin so we don't have to get up at 5:45 tomorrow to do it. I don't mind waking up but I know it would wake up M and she wouldn't be able to go back to sleep before work so we are paying $30 for a little extra sleep and peace of mind.

bee

Original Poster
More trip-related things! We switched our first and last night hotels to slightly cheaper (but similar quality) options. M also found a better deal on the rental car for the same company (how? who knows!). Between these three things we are saving almost $130.

I also found a Groupon for the Walt Disney Family Museum in San Francisco. It includes the special exhibit on Eyvind Earle, the lead stylist for Sleeping Beauty, for no additional charge. It would have been $10 more per person if we had purchased it from the museum directly.

AND

Our MagicBands for the 8/31 trip are on the way!!!

Songbird76

Yesterday's interview went amazingly well. I arrived about half an hour early and got to chat for awhile with a friend of mine from undergrad who is a conductor for the organization (and who passed on my name and resume to the appropriate parties).

At the actual interview time the "panel" gave me a tour of their beautiful facilities (offices, performance/rehearsal spaces, practice rooms, etc.). Then we went into one of the offices for the interview portion, which was more like a discussion than a "job interview." I noticed one of the women on the panel had a list of typical interview questions but she never actually asked them because we talked so much about my teaching philosophy and experience that I guess they didn't need more information about me.

I then gave a brief demo lesson to a teenage student while the panel observed. It went well and one of the panel members said she was going to steal one of my exercises (a huge compliment-I always "steal" the best stuff from other teachers!).

We talked availability and the position is only for 1-2 days a week for about 10 weeks/semester, which is perfect because I am very busy and it would be difficult for me to commit to teaching every single week. I basically went in knowing I don't "need" this job but it would be nice supplemental income and good network building for the future. They told me they are building a bank of teachers and will put students and teachers together once they know the schedule better. Overall I was at the office for an hour and forty minutes and I know I made a good impression so we shall see what, if anything, comes of it.

Today's audition was for...drumroll please...the Voices of Liberty. I didn't get a callback but I felt great about how I sang. The auditioner remembered me from last year and was complimentary of the work I had done. They want a very controlled, straight tone sound and nothing remotely operatic or classical. I know my song choice this year was way more appropriate and I showed a better version of myself according to what they're looking for. Maybe next year, or the next...

Since I didn't get a callback that means I'm off all day tomorrow and have more time to get ready for the trip!! I have barely unpacked from the last trip but at least we did laundry last night so we should be able to start packing tonight and not leave it to the last minute.

We decided to do Southwest early checkin so we don't have to get up at 5:45 tomorrow to do it. I don't mind waking up but I know it would wake up M and she wouldn't be able to go back to sleep before work so we are paying $30 for a little extra sleep and peace of mind.
Congrats on a great interview! I've used exercises from workshops and things that are just amazing. There are some wonderful teachers out there to "steal" techniques from.
Bummer about VoL, but at least you know what they are looking for and can gear your next audition to that. What a dream that would be...singing with them. My dream was always to be the singing voice in a Disney animated film, but now that I live across the pond, that's not going to happen.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
You are going to love the Walt Disney Family Museum. I've been itching to go back, we went in 2013, I'm hoping to talk my old college roommates on San Francisco as our reunion destination so I can go again. For some reason they don't want to do Disney because they "just can't go without the their children, and they aren't Disney fans. So we we do go to SF, I'll be doing the museum on my own.

bee

Original Poster
You go, girl!!!! :happy:
Thanks, @Tuvalu! :inlove:

Like @Tuvalu said you rock!
Thanks, @figmentfan423! :inlove:

Congrats on a great interview! I've used exercises from workshops and things that are just amazing. There are some wonderful teachers out there to "steal" techniques from.
Thanks! I've had five voice teachers and plenty of coaches and choral conductors since childhood and I've been stealing from all of them this whole time. It's about knowing what exercise to use for a particular student and when and why. :)

Bummer about VoL, but at least you know what they are looking for and can gear your next audition to that. What a dream that would be...singing with them. My dream was always to be the singing voice in a Disney animated film, but now that I live across the pond, that's not going to happen.

I wish they chose you for VOL. Their loss, I'm afraid . . . :(
Thanks, @Songbird76 and @MinnieM123! I'm not bummed at all as I never go into an audition expecting any particular outcome other than I'm going to give the best performance I can in a limited amount of time. I typically sing 30+ auditions per year and if I get 2-3 new jobs or contacts out of those I consider it a successful audition season. Most of the work in this industry comes from knowing someone who knows someone and auditions are only a small part of the picture.

You are going to love the Walt Disney Family Museum. I've been itching to go back, we went in 2013, I'm hoping to talk my old college roommates on San Francisco as our reunion destination so I can go again. For some reason they don't want to do Disney because they "just can't go without the their children, and they aren't Disney fans. So we we do go to SF, I'll be doing the museum on my own.
Friends who aren't Disney fans??? :eek: I hope you get to go, solo or not!

Songbird76

Friends who aren't Disney fans??? :eek:

I know!! Shocking, isn't it?? I've been trying to convince my brother and his husband to come with us to Disney for years especially now that they have a kid. My brother is all for it...we went a few times when we were younger, but my BIL thinks it's too expensive and he could go on a cruise for a lot less money. Yes...but will there be Disney characters and rides on a cruise?? HM, PotC, PP, Soarin'? Can you travel around the world in one day on a cruise? My niece is really wanting to go, so maybe she will wear him down.

amjt660

Premium Member
I hope that the two of you have a great time in Cali and I look forward to all the details and pics when you return.
We really enjoyed the WD Family Museum back in 2010
Don't forgot to try to find the Yoda statue on the grounds of the Presidio

Max

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom