Newbie Dining Plan question

JChoma

Original Poster
We have the free dining plan for the first five days of our trip this Fall, because we're splitting our stay. (Last 2 nights of our trip, we'll be at CSR). We are checking in on a Sunday and checking out on Friday, so there are 5 table service credits to use but 6 table service meals we'd like to have, since our first one will be on Sunday evening. My question is, can we choose which table service meal we pay out of pocket for? Obviously I would like the pricier meals to be covered by the plan. For example, if we do breakfast at Boma on Thursday and Teppan Edo on Friday, can we pay out of pocket for the Boma meal (since it's cheaper) and cover Teppan Edo on the plan?

Weather_Lady

Look at menus and price it out - or use the tools at distripplanner.com to see what the estimated cost of each meal will be. (Just put in your information and restaurants, and then click the sideways carat to expand the information under "Using The Disney Dining Plan" below - it will list each meal, and the expected cost, and make recommendations about which meals to charge to the DDP and which ones to purchase out of pocket. It will also take into account which meals cost 2 credits on the DDP.)

As far as choosing which meals to pay for with the DDP, you are free to choose how to pay for meals during the time you have the DDP (you can opt to pay for some out of pocket if you wish). Note that your remaining DDP credits will expire at the end of the night on your check-out day (the day you check out of the hotel that has the reservation to which your DDP is linked - so if you're staying at one hotel with the DDP and then switching to another on Friday, you have to use your DDP credits by the end of the day on Friday or you'll lose them).

JChoma

Original Poster
Look at menus and price it out - or use the tools at distripplanner.com to see what the estimated cost of each meal will be. (Just put in your information and restaurants, and then click the sideways carat to expand the information under "Using The Disney Dining Plan" below - it will list each meal, and the expected cost, and make recommendations about which meals to charge to the DDP and which ones to purchase out of pocket. It will also take into account which meals cost 2 credits on the DDP.)
Thanks for the tip! I know that Boma breakfast will be our least expensive TS for sure. Other TS reservations are Ohana, 1900 park fare, Skipper Canteen, Teppan Edo & Tusker House. Each is 1 credit. Can I choose to pay out of pocket for Boma?

Weather_Lady

Thanks for the tip! I know that Boma breakfast will be our least expensive TS for sure. Other TS reservations are Ohana, 1900 park fare, Skipper Canteen, Teppan Edo & Tusker House. Each is 1 credit. Can I choose to pay out of pocket for Boma?

Absolutely. Your server at each meal will ask how you want to pay -- you can pay with the DDP, or not, as you choose.

danyoung56

The server always asks if you're on the dining plan. On the meal that you want to pay out of pocket, just say no, you're not on the plan.

Minnie1986

I had the same question, as I will be using the DDP for the first time this year as well. When I called Disney (and as others have said), you can pick and choose what meals to pay for. They always ask if you are on the DDP before you order so much as a beverage. So for me, I have TS reservations at Chef Mickey, 'Ohana, Grand Floridian Cafe, Sci Fi Dine In, Be Our Guest, Via Napoli and I'm hoping to snag a Tiffin ROL package. Since I will end up doing more than one TS on some days, the less expensive meal will be paid for out of pocket. Hope that helps!

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Can I choose to pay out of pocket for Boma?

I had the same question, as I will be using the DDP for the first time this year as well. When I called Disney (and as others have said), you can pick and choose what meals to pay.
What exactly is the question here? The meal costs a certain amount of money. If the waiter gave you your bill and you gave him the certain amount of money, under what hypothetical circumstances would he not accept it as a form of payment?

Weather_Lady

What exactly is the question here? The meal costs a certain amount of money. If the waiter gave you your bill and you gave him the certain amount of money, under what hypothetical circumstances would he not accept it as a form of payment?

I think the OP was wondering whether, if you are on the DDP, you have to use DDP credits to pay for your meals until they're gone -- or whether you can decide on a case-by-case basis whether to save your DDP credits for a different meal. I don't think it's an unreasonable question for someone who hasn't used the DDP before.

danyoung56

The question is am I as a DDP user allowed to pay out of pocket instead of using a DDP credit? And the answer is of course you are. This also lets you do a signature restaurant, which takes 2 credits, and then pay out of pocket the next night.

CaptainAmerica

I think the OP was wondering whether, if you are on the DDP, you have to use DDP credits to pay for your meals until they're gone -- or whether you can decide on a case-by-case basis whether to save your DDP credits for a different meal. I don't think it's an unreasonable question for someone who hasn't used the DDP before.
But how would the waiter even know that you're on the DDP unless you tell him? Leave your MagicBand in your pocket and you could be any rando person from Kissimmee out for a meal with your family.

It's like asking "I bought a gift card last week and I want to buy a t-shirt from the Emporium. Do I have to use the gift card to pay for the t-shirt or can I use cash?" Of course you can use cash, just hand the cast member the cash.

The question is am I as a DDP user allowed to pay out of pocket instead of using a DDP credit? And the answer is of course you are. This also lets you do a signature restaurant, which takes 2 credits, and then pay out of pocket the next night.
I understand what the answer to the question is, I'm confused at how it was a question in the first place. There's no flashing neon sign above your head that says "THIS GUY BOUGHT THE DINING PLAN! DON'T LET HIM BUY ANYTHING!"

A meal is a transaction. You sit down, order, eat, and you're presented with a bill. You're then asked for a form of payment. If you don't want to use the dining plan as your form of payment, don't present it as your form of payment. I just don't know what the OP could possibly think Disney would do to force you to use a certain type of payment against your will.

Weather_Lady

If I was a newbie and didn't know the Disney system, I would think that Disney could very easily have computer information on you, and would see information about your DDP status along with your ADR. So the question was competely valid.

Exactly. Even if you don't present your MagicBand, if you made your ADR through your MDE account, Disney "knows" you're on the DDP (just like it "knows" the ages of my children, in order to charge the right amount for them at buffets), and could require you, if it wanted, to use the DDP if you had any remaining credits. While such a rule might be silly (like how my 10-year-old sons buffet meals will cost me twice that of his 9-year-old sister's), the OP's question wasn't out of bounds -- they just want to play by the rules, and would like to be sure what the rules are, first.

JChoma

Original Poster
If I was a newbie and didn't know the Disney system, I would think that Disney could very easily have computer information on you, and would see information about your DDP status along with your ADR. So the question was competely valid
Exactly. Even if you don't present your MagicBand, if you made your ADR through your MDE account, Disney "knows" you're on the DDP (just like it "knows" the ages of my children, in order to charge the right amount for them at buffets), and could require you, if it wanted, to use the DDP if you had any remaining credits.
Yes, this is what I was wondering. I realize my question might have been silly to those who know the system, but this is my first go-round with the dining plan, so I truly appreciate the helpful responses! I don't know how I'd ever plan a trip without this board! :)

Minnie1986

If I was a newbie and didn't know the Disney system, I would think that Disney could very easily have computer information on you, and would see information about your DDP status along with your ADR. So the question was competely valid.
This is my first time using the DDP and I had the same question. How could they have known?

danyoung56

Well, since your dining reservation was logged on your My Disney Experience account, and since that same account is where info is kept on your DDP and how many credits you have, it's feasible that your waiter could know without you telling them if you're on the DDP or not. Don't worry - it doesn't work that way. The waiter ALWAYS asks if you're on any dining plan. If you say no, then they just bring you a bill, which you can charge to your room or to a credit card (or even pay cash!).

nickys

Premium Member
I was just going to add that even if you want to pay oop, you can still use your band to do so. You don't actually have to use a card or cash.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom