New theme park or updating the current ones?

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Too many parks have the name "Adventure" in them. "Animal Kingdom" still makes sense as long as the attractions continue to fit the theme of the park: animals - existing, extinct, or imagined, and conservation. The lands of DAK are there to paint a realistic picture of the locations those animals can be found.

DAK may have been rushed, but it is nothing like Islands of Adventure. IOA is more like Universal's version of a Magic Kingdom park - themed lands that aren't thematically connected. DAK has a unified theme.

True true.. o-o

RayTheFirefly

Would you like to see a new theme park in the future or just new attractions and lands in the current parks? Not to say that a new park will happen but the idea of something completely new is nice as well. Thoughts?

I would like to see state-of-the-art additions and renovations to the existing parks. I'm really excited for all the developments at DAK, but I'd LOVE to see some really cool technology related attractions at FW in Epcot, and some top-of-the-line new thrill rides at HS. It's time for these things to happen, IMO. They could make both of them incredible if they shell out the $$$.

RayTheFirefly

I always thought Animal Kingdom was Disney's rushed version of Islands of Adventure...

Same with Hollywood studios being a rushed version of Universal Studios. Although AK isn't bad at all, I agree with you that it does seem they're making it more of an adventure theme park now.

What's with all the DAK hate? Haha. I think it's the most beautiful park, IMO. It may not have a lot of attractions, but it will soon, and IMO the themeing is top-notch (with the exception of maybe Dinoland).

FutureCEO

Disney really doesn't need a new park. After all, what would be the theme? I really have no idea about Tomorrowland. Marvel can go to MGM. Star Wars can go to MGM. The current Tomorrowland can go to MGM (PIxar Place). Epcot gets a new fireworks show and a few rides especially in World Showcase including Doctor Who with the BBC). AK gets Beastly Kingdom, Night show and Genocide (Avatar) land.

everyone is happy. attendance flys past the 11 million mark for each park. current park tickets go down to 90 per day encouraging more people to come.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
What's with all the DAK hate? Haha. I think it's the most beautiful park, IMO. It may not have a lot of attractions, but it will soon, and IMO the themeing is top-notch (with the exception of maybe Dinoland).

I'm not hating on AK. I'm just agreeing that they're making it more of "discovery kingdom" now rather than "animal kingdom" with this Avatar expansion. Heck, this concept would make more sense in adventureland at MK or even if they made it in the WoL pavilion at EPCOT..

...WHOA :eek: Why the HECK wasn't the dome for WoL painted blue and the entire land was inside that pavilion! That would have been great!! I mean, I know they couldn't do everything we're expecting them to do with an entire outdoor land, but come on.. It's Disney World. They're gonna take shortcuts. Shoulda put avatarland in the WoL pavilion at Epcot. Just saying.. yah know.. make it look like a night-time outdoors area.. kinda like the mexico pavilion..

WDWoptmist

Absolutely take care of the 4 parks you have before you expand to 5...Disney is all about quality and if you cant keep up 4 quite as well as you would like than how can you keep up 5? No brainer there I think

I could see Disney putting in a new park before they fixed all their problems, merely for guests needing to stay an extra day to experience that park. However, I believe they should update FW, (those rides just do not cut it for me... I mean, I like Soarin'... but even that could use some updating.) WS is fine, imo. I think they could definitely add a few more countries to enhance the experience... I've always brainstormed Greece and Egypt. But, of course with money and no sponsorship that won't happen. As for HS, it's a hot mess, imo. I only go there to ride TSMM, Star Tours, and ToT. RnR isn't as much of a thrill as I thought it was when I was younger. I like the shopping in HS, and some of the shows. I think there could be so much more to HS. Definitely a half day park. They could really showcase some of their popular movies or just more pop culture in general. I'm glad AIE is leaving, I have always HATED it. I think AK is a great park as is- I could spend days there... I hate how some people choose it to be a half day park. I love AK and I'm super stoked for Harambe nights! As for MK, I think most problems have been addressed. The only thing I would add is something for Tangled (other than the bathrooms, come on), Princess and the Frog should at least have a themed M&G area other than the little gazebo in between LS and the hub, and something for Frozen because of its popularity.

Goofyernmost

I could see Disney putting in a new park before they fixed all their problems, merely for guests needing to stay an extra day to experience that park. However, I believe they should update FW, (those rides just do not cut it for me... I mean, I like Soarin'... but even that could use some updating.) WS is fine, imo. I think they could definitely add a few more countries to enhance the experience... I've always brainstormed Greece and Egypt. But, of course with money and no sponsorship that won't happen. As for HS, it's a hot mess, imo. I only go there to ride TSMM, Star Tours, and ToT. RnR isn't as much of a thrill as I thought it was when I was younger. I like the shopping in HS, and some of the shows. I think there could be so much more to HS. Definitely a half day park. They could really showcase some of their popular movies or just more pop culture in general. I'm glad AIE is leaving, I have always HATED it. I think AK is a great park as is- I could spend days there... I hate how some people choose it to be a half day park. I love AK and I'm super stoked for Harambe nights! As for MK, I think most problems have been addressed. The only thing I would add is something for Tangled (other than the bathrooms, come on), Princess and the Frog should at least have a themed M&G area other than the little gazebo in between LS and the hub, and something for Frozen because of its popularity.
I still think that, like money, it is difficult to "force" people to stay an extra day. With today's economy people have all they can do to stretch out things for a single week and on either end of that week is travel. I don't think anyone will ever see a 5th gate, ever. They have more space to expand the parks now then they are willing to spend the money to fill. It's not the 80's anymore or even the 90's.

lazyboy97o

I still think that, like money, it is difficult to "force" people to stay an extra day. With today's economy people have all they can do to stretch out things for a single week and on either end of that week is travel. I don't think anyone will ever see a 5th gate, ever. They have more space to expand the parks now then they are willing to spend the money to fill. It's not the 80's anymore or even the 90's.
Back in 1998 people didn't have enough time and money to make their vacations longer to see the fourth park. Even if people have he money, Americans just don't culturally do longer vacations.

I would not want a fifth park, but I feel like they may attempt to build one... see if it peaks any interest or anything. I don't know. I would much prefer for them to expand and refurb what they have now. :)

RMichael21

I hate to burst your bubble, but Disney can't do anything with Marvel (at least when it comes to parks) because of the deal they made from Universal in which they can't use Marvel east of the Mississippi River.

Goofyernmost

I would not want a fifth park, but I feel like they may attempt to build one... see if it peaks any interest or anything. I don't know. I would much prefer for them to expand and refurb what they have now. :)
Let me know when that happens because I truly want to know the day that hell froze over. :jawdrop: Unless, they absolutely know that a 5th gate would be profitable, it will not happen. You've heard the expression... 'Three is enough' well in WDW's case...'Four is one to many.'

I hate to burst your bubble, but Disney can't do anything with Marvel (at least when it comes to parks) because of the deal they made from Universal in which they can't use Marvel east of the Mississippi River.
And that's a bad thing? Not to me!:happy:

BiffyClyro

Update the ones they have. I kind of can't believe what they let happen with the past parks that have been abandoned, so hopefully they learnt from their mistakes.

DAK may have been rushed, but it is nothing like Islands of Adventure. IOA is more like Universal's version of a Magic Kingdom park - themed lands that aren't thematically connected. DAK has a unified theme.

In the nicest way, I ca not fathom how you got to that conclusion...
...They are not even a tiny bit alike.

Tom Morrow

In the nicest way, I ca not fathom how you got to that conclusion...
...They are not even a tiny bit alike.
Both MK and IOA are a collection of separate themed lands with no relation to each other, vs. DAK which has an overall unified theme, or Studios parks where "anything goes as long as it relates to movies and TV in some way".

Last edited:

BiffyClyro

Both MK and IOA are a collection of separate themed lands with no relation to each other, vs. DAK which has an overall unified theme, or Studios parks where "anything goes as long as it relates to movies and TV in some way".

...Yeah, which is why I don't understand how someone could think Animal Kingdom and IOA are the same....

Penelope

Definitely work with what they have and expand and/or refurbish. A 5th park just will encourage them to ignore and neglect DHS and Epcot IMO.

EPCOT has what to me seem to be "easy" fixes because 2 pavilions exist that are needing TLC desperately.
1. Refurb Imagination pavilion - new show where EO is and PLEASE return Figment to the original! The crowds would return. (And I haven't been in there in some time but the play area on the top floor was a lot of fun that should return - unless it did since I last was in pavilion)

2. Last time I was there, I believe Wonders of Life pavilion was still there, just closed. Do SOMETHING with it! The Body Wars ride was outdated but a refurb of the pavilion would have at least kept another ride in Future World. I'm trying to think of good pavilion ideas - - - we don't have any volcano coverage in the parks that would be one thing. Or something based around a disaster type ride - volcano, earthquake etc… a thrill ride for sure would be nice addition.

3. Country expansion - It would be great to see additional countries added and where manageable, rides brought into existing countries.

And DHS needs more rides - and also needs expansion badly. Carsland type rides, a Frozen dark ride, maybe an Indiana Jones ride in addition to the show, and more for Star Wars than the current ride (another coaster would be great - MK should not be only park with multi-coasters) - Disney needs to recognize that little boys need some love in WDW. DHS could be a great park for the boys to enjoy. As a DVC member, I don't wish to appease my son by having to split our stay between WDW resorts and Universal and I fear when he is older that may be a necessity to hold his attention.

MK could help the lack of "boy" themed attractions if Adventureland had a massive overhaul. But I'm not sure if they have room for an expansion past its wall?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom