No more "Walt" in Disney?

Magenta Panther

Original Poster
I just chatted with a friend of mine who saw the Muppets movie. He said that the name "Walt Disney Pictures" did not appear in front of the castle in the movie's beginning - just "Disney". Also, he said that the same thing happened in front of the trailer for the Pixar movie "Brave".

So...is Walt no longer relevant now to the company he founded? :eek::mad::cry:

I wonder if the same thing's going to happen to the logos for Walt Disney Feature Animation movies?

PeoplemoverTTA

I noticed that before The Muppet Movie as well...I'm sure it's rationalized as "branding," but I personally don't agree with the removal of Walt's name either.

HMF

I saw it and was horrified. This must be what Iger meant when he said he want's to "tone down the sense of tradition since it holds us back."

Scuttle

I've been noticing this as well. I really don't like it and if Walt is taken away from WDW I will be livid as a Walt Disney fan and WDW fan.

HMF

Agree 100%. I hope this isn't going to be the norm company-wide.

You haven't noticed the recent trend in Disney's movie promotional material.
Disney:Tangled, Disney:Winnie the Pooh, Disney:pirates of the Caribbean, Disney: The Muppets.

Magenta Panther

Original Poster
You haven't noticed the recent trend in Disney's movie promotional material.
Disney:Tangled, Disney:Winnie the Pooh, Disney:pirates of the Caribbean, Disney: The Muppets.

Yes, but the movie logo in Tangled still says "Walt Disney Pictures"...

I can't believe or understand the mentality of the suits at Disney who think taking Walt's name off of the movie division is somehow a smart move. I bet the same chumps would LOVE to get rid of the "One Man's Dream" attraction at WDW and put in another gift shop. :mad:

Thumbelina

This makes me sad to hear :cry: I cant believe they would do that! But then again if they do something stupid at lest it wouldn't have Walts name on it.

TP2000

I'm confused. Jim Henson created and owned the Muppets, until it was sold off to Disney about five years ago.

Why would Walt's name be in front of the Muppets movie title? Walt never had anything to do with muppets. And he certainly never had anything to do with muppet movies that were rated PG for "Mild Rude Humor". Walt didn't go in for rude, it wasn't his scene.

Movies that come from Walt Disney's studios in Burbank, namely his feature animation and other family fare, still bear the name Walt Disney Studios. Pixar is 400 miles north of the Walt Disney Studios, up in Emeryville, and it's operated by John Lasseter. Thus, a Pixar movie wouldn't have Walt Disney's name in front of it, as it's not his studio.

There is still a Walt Disney Studios and suitable movies made by that studio bear the title Walt Disney Pictures. For instance, the upcoming movie John Carter that is released in March, 2012 bears the "Walt Disney Pictures" logo that some folks seem to feel is important in its official preview now in theaters. http://disney.go.com/johncarter/?int_cmp=WDSMP_MoviesCat_NewUpcoming_ComingSoon_Intl#video So Walt Disney Pictures still exists, and it's a brand still applied to movies that warrant it.

I know that if I worked for Muppet Studio, I would be kind of peeved to see Walt Disney's name slapped on my movie. The corporate Disney logo, as the company owner and distribution arm, is something different than putting Walt's name on a product and company he didn't own.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I'm confused. Jim Henson created and owned the Muppets, until it was sold off to Disney about five years ago.

Why would Walt's name be in front of the Muppets movie title? Walt never had anything to do with muppets. And he certainly never had anything to do with muppet movies that were rated PG for "Mild Rude Humor". Walt didn't go in for rude, it wasn't his scene.

Movies that come from Walt Disney's studios in Burbank, namely his feature animation and other family fare, still bear the name Walt Disney Studios. Pixar is 400 miles north of the Walt Disney Studios, up in Emeryville, and it's operated by John Lasseter. Thus, a Pixar movie wouldn't have Walt Disney's name in front of it, as it's not his studio.

There is still a Walt Disney Studios and suitable movies made by that studio bear the title Walt Disney Pictures. For instance, the upcoming movie John Carter that is released in March, 2012 bears the "Walt Disney Pictures" logo that some folks seem to feel is important in its official preview now in theaters. http://disney.go.com/johncarter/?int_cmp=WDSMP_MoviesCat_NewUpcoming_ComingSoon_Intl#video So Walt Disney Pictures still exists, and it's a brand still applied to movies that warrant it.

I know that if I worked for Muppet Studio, I would be kind of peeved to see Walt Disney's name slapped on my movie. The corporate Disney logo, as the company owner and distribution arm, is something different than putting Walt's name on a product and company he didn't own.

I just watched the John Carter preview and nowhere did it say Walt Disney Pictures....it just said "Disney John Carter"....twice! :shrug:

It might depend on the studio within the Walt Disney Company that made the film. If it's made by an offshoot, it might not have the same name.

If you look it up on Wikipedia (which I have since I'm watching all 51 canon animated features in order) it gives some detail about the different studios.

G00fyDad

I saw it and was horrified. This must be what Iger meant when he said he want's to "tone down the sense of tradition since it holds us back."

This scares the crap outta me. Does this mean that Iger does not hold the classic attractions up as something to be kept and treasured? Will they soon be removed because they "hold us back"?

Jimmy Thick

Unfortunately Walt, nor any of his family members are relevent to what Disney has become or will become in the future, and phasing the Walt out of Walt Disney Presents is just something that I myself is shocked it took this long to happen.

The name Walt Disney does not sell tickets anymore, but Johnny Depp's does.

Jimmy Thick-Forget the past...Look to the future...

Cmdr_Crimson

I have also noticed this also being used on the more recent DVD releases as well..It's like a brand name. It's sad.
[youtube]hnjQNBKDlh8[/youtube]

twinnstar

I noticed this during The Muppets too. It really bothered me.

But im almost 100% sure it said "Walt Disney" before Tangled. So I'm thinking maybe they are choosing to keep his name only before the feature animations?

Honestly, as much as I hate seeing Walt's name as a "Brand" that might not bother me so much, if that's how it ends up working out. For me, it would make the features seem more "special", like they were put together with love and Walt in mind. Where as the live action films, etc - are just "Disney" (yes, I know Walt made live action films...)

I really don't think they would ever take Walt's name out of Walt Disney World, because the reason they added it in the first place was because of his passing. If they removed it, it would be hugely disrespectful.

As long as this is kept as a special thing for the animated features, i won't mind too much. It bothers me the same when I see his name in front of things I feel like he would never back... :/

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom