Not Good News for WDW

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
I truly have to restrain myself when I read posts like this one. It's attitudes such as this that are so dangerous in any culture and, more specifically for the purposes of this post, for the future of the Disney parks. It's partially this seemingly benign belief system that is systemic of the continued downward trend of quality in the Disney product.

First, I need to state the normal disclaimers. You have every right to your opinion and I'm sincerely happy that you and your family have a great time when visiting WDW. I certainly don't expect everyone to be a student of WDW history or an expert in the theme park business to understand the problems associated with this post. This is in no way a personal attack on you but more of an attack on a pervasive frame of mind in recent American culture.

You can see it by comparing automobile aesthetics and durability from 50 or 60 years ago to today's plastic cars for example. You can see other examples by visiting your local Wal Mart and comparing it to the 50's when customer service, quality and local pride were evident in the products offered in restaurants, drug stores and other public venues. How does medical care compare to the days when just about everyone could afford to go to the doctor, or better yet, have the doctor come to them? Today our mega corporations, government and educational system have molded our expectations to suit their profit and growth goals. They have prepared us for the "cookie cutter" franchise landscape that has all but wiped out the "small guy" and their ability to innovate and introduce those innovations to the marketplace. There are isolated cases but they are becoming few and far between. The number of quashed ideas that would make our lives so much richer will never be known.

How does that relate to our current discussion? The number of theme park related innovations and the level of quality has been suppressed and reduced significantly over the past 13 years in much the same way. And this has occured all while the Disney consumer at large has been silent, with a few exceptions, about it.

Those that know what WDW used to be seem to be the ones that are concerned over the company's steady decline in quality standards. Those that have not been visiting since 1971 seem to be complacent and satisfied with the parks today. If you can accept this postulate you should ask yourself why this is. Why is there a common understanding amongst long time WDW visitors in this regard? I don't think there is anyone that has been visiting regularly since 1971that would believe WDW quality has been maintained and has not rather been slipping steadily.

I remember talking with a maintenence supervisor about the now defunct light bulb replacement list. WDI used to provide a matrix with every bulb listed and a replacement date for that fixture. The idea was to replace each bulb before it burned out so every light would work for every visitor. This was very effective for many years. Disney maintenence was legendary and one of the common quotes to support their status would include a reference to the fact that not one burnt out light bulb could ever be found on property. Today they laugh when this matrix is brought up.

I was walking around DHS yesterday and I saw the Prime Time Cafe main sign was out except for the word "cafe." I also noticed the Great Movie Ride read something like, "the eat ride." This has now become the norm rather than the exception unfortunately. I remember as a kid walking down Main Street trying to find a burnt out bulb. Never could. The first time I found one was many years later during the beginning of the decline.

Back in my younger days when I worked as an attractions host I remember when an attraction would go 101if one animatronic had only one function broken. Today they'll operate an attraction if an entire scene is down. They'll let important show elements sit unattended for days. They did not tolerate anything less than perfection back in the day because this could affect the "Disney magic" experience for the guests. One only need visit Tokyo Disney to see that these same standards could work in today's world.

One of the reasons Tokyo works so well is attitude; both of its visitors and its cast members. Its visitors expect nothing less than perfection. Its cast members take personal pride in their jobs, from the street sweepers to the upper management. A great example comes to mind when I was working on an install for a DisneySea attraction. During an inspection I found a show control cable had been wired incorrectly. This was after hours so I called the AV guy who had already gone home to see if he knew where I could find the proper connector to redo it. He apologized profusely for the mistake and insisted that he travel the hour distance back to the park and correct the mistake himself. I told him that it was no big deal but he insisted, hung up and showed up an hour later. I've also worked in a similar capacity at WDW and found a completely different attitude. Not only did I find a significant increase in mistakes throughout the project by comparison but also a much different attitude with respect to job pride and commitment. There is also a marked difference in the way OLC management treats its cast members compared to WDWs. Everything from the budgets to the attitudes from management are reflected in the final product.

I can't tell you how many times I heard the phrase, "but it's only for Florida not Tokyo" at WDI. If this is the kind of product you are satisfied with than perhaps you truly don't understand what you and your family could be experiencing for the thousands of hard earned dollars you are dropping in Florida.

There has been enough posted with specifics on what should and could have been with respect to attractions such as Soarin', Nemo, Mission Space, Everest, Laugh Floor etc. You are getting about 40% of the experience you are paying for. Yes I understand that despite the lower quality and quantity you are still having a great time. I understand that in this case maybe ignorance is bliss. But I submit to you that if you could catch a glimpse of what WDW could be you probably would stop being so complacent and you might even speak up as others that share the same views as myself do.

Nice summary of your observations, thoughts and concerns on the topic, possibly the best one I've read in the two or three threads on the subject. I agree with the vast majority of what you've said, and as one who has visited since '73 I agree with the "deterioration". I have two thoughts that I'd like to add to your discussion that I think change the conclusions (for me anyway).

First, the whole situation of having a critical mass of those providing constructive complaints or by negatively impacting the park through boycott...I wish I shared your optimism that that could possibly work. As you have stated, for every person that laments the decline, you have a hundred who roll cluelessly along. I have given up on the dilusion that I can impact the mouse. The only two ways I see change being facilitated are 1) having a key administrator ( like Matt Ouimet) who feels as passionately as you, and 2) having a major negative impact caused by innovation at one of the other parks. It remains to be seen if Potterworld or the coasters will in any way change the Disney dynamic. If it does....then you will see your change, I don't see a mass....or even significant exodus however, at least beyond the first 3-6 months. I hope I am wrong.

The second issue revolves around society, American society and the composite mentality. Your mention of businesses like Walmart gobbling up so many mom and pop stores, Lowe's and HD destroying the corner hardware store, various other big box invaders. Complain all you want, the collective we are what gave them the success and power.

When I am in Disney parks, I am far more bothered by guests than I am an occasionally sullen CM or burned out lightbulb. Without needing to go into detail, the decline in guest behavior is far greater than Disneyworld since '71. How much time and effort is spend on corrections of vandalism (that could be spent on PM or improvements? Your comments on TDL further reinforce this issue. In Tokyo, the guests behave like....well....guests! They are polite, they put their garbage where it belongs, they respect the park. That is a big reason why that park "can" be different.

I wish I knew the answer, I wish I had a viable alternative to your suggestions. I wish I had your optimism that I or we could help to precipitate and awareness or change. Living and working in a place where banks and investment companies can do what they did, where politicians are well.....
where companies are so quick to lay of 1/4 of their work force without thinking twice....I guess I am guilty of thinking that Disney is good enough. :eek: :(

whylightbulb

Nice summary of your observations, thoughts and concerns on the topic, possibly the best one I've read in the two or three threads on the subject. I agree with the vast majority of what you've said, and as one who has visited since '73 I agree with the "deterioration". I have two thoughts that I'd like to add to your discussion that I think change the conclusions (for me anyway).

First, the whole situation of having a critical mass of those providing constructive complaints or by negatively impacting the park through boycott...I wish I shared your optimism that that could possibly work. As you have stated, for every person that laments the decline, you have a hundred who roll cluelessly along. I have given up on the dilusion that I can impact the mouse. The only two ways I see change being facilitated are 1) having a key administrator ( like Matt Ouimet) who feels as passionately as you, and 2) having a major negative impact caused by innovation at one of the other parks. It remains to be seen if Potterworld or the coasters will in any way change the Disney dynamic. If it does....then you will see your change, I don't see a mass....or even significant exodus however, at least beyond the first 3-6 months. I hope I am wrong.

The second issue revolves around society, American society and the composite mentality. Your mention of businesses like Walmart gobbling up so many mom and pop stores, Lowe's and HD destroying the corner hardware store, various other big box invaders. Complain all you want, the collective we are what gave them the success and power.

When I am in Disney parks, I am far more bothered by guests than I am an occasionally sullen CM or burned out lightbulb. Without needing to go into detail, the decline in guest behavior is far greater than Disneyworld since '71. How much time and effort is spend on corrections of vandalism (that could be spent on PM or improvements? Your comments on TDL further reinforce this issue. In Tokyo, the guests behave like....well....guests! They are polite, they put their garbage where it belongs, they respect the park. That is a big reason why that park "can" be different.

I wish I knew the answer, I wish I had a viable alternative to your suggestions. I wish I had your optimism that I or we could help to precipitate and awareness or change. Living and working in a place where banks and investment companies can do what they did, where politicians are well.....
where companies are so quick to lay of 1/4 of their work force without thinking twice....I guess I am guilty of thinking that Disney is good enough. :eek: :(
I can't say I disagree with you completely. The task is overwhelming! The vast majority of guests will accept the garbage being produced out of Glendale and Burbank. Most people will not care about the 2 or 3 bulbs that they notice. At least they won't care consciously. I can tell you from my design studies and experience that it does matter subconsciously and does affect the overall impression and experience.

That aside, believe it or not management does listen to guest response. that is a good thing and a bad thing. It's bad because the parameters that the industrial engineering department at WDW have set up are not nearly detailed enough to get a true gauge of customer demand and satisfaction. Asking a guest a question such as, "on a scale of 1 to 10 how did you enjoy Soarin?" will normally elicit a positive response. If they were to ask a question like, "what would you think of the current Soarin' if the original were implemented where your vehicle would not just fly a few feet only to stop in front of the projection screen, but it would continue through a series of lavishly detailed sets, special effects and projections to the finale sequence that is represented now," management might be seeing some different data. What would the scale be with that question do you think? On top of that they never ask a question such as, "did you notice the film quality of Soarin?" How about compaing image quality of the new Simpsons ride projection and Soarin'?

What I'm getting at is the more we educate the public regarding what they are missing and being cheated of, the more their responses will make management react properly. Just one complaint at City Hall may not make a huge impact, but 10 complaints about the same thing might.

It's true that the Japanese are more respectful of property and other guests. But this doesn't explain the dramatic discrepency between ride and show maintenence in Japan vs. WDW. It's easier for OLC to maintain public access areas but they certainly have the same challenges and opportunities that WDW has to keep each attraction's show quality and ride efficiency in top condition.

Enigma

Account Suspended
I truly have to restrain myself when I read posts like this one. It's attitudes such as this that are so dangerous in any culture and, more specifically for the purposes of this post, for the future of the Disney parks. It's partially this seemingly benign belief system that is systemic of the continued downward trend of quality in the Disney product.

First, I need to state the normal disclaimers. You have every right to your opinion and I'm sincerely happy that you and your family have a great time when visiting WDW. I certainly don't expect everyone to be a student of WDW history or an expert in the theme park business to understand the problems associated with this post. This is in no way a personal attack on you but more of an attack on a pervasive frame of mind in recent American culture.

You can see it by comparing automobile aesthetics and durability from 50 or 60 years ago to today's plastic cars for example. You can see other examples by visiting your local Wal Mart and comparing it to the 50's when customer service, quality and local pride were evident in the products offered in restaurants, drug stores and other public venues. How does medical care compare to the days when just about everyone could afford to go to the doctor, or better yet, have the doctor come to them? Today our mega corporations, government and educational system have molded our expectations to suit their profit and growth goals. They have prepared us for the "cookie cutter" franchise landscape that has all but wiped out the "small guy" and their ability to innovate and introduce those innovations to the marketplace. There are isolated cases but they are becoming few and far between. The number of quashed ideas that would make our lives so much richer will never be known.

How does that relate to our current discussion? The number of theme park related innovations and the level of quality has been suppressed and reduced significantly over the past 13 years in much the same way. And this has occured all while the Disney consumer at large has been silent, with a few exceptions, about it.

Those that know what WDW used to be seem to be the ones that are concerned over the company's steady decline in quality standards. Those that have not been visiting since 1971 seem to be complacent and satisfied with the parks today. If you can accept this postulate you should ask yourself why this is. Why is there a common understanding amongst long time WDW visitors in this regard? I don't think there is anyone that has been visiting regularly since 1971that would believe WDW quality has been maintained and has not rather been slipping steadily.

I remember talking with a maintenence supervisor about the now defunct light bulb replacement list. WDI used to provide a matrix with every bulb listed and a replacement date for that fixture. The idea was to replace each bulb before it burned out so every light would work for every visitor. This was very effective for many years. Disney maintenence was legendary and one of the common quotes to support their status would include a reference to the fact that not one burnt out light bulb could ever be found on property. Today they laugh when this matrix is brought up.

I was walking around DHS yesterday and I saw the Prime Time Cafe main sign was out except for the word "cafe." I also noticed the Great Movie Ride read something like, "the eat ride." This has now become the norm rather than the exception unfortunately. I remember as a kid walking down Main Street trying to find a burnt out bulb. Never could. The first time I found one was many years later during the beginning of the decline.

Back in my younger days when I worked as an attractions host I remember when an attraction would go 101if one animatronic had only one function broken. Today they'll operate an attraction if an entire scene is down. They'll let important show elements sit unattended for days. They did not tolerate anything less than perfection back in the day because this could affect the "Disney magic" experience for the guests. One only need visit Tokyo Disney to see that these same standards could work in today's world.

One of the reasons Tokyo works so well is attitude; both of its visitors and its cast members. Its visitors expect nothing less than perfection. Its cast members take personal pride in their jobs, from the street sweepers to the upper management. A great example comes to mind when I was working on an install for a DisneySea attraction. During an inspection I found a show control cable had been wired incorrectly. This was after hours so I called the AV guy who had already gone home to see if he knew where I could find the proper connector to redo it. He apologized profusely for the mistake and insisted that he travel the hour distance back to the park and correct the mistake himself. I told him that it was no big deal but he insisted, hung up and showed up an hour later. I've also worked in a similar capacity at WDW and found a completely different attitude. Not only did I find a significant increase in mistakes throughout the project by comparison but also a much different attitude with respect to job pride and commitment. There is also a marked difference in the way OLC management treats its cast members compared to WDWs. Everything from the budgets to the attitudes from management are reflected in the final product.

I can't tell you how many times I heard the phrase, "but it's only for Florida not Tokyo" at WDI. If this is the kind of product you are satisfied with than perhaps you truly don't understand what you and your family could be experiencing for the thousands of hard earned dollars you are dropping in Florida.

There has been enough posted with specifics on what should and could have been with respect to attractions such as Soarin', Nemo, Mission Space, Everest, Laugh Floor etc. You are getting about 40% of the experience you are paying for. Yes I understand that despite the lower quality and quantity you are still having a great time. I understand that in this case maybe ignorance is bliss. But I submit to you that if you could catch a glimpse of what WDW could be you probably would stop being so complacent and you might even speak up as others that share the same views as myself do.

WELL SAID. You rock dude! :sohappy:

TP2000

You can see it by comparing automobile aesthetics and durability from 50 or 60 years ago to today's plastic cars for example. How does medical care compare to the days when just about everyone could afford to go to the doctor, or better yet, have the doctor come to them?

I loved your post, but I feel those two examples are way over-simplified at best, and flat out wrong at worst.

Health care, for example; In 1955 Mrs. Smith calls the family doctor who rushes to the home to sit at little Timmy's bedside when he has the flu. The doctors black bag contains all the tools the doctor has, and after a cursory chest thump and look at the tongue, it's "take two aspirin and call me in the morning". Today Mrs. Smith needs to drive to the family doctor at the sleek medical center and he may not remember you until he pulls up the computer file, but then that doctor has access to the most cutting edge technology to scan and test the body and all vital and secondary systems. Does Timmy just have the flu with swollen glands, or might it be early signs of thyroid cancer that the computer files know runs on Mrs. Smith's side of the family? We'll know in 20 minutes when the lab results come back from the organ imaging supercomputer on the fourth floor. I'll take the 2009 version of that health care scenario and skip the two aspirin and tongue depressor version.

Car improvements are even more extreme, but the steady increase in their quality and technology and safety over the last 30 years has been so continual that we now just expect it. Yes, the 1955 Chevrolet had lots of snazzy chrome, but it was a brutish, simple machine that could only be expected to last about 75,000 miles before it turned to a rusted heap. The engine was built with un-exacting, simple tools and it relied on gulping huge amounts of leaded gas and pumping out a noxious brew of blue smoke out the tailpipe to get the car to move. There was no air conditioning, heat was an extra cost option, and the venti-pane windows (remember those?) offered the only "climate control" you had. AM radio was an extra cost option, and the flat vinyl bench seats were an ergonomic nightmare. The hard metal dash offered no crash protection, and thousands of Americans were horribly maimed or killed in routine crashes that would now only be considered a fender bender that ruined your day instead of your life. Horrific crashes killed every motorist involved, instead of airbags and computer controlled traction systems causing no more than a few bumps and some dazed drivers in cars that were totalled. Maintenance was a costly and continuous process with tires that only lasted 15,000 miles and batteries and spark plugs that had to be changed every 20,000 miles. The "tune up" was a yearly event, not every 100,000 miles.

The 1950's were great in retrospect (except for the polio and the racial segregation and the women having to stand on scales in the workplace to keep their jobs :D), but to issue blanket statements about entire industries that are so false only shows how spoiled and fat and happy we have all become. The cheapest 10,000 dollar Hyundai you can buy today would be a dream machine of unimagined luxury if it was put on the Cadillac stand at the 1955 auto show. No, the cheap Hyundai has no chrome or big fins, but the ownership experience it offers would be beyond anyones wildest dreams in 1955.

All that said, the Tokyo Disney Resort experience is nearly a perfect 10. When I returned from my first visit there I swore off visits to WDW, and only begrudgingly went to Disneyland simply because I live 20 minutes away. The American or European Disney fan should visit Tokyo Disney Resort with the understanding that it will reset your expectations radically, and any future visits to American parks will make you a little sad as you constantly say "You'd never see that in Tokyo!". :cry:

whylightbulb

I loved your post, but I feel those two examples are way over-simplified at best, and flat out wrong at worst.

Health care, for example; In 1955 Mrs. Smith calls the family doctor who rushes to the home to sit at little Timmy's bedside when he has the flu. The doctors black bag contains all the tools the doctor has, and after a cursory chest thump and look at the tongue, it's "take two aspirin and call me in the morning". Today Mrs. Smith needs to drive to the family doctor at the sleek medical center and he may not remember you until he pulls up the computer file, but then that doctor has access to the most cutting edge technology to scan and test the body and all vital and secondary systems. Does Timmy just have the flu with swollen glands, or might it be early signs of thyroid cancer that the computer files know runs on Mrs. Smith's side of the family? We'll know in 20 minutes when the lab results come back from the organ imaging supercomputer on the fourth floor. I'll take the 2009 version of that health care scenario and skip the two aspirin and tongue depressor version.

Car improvements are even more extreme, but the steady increase in their quality and technology and safety over the last 30 years has been so continual that we now just expect it. Yes, the 1955 Chevrolet had lots of snazzy chrome, but it was a brutish, simple machine that could only be expected to last about 75,000 miles before it turned to a rusted heap. The engine was built with un-exacting, simple tools and it relied on gulping huge amounts of leaded gas and pumping out a noxious brew of blue smoke out the tailpipe to get the car to move. There was no air conditioning, heat was an extra cost option, and the venti-pane windows (remember those?) offered the only "climate control" you had. AM radio was an extra cost option, and the flat vinyl bench seats were an ergonomic nightmare. The hard metal dash offered no crash protection, and thousands of Americans were horribly maimed or killed in routine crashes that would now only be considered a fender bender that ruined your day instead of your life. Horrific crashes killed every motorist involved, instead of airbags and computer controlled traction systems causing no more than a few bumps and some dazed drivers in cars that were totalled. Maintenance was a costly and continuous process with tires that only lasted 15,000 miles and batteries and spark plugs that had to be changed every 20,000 miles. The "tune up" was a yearly event, not every 100,000 miles.

The 1950's were great in retrospect (except for the polio and the racial segregation and the women having to stand on scales in the workplace to keep their jobs :D), but to issue blanket statements about entire industries that are so false only shows how spoiled and fat and happy we have all become. The cheapest 10,000 dollar Hyundai you can buy today would be a dream machine of unimagined luxury if it was put on the Cadillac stand at the 1955 auto show. No, the cheap Hyundai has no chrome or big fins, but the ownership experience it offers would be beyond anyones wildest dreams in 1955.

All that said, the Tokyo Disney Resort experience is nearly a perfect 10. When I returned from my first visit there I swore off visits to WDW, and only begrudgingly went to Disneyland simply because I live 20 minutes away. The American or European Disney fan should visit Tokyo Disney Resort with the understanding that it will reset your expectations radically, and any future visits to American parks will make you a little sad as you constantly say "You'd never see that in Tokyo!". :cry:
I knew when I posted those examples that they would be open to criticism due to the required brevity in explanation. What I was referring to was more the "spirit" of the product and services than the actual features. maybe a better way to state it would be, take the technologies of today and make them available in 1950 and compare. The pride and service offered back then was far superior than what we find today in most cases.

While the medical industry is for more advanced technologically it has gone back to the "stone ages" with respect to accessibility, service and efficiency. I'm sure I don't need to go into an explanation of insurance, government and other beaurocracies that have made going to a hospital a risky affair. It's partially this same mentality that has caused WDWs downward trend. When Eisner brought in his cronies (I remember this happening while I was at WDI) we saw the beginnings of it. They are the same beaurocratic pinheads that are destroying healthcare and many other industries with their "textbook" theories and power hungry attitudes.

Common sense seems to have gone out the window when it comes to exceeding the guest expectations and taking pride in your work. It's now all about numbers and just coming short of the status quo to condition customers to expect less.

WDW1974

What a very thoughtful, rational and passionate response to the constant lowering of quality at WDW ...

It's what I've been ranting about both online and in the real world for over a decade now since the first chinks in the armor really became apparent in LBV.

It's WalMarting and it has taken over every aspect of American life sadly ... from education to health care to retailers to fast food to politics (no matter your feelings on Mr. Bush, watching him today was just plain embarrassing to anyone with a brain)

We've become so happy ... so accustomed to accepting the lowest common denomenator. I feel sad for the kids of today because they aren't going to do nearly as well as their parents if we keep headed toward a country of no middle class, no manufacturing and plenty of service workers.

So you compare how ugly the real world is with WDW, and I understand how some people can be OK with it.

But I can't. Because I've been visiting WDW since 1974. I've been at EPCOT Center and The Park Formerly Known as The Disney-MGM Studios since their respective Day 1s. I do remember when you'd look for on light bulb burned out and either never find one, or if you did it would be jarring. I remember when all attractions didn't operate unless their effects were all operable.

That's why I can still go to WDW and have a good time ... and appreciate the beauty and the amazing design work of various aspects ... but the magic I once felt there? I can't honestly say it's still there ... it's certainly not the same, that's for sure.

I would never tell anyone they shouldn't enjoy WDW.

I just don't want to have to hear people tell me I'm wrong and the place has never been better ... sure it's opinion, but it's also a crock for anyone who was a regular in the resort's first quarter of a century.

RedDeath

What a very thoughtful, rational and passionate response to the constant lowering of quality at WDW ...

It's what I've been ranting about both online and in the real world for over a decade now since the first chinks in the armor really became apparent in LBV.

It's WalMarting and it has taken over every aspect of American life sadly ... from education to health care to retailers to fast food to politics (no matter your feelings on Mr. Bush, watching him today was just plain embarrassing to anyone with a brain)

We've become so happy ... so accustomed to accepting the lowest common denomenator. I feel sad for the kids of today because they aren't going to do nearly as well as their parents if we keep headed toward a country of no middle class, no manufacturing and plenty of service workers.

So you compare how ugly the real world is with WDW, and I understand how some people can be OK with it.

But I can't. Because I've been visiting WDW since 1974. I've been at EPCOT Center and The Park Formerly Known as The Disney-MGM Studios since their respective Day 1s. I do remember when you'd look for on light bulb burned out and either never find one, or if you did it would be jarring. I remember when all attractions didn't operate unless their effects were all operable.

That's why I can still go to WDW and have a good time ... and appreciate the beauty and the amazing design work of various aspects ... but the magic I once felt there? I can't honestly say it's still there ... it's certainly not the same, that's for sure.

I would never tell anyone they shouldn't enjoy WDW.

I just don't want to have to hear people tell me I'm wrong and the place has never been better ... sure it's opinion, but it's also a crock for anyone who was a regular in the resort's first quarter of a century.

I'm not saying your wrong. I may be one of the few people here that actually love your posts. While I read them I can't help but agree with them. I actually find myself nodding to what is being said. But I get this strange guilty feeling that I don't want to visit it anymore cause I'm not gonna have a good time... and really I'd prefer not to feel that way. :brick:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
..But I get this strange guilty feeling that I don't want to visit it anymore cause I'm not gonna have a good time... and really I'd prefer not to feel that way. :brick:
Oh you will. You know my opinion on the way the World is run, but we still have the best time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom