1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Nooooo!!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by 21stamps, Aug 29, 2017.

1. 21stamps

21stamps Well-Known Member Original Poster

Same.

That was very interesting. Thanks for posting! It is becoming mildly frightening. I do not shop at Walmart for some of those reasons. Ever. No matter what toy or item is on "sale". And I'm a republican.lol.. I hate what Walmart has done. Never shopped there, never will.

It makes me very sad that 2 of my favorite stores have now been bought out in the past 2 years. It's the consumers fault. We want everything "cheap" and don't care about the consequences.

I never thought about that before. I just beeline to the areas I want, then get out quickly.lol

I love both Whole Foods and Fresh Market, and have always lived close to both. I still shopped at Publix and now Kroger as well though. There are certain items that I buy at each.. over the past several years the larger chains have carried more organic items which is great. I like getting my fuel points at Kroger, and they often have Horizon milk on sale.

Things like fruit, veggies, olive bar, pre seasoned meat, ready to heat sides- these I will only get from Whole Foods or Fresh Market.

If prices come down a bit it will be great, I just worry about Amazon ruining a great store.

Never, in my entire life, have I met someone who shopped at Whole Foods for "status". That's crazy.

Exactly.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
    MinnieM123 and Souvenir like this.
  2. 21stamps

You've met people who pay more for groceries because of "status"? Not because they like to feed themselves and their family healthy food?

I made all of my own baby food with organic fruits and veggies and armed with baby food recipes. I promise that when I walked into Whole Foods wearing my baby on my chest, hair in a bun, no makeup, and on 1 hour of sleep.. there was nothing "status" about it.Lol

ETA, the Publix in my neighborhood in Florida had valet parking. Even if you didn't valet someone brought your groceries to your car, even if you didn't want them to. The Whole Foods and Fresh Market in my neighborhood did not do either of those things... so wouldn't Publix almost be more fancy and status-like than the other 2?
    (Sidenote- oh how I miss Publix deli sandwiches!)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  3. 21stamps

I'm so confused by this after our conversation in another thread.

I do buy items on Amazon, but I have not put it above local retail stores.. because I don't want to see a continuation of another Walmart.
    I thought I was supposed to be the capitalist heartless jerk and you were worried about people not affording to live.lol

4. Goofyernmost

Goofyernmost Well-Known Member

Status is an internal thing. It's being seen in what are considered the right places. I really doesn't surprise me that never in your life have you met someone who told you they shopped at Whole Foods for "status". It is an implied, if you have to ask, you can't afford it type of thing. But, honestly don't get your knickers in a knot, I was basically tongue in cheek with a slight degree of reality stirred in there.

5. 21stamps

Funny story, just before Hurricane Wilma I went to load up on more water. Went to Publix- all water sold out. Went to Fresh Market- all water sold out. Went to Whole Foods- literally ran to the water aisle, another girl was standing there staring at the giant bottles of Fiji. I could see the dilemma on her face, I shared it. We looked at each other and I said "Neither one of us wants to pay this crazy price for water to potentially brush our teeth and wash our face with. But I need it, are you going to take some?" She said, "This sucks, but yes. I guess it makes sense that Whole Foods was the last place that would have water. You and I aren't the sharpest tools". We laughed and each took 6 of the 12 remaining litres.

I think those stores become the norm if you live in areas that have them, and if you try to live a healthy lifestyle. No one really thinks twice about it. I think "healthy" is more trendy than the store itself... but there are times when the prices stink.. especially when you end up buying water to use besides drinking.lol At the end of the day though both Whole Foods and The Fresh Market had admirable beginnings and company philosophies. I'd rather give my money to them and get the benefit of quality food.
    I don't wish to give more money to Amazon who in my opinion will lesson the quality of Whole Foods eventually.

ajrwdwgirl likes this.
  6. ajrwdwgirl

ajrwdwgirl Well-Known Member

I have known people that have shopped at Whole Foods and other stores because they are sometimes seen as status stores. Whole Foods has a reputation of high prices, whether that is true or not I only have one experience with it (I thought what I purchased was of good value). But I do have a friend that lives near a Whole Foods who has posts on Social Media of not only her shopping there but other stores that are known for higher prices and tends to have bragging types of comments about her brand name clothes and things. And I know that she has put herself in a lot of debt shopping the way she has but she likes the status of people "knowing" she has these things or has gone certain places. I've known people like her my whole life, our high school bully was like this and would make fun of people for not wearing certain clothing brands. There are always status seekers.

And I really don't care if people have certain brands or where they shop. I only really care about what I buy and where I shop. I think the point of my original post was some people see it as a status place, but it is just a store. If people want to shop somewhere it should be because they like the product, see the value of it, and can afford what they buy. If Whole Foods was closer to me and was convenient I would probably shop occasionally there too, but I'm not driving 45 minutes to get groceries when I can drive 15 minutes to a store that has quality stuff. I by all means, wasn't trying to put down people who shop at certain stores.

7. Goofyernmost

Goofyernmost Well-Known Member

And how can you be sure that the stuff they are selling you is any healthier that any other place. Isn't that all based on corporate faith? I don't believe that bottled water means it came from a pristine little spring someplace far removed from civilization, but, others have that image. What is in that water that you are specifically drinking is unknown and only because what is there is not overly harmful, doesn't mean it is clean as a whistle or any better then you draw from any faucet in your home. All myth and no provable fact. It's an image... people think that if it's bottled then it is superior. It may be OK, but, better is pretty subjective. To be fair, it is cleaner then contaminated water. As far as we know!

8. StarWarsGirl

StarWarsGirl Well-Known Member

I love our Wegmans. Mostly because if there is something I cannot find anywhere else, I can find it there. They have so much stuff. Teas, gardening supplies, makeup...

I also spend about double the time there that I would had I just gone to Safeway because it's so HUGE. I'll end up wandering and looking in several different aisles before finding what I wanted, Like, why is the powdered Lipton tea located across the store from the regular bagged teas? It's all tea; it should all be together. That's my logic, anyway.

9. njDizFan

njDizFan Well-Known Member

I can see how this could look duplicitous. I am certainly not for another WalMart. That model is about stripping/fleecing and bullying the products makers to lower their costs or be blackballed from their inventory. And in the long run can jeopardize the local economy. I still want to see Whole Foods keep their fundamental ideals of locally sourced products and giving the option to pay the higher amount if you see value in the higher quality item. But I think by streamlined their costs and giving these grassroots business an opportunity to see large perspective audience that may be a good thing. If more people can eat healthier and more people have the ability to buy organic without crushing their budget, it could move the needle on the world's farming practices. Still less than 10% of farms are organic.

I get it, Amazon has undermined the publishing business. They are killing retail establishments. They house 90% of the countries data! But they do not necessarily horde their cash. They continue to grow their business by innovation, creating jobs and ideas. And heck they make my life easier.

10. 21stamps

You may be surprised at how similar Walmart and Amazon actually are.