New Wizarding World of Harry Potter Open Brainstorming (Uniting Universal Round One)

Princess Leia

2 ideas-

I think that the Forbidden Forest should get 2 attractions (to replace the two coasters): one being a more intense ride with the scarier parts of the forest (spiders, Voldemort, werewolves, whatever Hagrid has determined is safe...) and one being a walk through attraction where you see various creatures like centaurs, unicorns, and thestrals (could be a cool effect).

Secondly, is there enough space in the London area for an expansion? Technically, the Ministry of Magic is London, but not Diagon Alley. Thematically, it would be better to put it on the outskirts of the London area now if possible. You enter the area through a phone booth (though it might have to be a particularly large phone booth) or through a 'floo powder' system (again, more effects needed).

Suchomimus

2 ideas-

I think that the Forbidden Forest should get 2 attractions (to replace the two coasters): one being a more intense ride with the scarier parts of the forest (spiders, Voldemort, werewolves, whatever Hagrid has determined is safe...) and one being a walk through attraction where you see various creatures like centaurs, unicorns, and thestrals (could be a cool effect).

Secondly, is there enough space in the London area for an expansion? Technically, the Ministry of Magic is London, but not Diagon Alley. Thematically, it would be better to put it on the outskirts of the London area now if possible. You enter the area through a phone booth (though it might have to be a particularly large phone booth) or through a 'floo powder' system (again, more effects needed).
Well first of all, we're doing an original zone for Universal Studios Australia (or at least, I think that's what we're doing). And secondly, to answer your question on expansion area for London, I believe so if the Fear Factor Live Pavilion would be demolished.

spacemt354

Chili's
*Note this is just a rough outline

Since I really don't have a solid background on Don Bluth aside from watching The Land Before Time as a kid, and Universal Monsters I'm even more unfamiliar with, I decided to try and finish this project because I really liked the direction it was going in.

Where we left off was @Jtuck suggesting possibly having Hogwarts be a 'hotel' at the front of the park, similar to the Disneyland Paris hotel at the front of its park. This could work really well because you could really explore Hogwarts castle, and seriously who wouldn't want to stay in one of the Houses and explore Hogwarts?

Taking that as inspiration - here's what I've come up with which can be expanded upon/edited by anyone/everyone if you have other suggestions.

In Universal Orlando, there's boat transportation that takes you in-between the two parks and resorts. Since Hogwarts actually has a boat dock, I think that would be a neat way to incorporate something different other than a repeat of the Hogwarts Express. It also allows us to replicate the scene from the 1st film where you approach Hogwarts and the awesome John Williams music swells :geek:

The music gives a sense of 'adventure' to me as well, which not only sets the mood for Hogwarts, but also for Islands of Adventure as a whole.

So now we are at the castle boat dock and we walk into the mountain side

If you're not stay at Hogwarts and are going into Islands of Adventure, there is a separate door and entry-way as well as security check, information, etc. However, if you are staying at Hogwarts and checking in - you'll see the entrance-way for that.

If anyone has been to the Contemporary Resort - you'll get what I'm talking about here - but as you walk in on the "1st" floor" of the mountain side, there is the Hogwarts 'check-in' desk, similar to as in the Contemporary, the check in desk is on the 1st floor, but many of the amenities are on the Grand Canyon Concourse on the 4th floor and above.

The Contemporary would be the best comparison to Hogwarts Castle.
-----------

Now you're checked in -- and given a Marauder's Map, showing all the locations throughout the resort. You're also assigned your House by the Sorting Hat at the front desk.

You then take the moving staircases up to your rooms
f7ee40c961d5a8057be60c325e3d739c.jpg

The moving staircases are escalators designed to look like the stairs from the film, and while your stairs don't actually move, there are staircases above where you exit that do move to make the whole experience feel realistic. For handicap accessibility, there are Flu Powder elevators that are designed like fireplaces and send you to your destination.

Then you are go to your rooms, either Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, or Slytherin.

Similar to the Contemporary, there are towers up to 14 floors in height for a grand total of 934 rooms (an anagram of pg 394) including 'castle suits' such as Dumbledore's Quarters, and other rooms named after Hogwarts Professors that can sleep up to 12 guests.

Dining
-The Great Hall is a large scale Breakfast and Dinner Buffet - but similar to Ohana at Disney's Polynesian Resort - it is a buffet, but hosts and hostesses bring you the food, rather than having everyone get up and ruining the illusion of the Great Hall.
- There's also a food court in the main quad near the Hufflepuff/Ravenclaw Common Rooms.
- A small tea room is located near Professor Sprout's Greenhouse.
- Each common room has room-service options as well.
- In addition, while technically in-park food - Hagrid's Hut is a quick service venue and the Quidditch Pitch has a marketplace as well categorized as quick service.

Amenities
- The Room of Requirement is a recreational facility with a sprawling workout facility, spa, and health club, and the resort's main pool. The 5th Floor Prefects Bathroom is a indoor quiet pool. Similar to Disney's Grand Floridian in the main lobby - there are a variety of shops (Harry Potter themed) around the main lobby concourse, for instance
- The Greenhouse - plants and flowers from Professor Sprout
- Potions - perfumes, and other concoctions from Professor Snape
- Transfiguation - antique spot
- Charms - jewelry and other delicacies.

*A note that if you purchase a 'wand' or have a wand from another Harry Potter venue in Universal Japan, Orlando, or Hollywood - the wand will interact with all of these environments in Hogwarts. If you walk into the Potions class, you'll be able to go up to certain locations and mix potions, perform spells, and much more.

Special Locations
- The Chamber of Secrets - particularly open during Halloween Horror Nights, the Chamber of Secrets comes alive with a large basilik animatronic that you have to use the sword of Gryffindor to defend against.
- Dumbledore's Office - here you can interact with the Pensive, which is a vacation photo pick-up spot (looking into the past) and Fawks (an animatronic in the resort) that will mysteriously turn to ashes and then rise from the ashes at certain points during the day.
- The 3rd Floor - be warned there may be a 3 headed dog
- The Library - a full-fledged library which doubles as a conference center.

Holiday Overlays
- Halloween and Christmas decorations abound. Can tie in with Halloween Horror Nights including Dementors, Trolls, tons of stuff.
------------------

While there can be definitely more detail added to the resort as a whole, those are just some bullet points I had for it.

Now to the actual theme park - as you exit the castle you are now in Island's of Adventure, and can travel to two distinct areas for attractions in the "Hogwarts Grounds" section of the park.

First is to the Quidditch Pitch for an immersive flying roller coaster experience. Second is to the Dark Forest for a flying car spinner attraction on the Whomping Willow, as well as an interactive walk-through in the Dark Forest, with spiders and culminating in the Shrieking Shack

20170622_043517.jpg

For the top left map of Hogwarts and the Hogwarts Grounds
1 - Lobby (Floor 1)
2 - Great Hall (Floor 4)
3 - Moving Staircases (Floors 1-4)
4 - Gryffindor (Floors 4-14)
5 - Slytherin (Floors 4-14)
6 - Chamber of Secrets (basement)
7 - Dumbledore's Office (4th floor)
8 - Hufflepuff (Floors 4-11)
9 - Ravenclaw (Floors 4-11)
10 - Room of Requirement (Floors 2-4)
11 - Greenhouse (Floor 4)
12 - Potions (Floor 4)
13 - Transfiguation (Floor 4)
14 - Hagrid's Hut (Hogwarts Grounds)
15 - Quidditch Pitch
16 - Dark Forest

Let me know what you think!

Disney Dad 3000

Since I really don't have a solid background on Don Bluth aside from watching The Land Before Time as a kid, and Universal Monsters I'm even more unfamiliar with, I decided to try and finish this project because I really liked the direction it was going in.

Where we left off was @Jtuck suggesting possibly having Hogwarts be a 'hotel' at the front of the park, similar to the Disneyland Paris hotel at the front of its park. This could work really well because you could really explore Hogwarts castle, and seriously who wouldn't want to stay in one of the Houses and explore Hogwarts?

Taking that as inspiration - here's what I've come up with which can be expanded upon/edited by anyone/everyone if you have other suggestions.

In Universal Orlando, there's boat transportation that takes you in-between the two parks and resorts. Since Hogwarts actually has a boat dock, I think that would be a neat way to incorporate something different other than a repeat of the Hogwarts Express. It also allows us to replicate the scene from the 1st film where you approach Hogwarts and the awesome John Williams music swells :geek:

The music gives a sense of 'adventure' to me as well, which not only sets the mood for Hogwarts, but also for Islands of Adventure as a whole.

If you're not stay at Hogwarts and are going into Islands of Adventure, there is a separate door and entry-way as well as security check, information, etc. However, if you are staying at Hogwarts and checking in - you'll see the entrance-way for that.

If anyone has been to the Contemporary Resort - you'll get what I'm talking about here - but as you walk in on the "1st" floor" of the mountain side, there is the Hogwarts 'check-in' desk, similar to as in the Contemporary, the check in desk is on the 1st floor, but many of the amenities are on the Grand Canyon Concourse on the 4th floor and above.

-----------

Now you're checked in -- and given a Marauder's Map, showing all the locations throughout the resort. You're also assigned your House by the Sorting Hat at the front desk.

The moving staircases are escalators designed to look like the stairs from the film, and while your stairs don't actually move, there are staircases above where you exit that do move to make the whole experience feel realistic. For handicap accessibility, there are Flu Powder elevators that are designed like fireplaces and send you to your destination.

Then you are go to your rooms, either Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, or Slytherin.

Similar to the Contemporary, there are towers up to 14 floors in height for a grand total of 934 rooms (an anagram of pg 394) including 'castle suits' such as Dumbledore's Quarters, and other rooms named after Hogwarts Professors that can sleep up to 12 guests.

Dining
-The Great Hall is a large scale Breakfast and Dinner Buffet - but similar to Ohana at Disney's Polynesian Resort - it is a buffet, but hosts and hostesses bring you the food, rather than having everyone get up and ruining the illusion of the Great Hall.
- There's also a food court in the main quad near the Hufflepuff/Ravenclaw Common Rooms.
- In addition, while technically in-park food - Hagrid's Hut is a quick service venue and the Quidditch Pitch has a marketplace as well categorized as quick service.

Amenities
- The Room of Requirement is a recreational facility with a sprawling workout facility, spa, and health club, and the resort's main pool. The 5th Floor Prefects Bathroom is a indoor quiet pool. Similar to Disney's Grand Floridian in the main lobby - there are a variety of shops (Harry Potter themed) around the main lobby concourse, for instance

*A note that if you purchase a 'wand' or have a wand from another Harry Potter venue in Universal Japan, Orlando, or Hollywood - the wand will interact with all of these environments in Hogwarts. If you walk into the Potions class, you'll be able to go up to certain locations and mix potions, perform spells, and much more.

Special Locations
- The Chamber of Secrets - particularly open during Halloween Horror Nights, the Chamber of Secrets comes alive with a large basilik animatronic that you have to use the sword of Gryffindor to defend against.
- Dumbledore's Office - here you can interact with the Pensive, which is a vacation photo pick-up spot (looking into the past) and Fawks (an animatronic in the resort) that will mysteriously turn to ashes and then rise from the ashes at certain points during the day.

Holiday Overlays
- Halloween and Christmas decorations abound. Can tie in with Halloween Horror Nights including Dementors, Trolls, tons of stuff.
------------------

While there can be definitely more detail added to the resort as a whole, those are just some bullet points I had for it.

Now to the actual theme park - as you exit the castle you are now in Island's of Adventure, and can travel to two distinct areas for attractions in the "Hogwarts Grounds" section of the park.

First is to the Quidditch Pitch for an immersive flying roller coaster experience. Second is to the Dark Forest for a flying car spinner attraction on the Whomping Willow, as well as an interactive walk-through in the Dark Forest, with spiders and culminating in the Shrieking Shack

20170622_043517.jpg

1 - Lobby (Floor 1)
2 - Great Hall (Floor 4)
12 - Potions (Floor 4)
15 - Quidditch Pitch
16 - Dark Forest

Very cool. I liked HP but am by no means a Potterhead. I'd stay there though.
The great Hall I think could be a true signature dining experience. Opportunity for some really great background/ceiling visuals like BOG but maybe plus it up a little. Maybe recreate the sorting hat experience or throw in an occasional live action Hogwarts event like some kind of beast escaping during the meal with some minor sound/visual effects in cast only areas, etc.
They may already do this, but could the wands be linked to your room like MB? Woukd ve really cool if you waved your wand at your room and the door unlocked and opened.

Do Potter heads need a gym? ;)

spacemt354

Chili's
Very cool. I liked HP but am by no means a Potterhead. I'd stay there though.
The great Hall I think could be a true signature dining experience. Opportunity for some really great background/ceiling visuals like BOG but maybe plus it up a little. Maybe recreate the sorting hat experience or throw in an occasional live action Hogwarts event like some kind of beast escaping during the meal with some minor sound/visual effects in cast only areas, etc.
They may already do this, but could the wands be linked to your room like MB? Woukd ve really cool if you waved your wand at your room and the door unlocked and opened.

Do Potter heads need a gym? ;)
Ah that's a great idea with the wands opening the door to your room! It taps and opens.

And I agree there could be a ton of live experiences, especially in the Great Hall, throughout the feast, it could even be a character dinner where Professors and Nearly Headless Nick walk around and greet you the 'students'

Maybe even a game room with chess instead of a gym? Lol - that is a good point.

StevenU

-----------

Dining

Amenities

Special Locations

Holiday Overlays
------------------

20170622_043517.jpg

1 - Lobby (Floor 1)
2 - Great Hall (Floor 4)
12 - Potions (Floor 4)
15 - Quidditch Pitch
16 - Dark Forest

Great job!:happy:

kmbmw777

-----------

Dining

Amenities

Special Locations

Holiday Overlays
------------------

20170622_043517.jpg

1 - Lobby (Floor 1)
2 - Great Hall (Floor 4)
12 - Potions (Floor 4)
15 - Quidditch Pitch
16 - Dark Forest

Amazing. Amazing. Amazing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom