Next Castle Park?

Haymarket

thanks. Its hard to find out these stats for some reason sounds like Shanghai is Epcot sized. I’m guess the resort was designed with space for up to three parks and additional facilities (shopping, hotels etc) similar to the original plans for euro Disney
I think that's spot-on. Three parks ultimately.

Haymarket

I hope they'll consider a striking and unique castle for a new castle park. Among the designs they considered for Hong Kong Disneyland's "new" castle was Rapunzel's Corona Castle. I think it looks great.
design-process-img-3.jpg

Robbiem

I think that's spot-on. Three parks ultimately.

its interesting how Disney plan. I’d love to see how they make these type of decisions to plan out a two park resort in hong kong and three park resorts in Shanghai and Paris.

For the Chinese mainland was a single big resort considered against multiple smaller Hong Kong style two park resorts?

Haymarket

its interesting how Disney plan. I’d love to see how they make these type of decisions to plan out a two park resort in hong kong and three park resorts in Shanghai and Paris.

For the Chinese mainland was a single big resort considered against multiple smaller Hong Kong style two park resorts?
I think so: a single big resort for the mainland. However, I can't help but think they'll come to Beijing to compete with Universal's huge new resort there.

Also, I could see it becoming a national prestige issue, where the government pressures Disney to partner on a huge Beijing resort.
berglee-fig10_004.jpg

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Economic feasibility reports. UCF is home to the Buzz Price Archive and has digitized some of his old files which includes a few feasibility studies for different park and attraction projects.
https://stars.library.ucf.edu/buzzprice/

Every heard of Disney's Texposition? The feasibility study is there.

Last edited:

PymParty

Considering the Hong Kong case, one element to take into account is that, despite the current available land being only suited for two theme parks, the resort area is located next to the sea and they already envisioned to possibility of reclaiming land for a Third park to the East of the current resort if the demand would have been here (which is not the case).
Shanghai and Paris are both located in the middle of flat land, meaning they had to be masterplaned with all their possible future expansions in mind.

image_40286.jpg

Haymarket

Any chance of a new castle park outside of East Asia?
I doubt it. It's so much easier to build big in China, and it'll have government funding and regulatory support. South Korea would also welcome a castle park, as it's an issue of having a "prize" that its neighboring countries also have.

Generally, at present, no other region's governments, media, and consumers are as welcoming and supportive of Disney parks.

For a new castle park, I'd bet Beijing or somewhere in South Korea.

Last edited:

fradz

Next TWDC East Asian park will likely be Shanghai2. Dare I even say the next Disney Park will be Shanghai2 (not as confident in that one).
If I would be reading between the lines, I would say there's gonna be a new park in "somewhere in Asia that's not East Asia". And I would conclude that's India ;)

Haymarket

India is very challenging and rather discouraging. Civil society is very strong (mobilized, connected, and vocal) in India. That's great for democracy, but bad for executing large projects. Infrastructure is weak and hard to build due to corruption and lack of skilled labor.

Plus there's the increasing religious and sectarian violence.

I can also see Beijing discouraging Disney from investing in India, and signaling its displeasure at any initial exploration of billion-dollar theme park investments. Maybe some business licenses won't be issued to Disney, or maybe some trademark applications will be denied. Maybe national and/or local tax authorities will need to audit Disney's local affiliates. Or perhaps Beijing will grant Disney fewer of the limited number of "foreign movie slots" in the coming years. And Disney still wants a local Disney Channel and Disney+ over there.

Also, in relation to Jakarta, which someone above mentioned: it's sinking, and the national government and anyone with money is leaving Java for Borneo. That said, when the rainforests are burned and slashed away in Borneo, as the new capital is built and expands, there should be room for a new park.

Oh, how I wish Disney had partnered with Genting/Resorts World and built on Sentosa instead of Universal. Universal started out a bit weak in Singapore, but it's undergoing a massive expansion. We could have had a Disney castle there, instead of Far Far Away's castle.

the-castle-in-universal.jpg

Last edited:

Robbiem

Economic feasibility reports. UCF is home to the Buzz Price Archive and has digitized some of his old files which includes a few feasibility studies for different park and attraction projects.
https://stars.library.ucf.edu/buzzprice/

Every heard of Disney's Texposition? The feasibility study is there.
Thank for the link. Some really interesting stuff for sure just been reading about the plan to build a park on the golden oak ranch in California

Robbiem

Considering the Hong Kong case, one element to take into account is that, despite the current available land being only suited for two theme parks, the resort area is located next to the sea and they already envisioned to possibility of reclaiming land for a Third park to the East of the current resort if the demand would have been here (which is not the case).
Shanghai and Paris are both located in the middle of flat land, meaning they had to be masterplaned with all their possible future expansions in mind.

View attachment 517785
Wow I never knew a phase three was planned for Hong kong, such a shame we may never even get phase two

Robbiem

With things as they are both in the world and in Disney management future resort could be a franchise like tokyo where Disney takes a cut and the owner takes the risk.

This sort of model could work somewhere in the Middle East. Countries like Abu Dhabi and Qatar are building up their tourism industries and have the money to pay for a Disneyland. Like Hong Kong or singapore the area has a lot of stopover tourism between europe and asia/pacific so a smaller resort near an airport like hong kong could work as a short break destination.

South Korea is another country that you could see paying for the bragging rights of having its own resort but might not have the same appeal to Disney as its wider market would be taking business from its other asian parks.

India has to be a long term plan as part if a combined thrust from Disney with star tv, streaming etc and would have as much potential long term as the Shanghai resort as the country develops

Haymarket

With things as they are both in the world and in Disney management future resort could be a franchise like tokyo where Disney takes a cut and the owner takes the risk.

This sort of model could work somewhere in the Middle East. Countries like Abu Dhabi and Qatar are building up their tourism industries and have the money to pay for a Disneyland. Like Hong Kong or singapore the area has a lot of stopover tourism between europe and asia/pacific so a smaller resort near an airport like hong kong could work as a short break destination.

South Korea is another country that you could see paying for the bragging rights of having its own resort but might not have the same appeal to Disney as its wider market would be taking business from its other asian parks.

India has to be a long term plan as part if a combined thrust from Disney with star tv, streaming etc and would have as much potential long term as the Shanghai resort as the country develops
I think this is incredibly spot-on.

If economic pain is sufficiently severe and prolonged for the company's parks division, I can see it becoming more open to deals with countries that are willing to pay to build their own resorts, and of course pay the company licensing fees, etc. like the OLC.

South Korea really is a perfect country for this (in particular because of its neighbors having their own parks), but would initially take a conservative approach as in Tokyo with the OLC, picking and choosing elements from existing parks that have proved very successful (e.g., Space Mountain and the other beloved classic rides), and newer attractions associated with franchises that are big in the country (e.g., Frozen, Toy Story, and Marvel, rather than Star Wars). I wouldn't be surprised if Samsung C&T, which owns and operates Everland, explores such an arrangement with Disney.

I think Disney Korea has been poking around at the idea of some kind of substantial physical presence in the country—a park, or at the very least retail outlets. Last year Disney Korea opened a Pooh-themed cafe, the Hunny House, in a trendy Seoul neighborhood, and it was very popular.

It's in countries where money's come somewhat easier, e.g., through resource extraction, that we'll see the real flights of fancy and grand designs. New park types/concepts/formats, too, possibly: wealthy Middle Eastern countries, like U.A.E., Bahrain, etc. It'll be fascinating. I'm so curious about the yet-unbuilt park concepts that the company has developed that have just been sitting on a shelf, waiting to be built.

Last edited:

the.dreamfinder

India is very challenging and rather discouraging. Civil society is very strong (mobilized, connected, and vocal) in India. That's great for democracy, but bad for executing large projects. Infrastructure is weak and hard to build due to corruption and lack of skilled labor.

Plus there's the increasing religious and sectarian violence.

I can also see Beijing discouraging Disney from investing in India, and signaling its displeasure at any initial exploration of billion-dollar theme park investments. Maybe some business licenses won't be issued to Disney, or maybe some trademark applications will be denied. Maybe national and/or local tax authorities will need to audit Disney's local affiliates. Or perhaps Beijing will grant Disney fewer of the limited number of "foreign movie slots" in the coming years. And Disney still wants a local Disney Channel and Disney+ over there.

Also, in relation to Jakarta, which someone above mentioned: it's sinking, and the national government and anyone with money is leaving Java for Borneo. That said, when the rainforests are burned and slashed away in Borneo, as the new capital is built and expands, there should be room for a new park.

Oh, how I wish Disney had partnered with Genting/Resorts World and built on Sentosa instead of Universal. Universal started out a bit weak in Singapore, but it's undergoing a massive expansion. We could have had a Disney castle there, instead of Far Far Away's castle.

the-castle-in-universal.jpg
Disney looked at building a castle park on the Sentosa property.

Haymarket

Last edited:

LittleMerman

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom