News New Theater to be built at the Magic Kingdom - now cancelled?

lazyboy97o

Saying it's in a bypass area does not necessarily means the bypass will be open to ordinary foot traffic all day long.

However, the artist's concept does have people milling about and not just queued up for the next show, so...
It is also entirely possible for Operations to end up doing something different than what Walt Disney Imagineering intends.

Last edited:

NearTheEars

thats the million dollar question

would be nice if they made it an actual street with shops and things, but i highly doubt they will

they'll probably just have it open during show time and as a bypass as needed

If they added more shops people would here would lose their minds.
I can hear the "cash grab" complaints already.

Now, if they were specialized shops like Memento Mori, I think that would be applauded.

jt04

One qualm about the design... why couldn't it look more like the actual Willis Wood Theater, with a bigger facade that covers the entire front of the building?

Compare the two, which looks better? Which fits Main Street more?

View attachment 219230
View attachment 219231
Ours is also missing quite a few details. But hey, at least we are getting this. In a sea of questionable decisions, this as a huge positive, in my opinion.

I hope they theme the backs of the Main Street buildings well too.

Questionable decisions?

You mean the usual blather from the same few people for over a decade? Who also won't subject their personal accomplishments to any sort of scrutiny. Moving on.

TrojanUSC

It was one of the reasons they ended the Aladdin show at DCA. To capitalize on Frozen was part of it, but it was so it wouldn't be confused with the Broadway show.

These (if this is indeed WDW's version of the Hyperion) are far above any other show at WDW/DLR so they can't really be compared to others. You wouldn't compare FotLK and Lion King on Broadway - they aren't on the same level. I'd say Aladdin at DCA is just a shorter version of the Broadway play that can be run multiple times a day (meaning less budget).

I liked the DCA show better than Broadway. o_O

Macca250

Remember when the bypass was first announced and people had (wild) dreams of the area matching up with the standard of theming found in DLP's Main Street arcades?
disneyland_paris_discoveryland_arcade6-680x451.jpg

Surely adding a major stage show for this area would warrant the addition of some decent theming?

mm121

Remember when the bypass was first announced and people had (wild) dreams of the area matching up with the standard of theming found in DLP's Main Street arcades?
disneyland_paris_discoveryland_arcade6-680x451.jpg

Surely adding a major stage show for this area would warrant the addition of some decent theming?

would be cool if they'd build part of the back area like the Paris arcade, from say the hub opening part way down to center street, opening up to a plaza by the theatre at the end of center street

Next Big Thing

It is also entirely possible for Operations to end up doing something different than what Walt Disney Imagineering intends.
Exactly, just like WDI thought it was a great idea to intermingle Single Riders and FP+ on Flight of Passage and as soon as ops got a hold of the ride they were like "Yeah... no."

Kman101

That concept art looks a bit rough and probably rushed. I'd hope they consider trees and I think the actual design of the building will look nicer. The color of the building I think overwhelms it a bit. I'm sure there will be more details on the actual building. (I'm sure I'll be told concept art is a romanticized design and that the actual building will look worse.)

Kman101

If it's a good show, like Frozen at DCA, time is not much of a factor. That show is about an hour. I've seen it three times now and never once seen anyone walk out.

Quality determines how long a show can last. You need to capture the audiences attention.

And haven't the trimmed Frozen a bit and cut/added some things here and there?

Next Big Thing

And haven't the trimmed Frozen a bit and cut/added some things here and there?
I saw it right after opening last year a few times and then not again until a few weeks ago (I live in FL). Knowing theatre, i'm sure things have changed based on how it worked and based on crowd reaction. I didn't notice much difference in the show but i'm sure there were some changes.

Kman101

I saw it right after opening last year a few times and then not again until a few weeks ago (I live in FL). Knowing theatre, i'm sure things have changed based on how it worked and based on crowd reaction. I didn't notice much difference in the show but i'm sure there were some changes.

Wasn't saying it as a negative, just mentioning that a few things have changed and I think the time was trimmed a bit, was just pointing out, like you said, they adjust as they go.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom