Nikon d3100

Matpez

BUMP! (Sorry about that)
I have a D3100 and have begun bringing it to the parks. I haven't got into full fledged productions with it yet, but have tried it out a few places.

The early results:

1st day using it in a park, at MK:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aI7ZdXFCwkM&hd=1

SSE w/ 1.8 aperture lens:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS8RoJ8eEFM&hd=1

Space w/ work lights on from the TTA:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5IarbE0VEk&hd=1

:wave:

So very happy with it's quality, especially at the price point.

WDWFigment

Just picked up a D3100 for my wife. Great little entry level camera that is more than enough for most people. However, I've shot with BOTH it and te D90, and I'd easily take a D90 over it for my own personal use.

To the poster who recommended relying on post over learning fundamentals of exposure: that is idiotic advice.

NowInc

Lots of rumors circling lately about the 5100, which may be worth waiting for if what the rumors are saying are true. I still do think that the D3100 is incredible for its value, but I have heard from many "starting" photographers that they quickly outgrew its limits.

CP_alum08

As is the case with most beginning photographers, I think you are putting far too much emphasis on the body. Putting a good lens on a D3100 will give you far better photos then a cheap lens on a D90, plan and simple. Plus just starting out having too much camera (more buttons, more features, etc.) can be very daunting and actually discouraging.

I think the D3100 is a great place to start. If you stick with photography, yes you will want a new body in a year or 2 but by then you will have practical knowledge and will be better prepared to know what you want.

The 35mm f/1.8 is an awesome, inexpensive lens. The 50mm is nice too but it won't autofocus on the D3100 (if I remember correctly.) Skip the kit lens and just get the 35mm and shoot with that alone for a few months. You'd be surprised how much you can learn about composition when you aren't relying on a zoom lens.

WDWFigment

^Depending on where you look, you can find a D90 body for really close in price to the D3100.

I do agree with your points about it potentially being discouraging, and I know my personal recommendation would be to start with an entry level and upgrade as necessary, but I know some people want to buy one camera, and grow into it (as they don't like the idea of buying something new every year or two). For those people, a D90 is a good camera to consider.

Like I said before, the D3100 is great. I'd highly recommend it to a beginner.

CP_alum08

To the poster who recommended relying on post over learning fundamentals of exposure: that is idiotic advice.

So, so, true! I'm pretty sure him and I have argued on that topic more than once on here. I'm glad someone else appreciates the actual understanding of photography.

*Not to say that photoshop (and others) are not a useful tools, but they are just that; tools. The tools should be used in addition to knowledge, not instead of.

Im also curious what 'depending on where you look' is referring to. Im assuming Ebay?

scgustin

So, so, true! I'm pretty sure him and I have argued on that topic more than once on here. I'm glad someone else appreciates the actual understanding of photography.

*Not to say that photoshop (and others) are not a useful tools, but they are just that; tools. The tools should be used in addition to knowledge, not instead of.

Im also curious what 'depending on where you look' is referring to. Im assuming Ebay?

I had been debating between the D3100 and the D90 for the past week or so... and I actually purchased a D90 on eBay today.

I'm upgrading from a Sony A200, which is a great entry-level camera. However, I wanted to jump on the Nikon bandwagon. I was able to find a lightly-used D90 body with the 18-105 lens on eBay for under $630 (thanks to a timely 10% eBay electronics coupon). It's amazing how far the price has fallen on D90's since the D7000 came out (which is an amazing camera).

I would agree with WDWFigment and CP_alum08 - the D3100 is a great camera for entry-level/beginners. I tried out the D3100 and was shocked by how much I loved the camera. The one option the D3100 lacks is bracketing, and for those interested in HDR, you might want to consider the D90.

NowInc

I had been debating between the D3100 and the D90 for the past week or so... and I actually purchased a D90 on eBay today.

I'm upgrading from a Sony A200, which is a great entry-level camera. However, I wanted to jump on the Nikon bandwagon. I was able to find a lightly-used D90 body with the 18-105 lens on eBay for under $630 (thanks to a timely 10% eBay electronics coupon). It's amazing how far the price has fallen on D90's since the D7000 came out (which is an amazing camera).

I would agree with WDWFigment and CP_alum08 - the D3100 is a great camera for entry-level/beginners. I tried out the D3100 and was shocked by how much I loved the camera. The one option the D3100 lacks is bracketing, and for those interested in HDR, you might want to consider the D90.

The D7000 is basically the replacement model for the D90 (essentially). I would have gotten a D90 myself had it had a better sensor on it (Low light photography is the majority of what I do). Having an internal AF motor was awesome too, but I was able to pick up a D3100 (with the kit lens) for 600 bucks so I felt the price was "on point". I don't regret my decision at all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom