Newsworthy Things That Happened During Your Vacation?

Nick Wilde

I'm from Chattanooga.
The first day of our last trip this July was the day of the shooting at the Naval and Marine recruitment and reserve centers.
We were in the Animal Kingdom and I kept getting texts from my friends and family who work in various government buildings and hospitals and were on lockdown for most of the day. No one really knew what was happening and it felt really terrible to be out of town and unable to do anything.

If we're talking about newsworthy things in the parks, I was on Splash Mountain at the bottom of the lift hill when the rockwork above the load/unload dock started falling apart and nearly hit people. The ride was stopped for about 15 minutes, then we did the drop and exited, noticing that no one else was being loaded on. The ride was closed for the rest of our trip and we didn't find out what happened until later and the safety tarps went up.

mjhjkdfgd13.jpg
Ya know, I wondered why those tarps were put up.

mergatroid

Some guy went mental with a pvc pipe attacking guests and cm's at Epcot the other year just as my wife and I arrived for a pleasant evening meal. Fortunately another guest subdued him but he still managed to injure a few people before then.

4disneylovers

We literally had the MK to ourselves in 2005 when we went in the eye of the hurricane. We were at Crocketts Tavern which was a restaurant at the time and the waiter told us to not panic but eat and get back to our room. As we left they were tying the lights to their posts and boarding windows.
The next day we were stuck so we went to MK and it was empty.

4disneylovers

We literally had the MK to ourselves in 2005 when we went in the eye of the hurricane. We were at Crocketts Tavern which was a restaurant at the time and the waiter told us to not panic but eat and get back to our room. As we left they were tying the lights to their posts and boarding windows.
The next day we were stuck so we went to MK and it was empty.

Phineas

When we were there in 1998-we had a tornado back home, for really the first time that anyone can remember, and nothing even close has happened since. Houses right next to and across the street from my uncle were completely destroyed. His was totally fine. We lived far enough away where the worst we had were fallen branches and whatnot.

Also, for my very first trip in 1993-I was in Kindergarten, and during the Electric Parade, or after (I was 5-forgive me here), it was announced that Princess Diana was in the park, right at the train station above Main Street. I remember wild cheering and being blinded by camera flashes. I knew she must be really important to prompt that response.

Matt_Black

Also, for my very first trip in 1993-I was in Kindergarten, and during the Electric Parade, or after (I was 5-forgive me here), it was announced that Princess Diana was in the park, right at the train station above Main Street. I remember wild cheering and being blinded by camera flashes. I knew she must be really important to prompt that response.

I was there the same time! I kept keeping an eye out for her and the princes, but never saw her.

saibasabu

It's funny that people have mentioned the 1996 Olympic Bombings and Michael Jackson's death. I was present at the Olympic Park that night and I was outside the hospital at UCLA when Michael was declared dead.

Anyways, I was in Disney during the Waco Siege, when that dock cleat was pulled from it's confines and killed someone by striking them in the head, when the Seven Dwarves Mine Train caught fire (we finished riding literally moments before Wishes), and 9/11. My parents recall the days after 9/11 as being eerie in the parks because it was dead empty. At Garden Grill, Chip n Dale were writing on a notepad to my parents explaining that no one is staying busy around the parks. But as a ten year old, I loved no lines and never having to get off Splash Mountain once it was over. I rode seven or eight times before I finally got out of my seat.

LdyApxr

Oh something unusual but only to my family was in 2012 we were in DLR when my sister texted me that our little brother had let her know that he was going to be a father(for the 6th time! OMG!) and that the baby was "due any day". Since the last I knew, he and his wife were separated but apparently they had reconciled(I don't see my little brother much even though I raised him after our parents passed when he was 13) and then the next morning I got a text from my sister that we had a new nephew who had been born that morning. I guess "any day" was an understatement. LOL

jengrey

Pan Am flight 103 was bombed during our family's first trip there. I remember being in the hotel and watching the news about it on TV.

Lynn Stephens

Back in 2004 I went on my first cruise, the Disney Wonder. A second hurricane was coming, Wilma I think, and we felt like we were the only car headed towards Port Canaveral. Everyone else was fleeing and we were headed in determined to take that cruise. We could see damage cause by the previous hurricane and big steel highway signs twisted like a pretzel. Hurricanes are no joke. Well, the day we boarded the Wonder, Castaway Cay got hit and our itinerary was changed to Charleston South Carolina. We were both sad that we couldn't see Castaway Cay but made the best of our day in Charleston and had a great time anyway.

I finally made it to Castaway Cay in 2014 on the Dream, better late than never.

popcenturylover

We were there June 2009 & our older kids were teens. They had been out & about exploring on their own. They came back & said; Michael Jackson died! My husband & I said; No way! So we turned on the TV & of course it was all over the news.

Andy_0410

On my first trip to WDW as an adult we were boarding the plane to leave and some people were talking about how they had seen a report about someone dying. It wasn't until we landed in the UK 8 hours later we discovered it to be Michael Jackson

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom