Non Disney Related - Hurricane Katrina - New Orleans, LA

wannab@dis

TAC said:
And for decades people wondered what it would be like if WW III actually happened, and there were survivors. Well, life in NO has been reduced to the basic human (or animal if you will) desire or need for survival. Films like "The Day After," "Mad Max," or "Waterworld" etc attempt to show what life would be like without modern conveniences, and how society would become a "have" and "have not" and survival of the fittest. I'm not defending the looters! They do not think rationally, and they are reduced to "I have this and you don't" mentalities. You also have to think about education level, income level, and what they had before, and wished they could have had.

Part of martial law should be that anyone caught looting and not shot, should be automatically sentenced to "community sevice," whereby they are to help clear debris, fill sandbags, repair levees, hand pump out water, etc.

You hit the nail on the head. This thing has brought out the basic nature in the people of NO. The good people are out there helping others, carrying victims, getting word to officials of the invalids. The bad are acting like animals. It's easy for people to put on an act when everything is going fine, but this kind of ordeal brings out their true nature.

I hope they don't put the orders out to shoot looters. Number one, our military and police officers shouldn't be put in that situation to make a decision to kill another American. If increasing the number of military would make it possible, then just round the looters up and stick them somewhere until this is over. Use them for cleanup like you said.

My question of the day... Should NO be rebuilt? I honestly find it hard to believe that they can do this without spending untold Billions. Then this could just happen again. Why not move it to higher ground and reduce the size of the area that has to be protected by levees. There's entire towns in my area that have been moved. They were flooded out and the town was rebuilt away from the rivers/lakes so it wouldn't happen again.

tigsmom

MKCustodial said:
But isn't New Orleans like a historic town?

WAS an historic town, there is very little left that is salvagable.

I agree that if they truly intend to rebuild (and I think they should), that major changes need to be made to insure something like this does not happen again.

pinkrose

wannab@dis said:
Yes, but only very small sections.
There's actually a good bit of History in NO. My best friend is a history teacher and that's what she loves so much about the city.

pinkrose

This was posted on talkweather.com... :(

" missed it while I was gone to church but my daughter just told me they showed on the news where Waveland (elev. 17') was completely destroyed with everyone dead. It joins Bay St. Louis (elev. 25') on the western mouth of St. Louis Bay. She also said the reason no one had heard from the town of Bay St. Louis was because the police station and all the personnel were completely obliterated. Pass Christian (elev. 10') is on the eastern mouth of the bay."

"Mississippi NPR call-ins backup that report Vic... there is reportedly nothing for the police to go through. "

MKCustodial

tigsmom said:
WAS an historic town, there is very little left that is salvagable.

Wow... I always wanted to visit New Orleans... So what wasn't torn down by the winds was dragged by the currents and/or is under water, huh?

Is it a swamp-like area, like Florida?

tigsmom

MKCustodial said:
Wow... I always wanted to visit New Orleans... So what wasn't torn down by the winds was dragged by the currents and/or is under water, huh?

Is it a swamp-like area, like Florida?

About 80% or so of the city is under water. It was built below sea level and shaped like a bowl. Once the levees holding back the water broke there wasn't much anyone could do.

The clean up will take a very very long time. Check out this link & scroll thru the pictures

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/08/31/katrina/

wannab@dis

pinkrose said:
There's actually a good bit of History in NO. My best friend is a history teacher and that's what she loves so much about the city.

Right, what I meant was that "most of the city in sqare footage" is not historical districts. Small sections of the city have lots of history.

MKCustodial

Thanks for the link, Tigsmom. The article mentions the oil problem. I take it that area was the country's source and supplier?

pinkrose

MKCustodial said:
Thanks for the link, Tigsmom. The article mentions the oil problem. I take it that area was the country's source and supplier?
A good number of oil rigs are off of the Al,Ms,La coast.

TAC

The problem is that isn't not just the levees in and around NO. It's the dams and other levees way North of NO that people built and the Army Core of Engineers maintains to keep the Mississsippi River flowing in it's current banks. The river, ala Mother Nature, wants to move the river West, and they are trying to keep that from happening. Hence, the river silt that had been normally deposited for thousands of years was stopped. The Mississippi rose, and then the NO levees were built. NO started to "sink" and now that situation has reared it's ugly head.

Here's a good link: http://users.stlcc.edu/jangert/oldriver/oldriver.html

Look especially at the last drawing on the bottom of the page. THAT is the real problem.

tigsmom said:
About 80% or so of the city is under water. It was built below sea level and shaped like a bowl. Once the levees holding back the water broke there wasn't much anyone could do.

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
TAC said:
The problem is that isn't not just the levees in and around NO. It's the dams and other levees way North of NO that people built and the Army Core of Engineers maintains to keep the Mississsippi River flowing in it's current banks. The river, ala Mother Nature, wants to move the river West, and they are trying to keep that from happening. Hence, the river silt that had been normally deposited for thousands of years was stopped. The Mississippi rose, and then the NO levees were built. NO started to "sink" and now that situation has reared it's ugly head.

Here's a good link: http://users.stlcc.edu/jangert/oldriver/oldriver.html

Look especially at the last drawing on the bottom of the page. THAT is the real problem.

Thanks Tom! That's a really interesting link.

For geeks like me.:lookaroun

tiggerlover1971

My husband talked to family and friends in Louisiana Most of Canal and burbon street was spared according to them the French quarter flea market ( if thats what it was called is gone ) on the other hand Cafe du monde ( the best place for beinets ) is still standing but no power no coffee or beinets for awhile

tigsmom

tiggerlover1971 said:
My husband talked to family and friends in Louisiana Most of Canal and burbon street was spared according to them the French quarter flea market ( if thats what it was called is gone ) on the other hand Cafe du monde ( the best place for beinets ) is still standing but no power no coffee or beinets for awhile

Cheryl! ((HUGS))

Thanks for the update. :wave:

tiggerlover1971

:wave: Madeline , (((hugs)))))) Your welcome I am just glad everyone I know from Louisiana is safe Material things can be rebuilt (cities can be rebuilt ) but lives can not be replaced

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom