Night Of Joy

fizzle75

Anyone here been to Night Of Joy at the Magic Kingdom? I know it's usually in September I think. I realize it only lasts for one night but is it worth planning our vacation around it? I have known about Night Of Joy for many years now and have always wanted to go since it combines two of my biggest passions...Christian Music and Disney.
Have they announced the date and the artists performing this year yet? What are the crowd levels like during the event? Do many of the artists hang out in the parks and actually ride some of the rides?

sbkline

I understand, as a Christian, what your are saying about Gay Day. Please try to remember that although WDW is billed as a family destination it is ultimately an American Corp. I enjoy it as much as any other Christian but I always remember that although I live in the world I am not of the world.

Ya, I know and I agree. I just couldn't help seeing some humor in the fact that, while a certain number of Christians outright boycott the place because of gay day, there is also a day set aside for their interests as well.

Upvote 0

autigger

Where are the other stages set up in the Magic Kingdom for the performers?
Last year, there was a stage set up near the entrance of "Toon Town Fair" and across (cattycorner) from Winnie the Pooh. I did not attend NOJ, but my family was in the park on the Saturday of the event.

Upvote 0

typhoonguy

I understand, as a Christian, what your are saying about Gay Day. Please try to remember that although WDW is billed as a family destination it is ultimately an American Corp. I enjoy it as much as any other Christian but I always remember that although I live in the world I am not of the world.
Keep in mind Disney does not "Sponsor" gay day. Gay day is an event that is sponsored by an outside group and typhoon lagoon is rented out by that group. If you and your family wanted to rent out Typhoon or any of the parks after hours, you could too. Disney accepts everyone from everywhere with any background.

Upvote 0

fizzle75

Original Poster

Exactly! We are not citizens of this world,we are just pilgrims passing through.:D I could pitch a big fit about Gay Day and boycott Disney like alot of my brothers and sisters in Christ have done over the years but in the end it wouldn't accomplish anything but make me look like one if the religious nutbars on TV(why MUST we Christians ALWAYS be portrayed on film and in the media as either mindless,ignorant,intolerant racists or an axe weilding lunatic serial killer?!?!) and further distance myself from the world I am trying to reach out to with the Gospel. We must concentrate on loving individuals and showing the compassion Jesus showed(while still standing firmly on God's Word)instead of boycotting organizations and distancing ourselves from people who don't believe like we do. I really don't think Jesus would have done that. Instead of focusing on changing the "World" we should focus on loving people and honestly being their friend and try to change the "World"(through Christ of course)one individual at a time. We've got to love each other and get along people,Jesus shed His blood for all of us!

Even though I am very conservative I applaud Disney for being an equal opportunist and allowing a broad spectrum of people to use it's parks for special gatherings. That is one of the MANY things I love about WDW the fact that you have a wide variety of people from many cultures,religions(and any other difference you can think of)coming together to share in their love for Disney and good clean fun and to be a kid again. I just love that peaceful unified feeling around Cinderella's Castle during Wishes and around the lagoon during Illuminations when everyone(for the most part)gets quiet and focuses on the beauty of the presentation and for those few minutes you feel like everyone is on the same page and that you are at some humongous family reunion. My wife and I still cry at Wishes and Illuminations every...single...time.

Oh, by the way,I just read an amazing book called "Blue Like Jazz" by Donald Miller, I can't reccomend it enough. Everybody needs to run out and get it right now! You won't regret it!

Upvote 0

k.hunter30

Exactly! We are not citizens of this world,we are just pilgrims passing through.:D I could pitch a big fit about Gay Day and boycott Disney like alot of my brothers and sisters in Christ have done over the years but in the end it wouldn't accomplish anything but make me look like one if the religious nutbars on TV(why MUST we Christians ALWAYS be portrayed on film and in the media as either mindless,ignorant,intolerant racists or an axe weilding lunatic serial killer?!?!) and further distance myself from the world I am trying to reach out to with the Gospel. We must concentrate on loving individuals and showing the compassion Jesus showed(while still standing firmly on God's Word)instead of boycotting organizations and distancing ourselves from people who don't believe like we do. I really don't think Jesus would have done that. Instead of focusing on changing the "World" we should focus on loving people and honestly being their friend and try to change the "World"(through Christ of course)one individual at a time. We've got to love each other and get along people,Jesus shed His blood for all of us!

Even though I am very conservative I applaud Disney for being an equal opportunist and allowing a broad spectrum of people to use it's parks for special gatherings. That is one of the MANY things I love about WDW the fact that you have a wide variety of people from many cultures,religions(and any other difference you can think of)coming together to share in their love for Disney and good clean fun and to be a kid again. I just love that peaceful inified feeling around Cinderella's Castle during Wishes and around the lagoon during Illuminations when everyone(for the most part)gets quiet and focuses on the beauty of the presentation and for those few minutes you feel like everyone is on the same page and that you are at some humongous family reunion. My wife and I still cry at Wishes and Illuminations every...single...time.!
:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Oh, by the way,I just read an amazing book called "Blue Like Jazz" by Donald Miller, I can't reccomend it enough. Everybody needs to run out and get it right now! You won't regret it!
I liked it... it's one of those "trendy" Christian books in my opinion. Not that that's bad... It's definitely a good read though - great for a new, young Christian especially.

Upvote 0

ErickainPA

frizzle - When I went to NoJ years ago, they had a stage set up in Adventureland and also one in Tomorrowland (CeCe and someone else performeed back there). Steve Curtis got castle stage. Also they used Cosmic Ray's for Rebecca St. James, that was awesome, they used the smoke effect and even projected a cross. You could sit on the floor in there, as the tables and chairs got pushed toward the back.

NoJ has been held since 1983.

This link http://www.allearsnet.com/tp/mk/noj.htm lists the 2005 performances and where they performed, just to give you an idea of where they hold them

Upvote 0

sbkline

Even though I am very conservative I applaud Disney for being an equal opportunist and allowing a broad spectrum of people to use it's parks for special gatherings. That is one of the MANY things I love about WDW the fact that you have a wide variety of people from many cultures,religions(and any other difference you can think of)coming together to share in their love for Disney and good clean fun and to be a kid again. I just love that peaceful inified feeling around Cinderella's Castle during Wishes and around the lagoon during Illuminations when everyone(for the most part)gets quiet and focuses on the beauty of the presentation and for those few minutes you feel like everyone is on the same page and that you are at some humongous family reunion. My wife and I still cry at Wishes and Illuminations every...single...time.

Very well spoken. :wave:

Upvote 0

Frontierland CM

Give it a chance, you might actually enjoy it. It's not all as cheesy as most people think it is and there are some amazing Christian bands out there making music that is much more artistic and relevant than alot of the "junk" you hear on secular radio. Please don't judge the whole by the works of a few. I have been an extremely dedicated fan of Christian music for going on 20 years now and listen almost exclusively to it so while I am one of Christian music's biggest fan's I am also one of it's biggest critics as well. As Christians we believe that Our Heavenly Father is the epitome of Creativity and he made us in His image so naturally we should strive to make the most excellent music possible and strive to constantly take our craft to the next level because God expects(and deserves)nothing less than our best and we represent Him and His creativity. Making sloppy,cheesy music and then calling it Christian really infuriates me.

Having said that...yeah,there's Alot of "cheesy" Christian music that does not represent God well but I have watched it grow into a very viable creative force over the years and am very proud to call myself a fan of Christian Music. There really are some amazing Christian artists out there if you will just listen with an open mind and forget the cheese.

Here here!:sohappy:

Upvote 0

fizzle75

Original Poster
:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

I liked it... it's one of those "trendy" Christian books in my opinion. Not that that's bad... It's definitely a good read though - great for a new, young Christian especially.

Yeah, I know what you mean by "trendy". I have dismissed the book for years for that very reason and I knew Donald Miller was a little more "relaxed" in his Christianity so I had no desire to read it but I found it on sale for like $7.00 or something like that and decided to go ahead and give it a chance and was very pleasantly surprised,so much so that I am anxious to read his other books. While I don't think he is all that "deep" I think he has some great insight into what it means to love Christ and others in a modern world. I really like his writing style and whether you agree with him or not you've gotta love his honesty. He reminds me a little bit of Brennan Manning.

I usually tend to steer clear of "trendy" Christian "self help" books like Your Best Life Now, Wild At Heart, The Purpose Driven Life and the Prayer Of Jabez but this one won me over. I personally really enjoy John MaCarthur and am currently(but ever so slowly)reading The Gospel According To Jesus which,so far, I highly reccomend as well.

By the way, does anyone know if there is a good Christian Bookstore close to WDW?

Upvote 0

MissM

I didn't realize that there was any such thing at Disney. As a Christian, I think that's great. But I also can't help but be amused at the irony that a place that has honked off so many Christians (including myself to a degree) by sponsoring gay day, also has a day where it sponsors Christian interests as well. I guess WDW truly does seek to appeal to people of all persuasions. :ROFLOL:
Disney doesn't sponsor Gay Day. It's a privately planned gathering no different than Brazilian tour groups or large family reunions being planned to be together the same day at the park.

Anyone who gets their panties in a wad over someone's right to go to ANY place, including Disney needs to join the 21st century. EVERYONE is welcomed at Disney no matter their sexual orientation, religion, race, gender, or any other classification. Live and let live people. Christians especially should keep in mind that their own deity preached tolerance and acceptance of all people. (He did, afterall, consider whores, thieves, beggars, and the crippled as his friends and family, remember. Love of they fellow man should be blind to all differences.)

Does Disney have a NoJ for jews and muslims as well as other religions?
Sadly no. While I have no problem with a specific event for Christians, I think if they do that, they should also offer equal opportunities for other groups. It would bring even more diversity to Disney which already has a worldwide appeal and audience. It'd be nice to see them celebrate the billions of people in the world who have other faiths and beliefs and would, I think, help bring more people together. It could be a wonderful opportunity for more cultural awareness and how, for all our differences, we're all still very much the same.

-m

Upvote 0

typhoonguy

Yeah, I know what you mean by "trendy". I have dismissed the book for years for that very reason and I knew Donald Miller was a little more "relaxed" in his Christianity so I had no desire to read it but I found it on sale for like $7.00 or something like that and decided to go ahead and give it a chance and was very pleasantly surprised,so much so that I am anxious to read his other books. While I don't think he is all that "deep" I think he has some great insight into what it means to love Christ and others in a modern world. I really like his writing style and whether you agree with him or not you've gotta love his honesty. He reminds me a little bit of Brennan Manning.

I usually tend to steer clear of "trendy" Christian "self help" books like Your Best Life Now, Wild At Heart, The Purpose Driven Life and the Prayer Of Jabez but this one won me over. I personally really enjoy John MaCarthur and am currently(but ever so slowly)reading The Gospel According To Jesus which,so far, I highly reccomend as well.

By the way, does anyone know if there is a good Christian Bookstore close to WDW?
There's a small one in the WaterTower shopping center in Celebration next to Moes.

Upvote 0

ThumperDude

Disney doesn't sponsor Gay Day. It's a privately planned gathering no different than Brazilian tour groups or large family reunions being planned to be together the same day at the park.

Anyone who gets their panties in a wad over someone's right to go to ANY place, including Disney needs to join the 21st century. EVERYONE is welcomed at Disney no matter their sexual orientation, religion, race, gender, or any other classification. Live and let live people. Christians especially should keep in mind that their own deity preached tolerance and acceptance of all people. (He did, afterall, consider whores, thieves, beggars, and the crippled as his friends and family, remember. Love of they fellow man should be blind to all differences.)

Sadly no. While I have no problem with a specific event for Christians, I think if they do that, they should also offer equal opportunities for other groups. It would bring even more diversity to Disney which already has a worldwide appeal and audience. It'd be nice to see them celebrate the billions of people in the world who have other faiths and beliefs and would, I think, help bring more people together. It could be a wonderful opportunity for more cultural awareness and how, for all our differences, we're all still very much the same.

-m

Very well said.
Unfortunatly,in the past, right wing religious group have pressured Disney not to sponsor events like Gay Day. But with 135,000 participants spending over $1 million, they should reconsider.
Perhaps a Gay Christian Day would work. On the other hand, I'd probally be the only one to show up.

Upvote 0

sbkline

I didn't realize that until it was pointed out in this thread. Thank you. :wave:

quote]

I don't know if you were taking aim at me, or the Disney Boycotters with this, but let me just clarify my position here. I have no problem with gays being welcome at Disney. My problem was in my apparently erroneous perception that Disney went out of their way to embrace the homosexual lifestyle by actively sponsoring this event. And even then, it apparently wasn't THAT big of a problem, because I still love the place and ain't about to boycott it over that.

Upvote 0

fizzle75

Original Poster
I didn't realize that until it was pointed out in this thread. Thank you. :wave:

I don't know if you were taking aim at me, or the Disney Boycotters with this, but let me just clarify my position here. I have no problem with gays being welcome at Disney. My problem was in my apparently erroneous perception that Disney went out of their way to embrace the homosexual lifestyle by actively sponsoring this event. And even then, it apparently wasn't THAT big of a problem, because I still love the place and ain't about to boycott it over that.

btw, I know this is off topic, but I think it has to be said. Jesus did indeed preach love of ALL people, but he also preached about the need for repentance and the need for sinners to CHANGE. He loved and forgave the woman caught in adultery, yet he still disapproved of her behavior and told her to "Go and sin no more". So don't confuse love with acceptance of behavior. Because the same Jesus who taught love of all these people also taught that all these people are going to a Godless Hell for eternity if they don't REPENT. Many people who zero in on Christ's teachings on love and acceptance seem to conveniently ignore or overlook this part of his teachings.

Well said! I totally agree!:wave:

By the way, does anyone know where Walt stood on issues of faith?

Upvote 0

sbkline

Thanks. :wave: However, the thought occured to me today that I seem to have hijaked your thread. It was supposed to be about night of joy, but I seem to have diverted it to homosexuality and Christian doctrine. :lol: So I apologize for that and if anyone else has disagreements with my previous statements, feel free to continue the discussion by PMing me if you wish.

Upvote 0

sbkline

Something tells me that you'll get totally contradictory answers depending on who it is doing the answering. :lol: I had one guy tell me that Walt would never approve of homosexuality, while others will say that Walt would embrace it. Some will say he was a racist, while others say he wasn't. As with all prominent public figures, different factions will swear up and down that he was firmly in their camp, while others who are intent on hating the guy will swear up and down that he was for everything they stand against. :lol:

As for my own personal knowledge, I really don't have any. I don't really know what his opinions were on issues of faith.

Upvote 0

belle0517

In reading, Walt Disney: The Triumph of the American Spirit by Neal Gable, Walt's father was stern and moralistic. Although Walt was very conservative, animation took the place of religion for him. Since adulthood he showed little or no interest in formal religion and never attended church. He was often called anti-semintic. The book goes on at length as to the reason behind this but the author feels that this charge is unwarranted. Walt and Lillian sent their daughter Diane to a catholic school but voiced concern over the possiblity that she would convert to catholism. I think the family's religious affliation was Presbyterian but I cannot remember exactly. There is also some mention that Walt may have been named after the pastor of his parent's church, Walter Parr.

The book is very informative but it is a tough read.

Upvote 0

scan_man

The first time I went to Disneyworld (September 95 I wish I had known about NOJ. The next day after the Concerts They had Amy Grant that year sign her name in Cement at MGM. but other times, I haven't been lucky enough to catch the artists in the parks :((. However, ever year I have gone they have all been AWESOME Concerts.

Upvote 0

Mauimouse

Sorry to be a downer and more or less a first time poster, but I went to NOJ last year, we only lasted about 1 hour in the park. The park was crazy, it wasn't the Magic Kingdom as I know it, they pipe in music from a radio station and it's blaring all over the place. Again it just wasn't the Magic Kingdom that I know and love.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom