Not looking good for "Lone Ranger"

AndyMagic

It's not just summer movies. It's every movie....despite efforts to maintain the length of movie cycles from 40 years ago, today, you get a very large share of your receipts opening weekend.

If you don't kill em right out of the gate, you're dead where you stand...

While films don't stay in the marketplace as long as they used to, the assumption that a film is DOA based on the opening weekend alone doesn't apply to great films that generate good word of mouth. The more appropriate assessment of the film industry today is that a crappy film can be saved by a huge opening weekend. If you have both a lackluster movie AND a bad opening weekend then it's true, you're dead where you stand.

Bairstow

Sorry that article's a hot mess. Gilbert Cruz cites four reasons for why the movie industry has problems...but seriously contradicts himself on two of reasons and

He claims the Origin-story is a huge problem in movies...but in the same paragraph states that 'the origin story MUST be told' Which is? Do you want the Origin story or not?

Not. He points out that this is a related problem to the industry's reliance on franchises, or at least the way they seem to think they must.
I think he may have also been making a rhetorical statement to illustrate the conventional thinking.

IMHO, There's nothing wrong with Origin stories. Tell that to Chris Nolan -- He has two of them that are hugely successful. One is in the theaters as we speak...

Well one is Batman Begins, easily the weakest and least successful of his Batman movies.
If you meant that the other one is Man of Steel that's not really his movie. He's only producing it. That mess is Zack Synder's fault.

Secondly, he complains about movie length....and in the same paragraph, quotes Roger Ebert's near-famous statement "No good movie is too long and no bad movie is short enough." Movie length is a non-issue. If the movie sucks, it's too long. If the movie is great, I'll watch it for 3 hours, rewatch it home multiple times and take 10 more equally good sequels, thank you!

He quoted Ebert before making his substantive point- that the large-scale dramas released around the Christmas season are often justified in their long running times whereas the special effects extravaganzas released during the summer usually are not. Implicit then is the idea that most of these summer tentpole moves are pretty bad, which is true.
It makes sense for Lincoln to be 150 minutes long.
It makes no sense for The Lone Ranger to be 150 minutes long.

That leaves the franchise problem and the ratings problem. I'm not so sure someone can sit there with a straight face and say there's a franchise problem. Take a look at the All Time worldwide gross list (http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/). 8, soon to be 9, of the top 10 grossing movies of all time are franchises. That's not a problem.

The "problem" he writes about isn't so much that franchise-based movies aren't successful, it's that in their attempt to find and create new profitable franchises the studios are often churning out movies that suck.

the 'ratings' problem......excuse me? what ratings problem? This is a total non-issue. Every film for the past 50 years has had to deal with the ratings issue. It's a known entity. It hasn't changed in 2 generations. As a parent, I would hate a movie industry without some barometer to understand what the content of a movie is going to be.

The "problem" here isn't that there is a ratings system in place for movies, it's that it's largely ineffectual. PG-13 has long been the magic target for most "family" oriented big budget summer movies, yet at the same time there's an impulse on the part of filmmakers to cram as much violence and killing into these sorts of films as possible in order to lure teenagers and adults. The result is that you end up with something like "Lone Ranger" or "World War Z" which are officially rated PG-13 but filled with as much bloodless onscreen death as they can fit in. I suppose this may please some parents, and it certainly seems to make money, but it doesn't result in very good movies.

mickhyperion

Just came back from seeing the Lone Ranger. It was stellar - pure excitement and humor for 179 minutes. Don't believe the hype....I don't know who or why they're trying to John Carter this movie, but it's not even remotely a bad film.
I agree, it was great. It's as good as the best aspects of the POTC movies and was a big surprise considering the dismal critics' rating on Rotten Tomatoes. I've never liked critics anyway though.

Wilt Dasney

As much as I'd have liked to see it do better, I doubt there will be any word-of-mouth "legs" recovery for this movie. Just off the top of my head:

1. It doesn't have strong female appeal, which any historical examples of long-term success movies I can think of have (Titanic or My Big Fat Greek Wedding).
2. It's a summer release fighting for space on the marquee, where Titanic was a holiday release.
3. Frankly...it just isn't that good. I walked out of it feeling generally positive based almost entirely on the climax and I *did* enjoy parts of it, but I think this just has to be acknowledged. It's an idea with a lot of potential, and I love the idea of resurrecting the big heroes of yesteryear, but this movie is decent at best.

In its favor is the fact that this is a relatively weak late summer for movies. The big guns have pretty much been fired. Outside of "The Wolverine" or "Smurfs 2", I don't see a lot of big things coming down the pipeline in the next several weeks. But it still has to deal with what's already out there. This movie probably deserved better, but it is what it is.

Bairstow

In its favor is the fact that this is a relatively weak late summer for movies. The big guns have pretty much been fired. Outside of "The Wolverine" or "Smurfs 2", I don't see a lot of big things coming down the pipeline in the next several weeks. But it still has to deal with what's already out there. This movie probably deserved better, but it is what it is.

There's still Pacific Rim and Elysium.
I expect both of them to do very well.

PirateFrank

The 'John Cartering' of this film is 100% based not on the quality of product, but purely at the box office take.

Read this great article from the Wall Street Cheat Sheet...

http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/...failure-endanger-future-films.html/?a=viewall

George Lucas and Steven Spielberg were right last month...

They were indeed....but at the same time last month, Lucas had to put both his feet into his mouth with this gem :

"Going to the movies will cost 50 bucks or 100 or 150 bucks, like what Broadway costs today, or a football game. It'll be an expensive thing. . . . (The movies) will sit in the theaters for a year, like a Broadway show does."

Wanna talk about cementing the fact that you are so out of touch with both technology and your audience? Lucas wins the whole enchilada with this stupid statement. I always thought he was out of touch, with that abortion of a character, Jar Jar. But this takes the cake. He's assuming that the constant remains the cost of making movies and that the variable is the wallets of the movie goers. Stupid Lucas. This didn't happen in the music business, it wont happen in the movie business. At the end of this implosion, movies will have to make hard cuts to production budgets (especially those $50M salaries to RDJ)....Because the movie goer isn't going to accept a 400%-1200% increase to ticket prices. Not happening....

Moreover, he really thinks that the movie consumer is going to allow the movie cycle to stretch out 2-3 times as long as it currently is? Think about it. back in the late 70s, Star Wars was in the theaters for a year. Today, the same movie is out on DVD in 5-6 months. Tomorrow, the digital copy will be available within a few weeks. Today's consumer is not going to allow the current life cycle to get longer. They will demand it to be shortened. Stupid Lucas.....

Darth Tater

Well one is Batman Begins, easily the weakest and least successful of his Batman movies.
I absolutely loved this movie. Sure it may not have the flashy villain or colorful Gotham as seen in the previous Batman series of the 1990's, but overall I thought this film was superb, and did an excellent job exploring Bruce Wayne's dilemmas leading up to his years as the Dark Knight.

As much as I'd have liked to see it do better, I doubt there will be any word-of-mouth "legs" recovery for this movie. Just off the top of my head:

1. It doesn't have strong female appeal, which any historical examples of long-term success movies I can think of have (Titanic or My Big Fat Greek Wedding).
2. It's a summer release fighting for space on the marquee, where Titanic was a holiday release.
3. Frankly...it just isn't that good. I walked out of it feeling generally positive based almost entirely on the climax and I *did* enjoy parts of it, but I think this just has to be acknowledged. It's an idea with a lot of potential, and I love the idea of resurrecting the big heroes of yesteryear, but this movie is decent at best.

Disagree with the lack of female appeal. My wife absolutely loved this movie.

I'm sure Iger will give himself a raise and fire somebody else.

Obi Walt Kenobi

I for one did enjoy the movie even more than I thought I would. Overall it's a fun movie, Johnny depp is a great Tonto, and it has a good plot. The pace is a bit slow a times the story seems to drag on between action senses. At almost two and a half hours it's a long film, but they do a lot of character building I sure they had plans to make a franchise if these would have taken off. Sadly this may be the Lone rangers last ride due to the lack of tickets being sold. I believe in big part of the failure was marketing just don't think many people are aware of it much less sold on it.

imagineer boy

While it was far from a flawless film I have to say I strangely enjoyed it too. Just a decent fun pop corn flick. The main problem with the movie for me however was that the story was very predictable and cliché. Plus I found both of the villains to be boring and unmemorable. Not to mention there were a lot of out right STRANGE moments here and there. But despite that I found myself enjoying it and I have no idea why. lol

Matt7187

Well, after all the bashing I heard of it everywhere, I went into it earlier today with a low ceiling. But, I must say I was very surprised. Thought it was very good, almost around original pirates territory, but not quite. Will definantly get it when it comes out on iTunes. Funny, haven't said that about a disney live action move for a while...

Uncle Lupe

A contributing factor in the area that I live, rural southern Ohio. This is the start of fair season. Each week a different surrounding county fair kicks off. Families are making choices for entertainment and can only do so much. I know it sounds silly but some families spend a lot of time and money for these events and do not have the extra income to do it all.

I went to the movies Tuesday to see this and there were maybe 15 cars in the parking lot. Everybody was at the fair. Now our local theater is the only one in 35 miles of 7 towns. When you live here every night is a movie night during summer break. Tuesday morning they have free movies in the summer. They are second run movies, no charge for admission just food. All four screens show the same movie and it is always packed. This is just a bad time for movies and retail in our small towns.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom