Non Disney Related - Hurricane Katrina - New Orleans, LA

sillyspook13

STR8FAN2005 said:
They are making a big deal over a *minor* leak that may or may not have been there already in a building that is over 30 years old. Sure New Orleans is seeing some effects, but it isn't what the media is making it out to be.
:brick:

dandaman

I have relatives in Metarie (across the Miss. from NO, to the south), and they all evacuated to Texas. We know they're all right, but one of my aunts is apparently a little hysterical at this point.

I wouldn't hold out much hope for her house... it was a one-story. I'm watching on CNN, and the homes near Jefferson Parish (2-stories) are completely submerged. :eek:

My prayers go out to all families in the wake of the worst natural disaster in U.S. history.

Erika

dandaman said:
I have relatives in Metarie (across the Miss. from NO, to the south), and they all evacuated to Texas. We know they're all right, but one of my aunts is apparently a little hysterical at this point.

Poor thing- it is all well and fine for us to say "Oh, well, you made it and that is what is important" but I know if I lost my home I would be devastated just the same. I'm sure I'd be in hysterics too.

tiggerlover1971

Thank god you are all safe I have been worried about my Louisiana buddies ( My husbands family is from lake charles and Eunice so we both feel for everyone in Louisiana

sillyspook13

My mom lived in Slidell for a few years as a child. Two years ago, on a road trip to Texas, we made a point to travel through a lot of these places- New Orleans, Gulfport, Biloxi, Mobile- and it's amazing to see what has happened, compared to what it was. :(

A friend of mine from Japan summed up in one word the aftermath of hurricane Charley last year, "Sugoi (unbelievable)!"

On a lighter note, the husband of one of my friends from school is from Lake Charles, Louisiana. Apparently he invited some of his friends to stay with them. According to my friend, "We have a bunch of Cajuns living in our house!" :lol:

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
-So, what’s the deal with all the looting. :veryconfu

OK -- FOOD & WATER I totally understand -- I even admit I would do the same in that type of situation.

Uhhh... but DVD players and Flat screen TV's
-Knock Knock...
-Who's there?... :confused:
-You have no friggin electricity -- why are you stealing electronics? :veryconfu :lol:

And what’s with looting the "Foot Locker" to? I mean... Hi.. there is water everywhere... Do ya really need those new $215 pair of Nike shoes? How about some hip waders? I think those would be a lot more handy right now.

WDWScottieBoy

DMC-12 said:

OK -- FOOD & WATER I totally understand -- I even admit I would do the same in that type of situation.

-Knock Knock...
-You have no friggin electricity -- why are you stealing electronics? :veryconfu :lol:

And what’s with looting the "Foot Locker" to? I mean... Hi.. there is water everywhere... Do ya really need those new $215 pair of Nike shoes? How about some hip waders? I think those would be a lot more handy right now.

I've thought the same things. And then you see idiots robbing/looting liquor stores, gun shops, jewelry shops, etc.

Are they stealing these things just to sell them as soon as they possibly can? I mean, that makes it a bit obvious, and they are going to get caught and pay for it big time.

What's sad, is the prisons are completely full, so the police can't do anything but take the items and get descriptions/info of the people and items.

I can't believe people are doing this. Like you said Jer, I can understand (but don't agree with) people getting essentials such as diapers, water, food, cleaning items, etc.

That goes to show how our society is these days, they're worrying about making some money off of all this.

One news anchor said she was driving down an interstate between Biloxi and NO, or somewhere along there, and she couldn't find gas. She said there were vendors along the road, selling gas for $35 for 5 gallons. That's $7 a gallon. Sure the people need the gas, but why try to make money off a situation like this. I hope those people give the money they make in profit to the Red Cross or other groups so the money goes back into the relief funds.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
tigsmom said:
Martial law has been declared... looters will be shot. :(

Martial law has been declared since yesterday, down there.. and that has not stopped them -- its just chaos down there... its so bad that even the cops are just letting folks walk off with the stuff.

pinkrose

DMC-12 said:
Martial law has been declared since yesterday, down there.. and that has not stopped them -- its just chaos down there... its so bad that even the cops are just letting folks walk off with the stuff.
One news reporter caught (and filmed) and police officer looting.

phichi17

DMC-12 said:

I truely have no issue with those taking what they need to survive: food, water baby items. However, camcorders, TV's and the like are unforgiveable.

I believe the governor of the state of Mississippi directed the law enforcement of that state to be "ruthless" and to "take whatever means necessary" with looters.

I would hate to be the law enforcement officer to make the "shoot, don't shoot decision".

Pongo

I hate to be a downer, but I'm finding SO MUCH of all of this hard to comprehend. Some of it I don't know if I ever will.

One thing, New Orleans as we know (well, knew) it is now nonexistent. I guess the whole city has to be totally rebuilt? I mean, that is a BIG job to take on. Massive. One of the most famous cities in the world and it is totally destroyed.

It's EXTREMELY sad and I've been in a funk all day about it (even though I live in Florida). I have a friend that I met at summer camp this past summer who lives(d?) in New Orleans, possibly along Lake Ponchatrain (sp), and I haven't been able to contact her. My prayers are with EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU that are in New Orleans and Slidell and Biloxi and any other city that was totally devestated by such a truly tragic force of nature.

Probably the farthest thing from everyone's minds, but there probably won't be an official Mardi Gras for a long time. Also, the original inspiration for New Orleans Square at Disneyland isn't there anymore. It's almost as if it is a living testament to what happened, but built years before.

Good Luck to everyone affected. My best wishes to you all.

LSUxStitch

Looters are beginning to get more out of control. There has been one police officer shot in the back of the head, a couple of them stole a mail truck and driving around my city (next to new orleans) shooting random ppl for no reason, two ppl opened fire with AK-47s on the police stopping looting, and some ppl have reported them shooting at the helicopters attempting to save the ppl in the city. To tell you the truth, and excuse my language, but shoot those mother f'ers. This is plain ridiculous. My g/f's mom, who is stuck working at a hospital in New Orleans had her car stolen tonight with everything from bank statements, birth certificates, wedding and photo albums, and social security numbers. This makes me sick.

TAC

And for decades people wondered what it would be like if WW III actually happened, and there were survivors. Well, life in NO has been reduced to the basic human (or animal if you will) desire or need for survival. Films like "The Day After," "Mad Max," or "Waterworld" etc attempt to show what life would be like without modern conveniences, and how society would become a "have" and "have not" and survival of the fittest. I'm not defending the looters! They do not think rationally, and they are reduced to "I have this and you don't" mentalities. You also have to think about education level, income level, and what they had before, and wished they could have had.

Part of martial law should be that anyone caught looting and not shot, should be automatically sentenced to "community sevice," whereby they are to help clear debris, fill sandbags, repair levees, hand pump out water, etc.

DMC-12 said:

-Knock Knock...

Gucci65

Did anyone happen to see what happened in Atlanta yesterday? There were rumours that the gas tanks were bone dry (since the pipeline was inoperable). People were panicing. Lines for gas stations were 30 to 40 mins longs. Gas went from $2.59/gallon for regular unleaded to $3.00 IF you were lucky to find it. I paid $14.95 for 5 gallons of gas. Most gas stations in the area are now OUT of gas.

The Colonial pipeline people announced at 7pm last night that they were back up and running at about 30% - so the panic should subside.

It was crazy. Haven't seen those kinds of gas lines since I was a kid back in the last 70's.

MKCustodial

Well, I just decided to drop in and wish a hearty good luck to all those involved in this tragedy. I knew the situation was bad, but I didn't know how bad it was until this morning. I hear there are lots of dead and violance even inside the Superdome, and that what the TVs are showing may not represet exactly the reality in there. Obviously those in need will not be reading this, but we're all thinking about them and praying for them even down here.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom