New Tech for Avatar Land?

RSoxNo1

This tech has been seen quite a bit recently actually. You can apply these electrodes (or whatever they're called) to water, or really any device and it senses the movement and the "stimulation" applied to that item. Without fully understanding the technology behind it, I assume it's similar to the pinch and stretch technology that's prevalent on smart phones and tablets.

ExtinctJenn

Very neat idea. Totally see why the OP would suggest it's maybe for Avatarland but also agree that the concept of touching the plants/trees and having them react has been seen elsewhere... not just Pocahontas but I keep thinking Alice in Wonderland too. Heck, it could be something they'd even just throw into resorts... interactive plant life in the lobby. Of course, the biggest issue with putting this anywhere in a Disney Parks/Resorts setting is the plant would be dead by the end of it's first day from all the people touching and pulling and tugging etc.

Adam5897

The plants in the movie only glow on the plants. Hopefully they can find a way to do that. And does this mean they will have to have a mirror behind all of these?

Kirk88

Really cool! The big question.....real or artificial plants? There's no way real ones could survive the wear and tear.

yeti

And "The Iliad" and "The Odyssey" are a complete ripoff of "The Epic of Gilgamesh".

Stories influence other stories or are repeated over time? What a shocking revelation.

You've gotta admit though, Avatar copies archetypes to the point where it's not even amusing. Following this method is a huge tactic for blockbuster movies, but the audience is not really supposed to notice it. Avatar did it to such an extreme that it was boring and predictable. IMO.

Mawg

I can't see this in a theme park. The ammount of people touching the plants and kids trying to break it. All the plants would be dead in a week tops.

AEfx

You've gotta admit though, Avatar copies archetypes to the point where it's not even amusing. Following this method is a huge tactic for blockbuster movies, but the audience is not really supposed to notice it. Avatar did it to such an extreme that it was boring and predictable. IMO.

Exactly.

Star Wars could be accused of the same thing, but it was done in a clever, new way and applied to a genre that had never caught on except in B-movies before. And, truth be told, Star Wars was a B-movie in some ways, and it transcended into one of the most A-list ever because of a variety of factors, in spite of the B-movie origins.

Avatar was kind of the opposite - 100's of M of dollars spent on a super-A list picture that came out like a B-picture with great graphics. And mixing humans/animation is nothing new, some of the earliest films did that - sure, his was pretty and done well, but it also came across as rather generic.

On the topic - yeah, nice thing, neato - but would never work in a theme park with organic flowers and grabby hands. I'm actually surprised some plant rights group isn't up in arms about the "low level of electricity" being applied to these plants, calling it "torture". ;)

morningstar

The problem is that when these break, they can't put a planter in front of them because people will think the planter is also interactive.

It sounds like pretty simple technology. They can install hundreds of them on the thousands of plants. People will touch plants curiously to see which ones react and won't expect them all to. If 10% of the devices fail, no one will notice.

morningstar

Also, am I the only one that's sort of reminded of Pocahontas rather than Avatar? I'm particularly reminded of when Pocahontas touched the rock, tree, and ground during Colors of the Wind ("Every rock and tree and creature has a life, has a spirit, has a name..."). When she touched them, the spot her hand made contact with glowed.

The point is the sensor technology, not the effect. I can think of several Avatar-style effects they could connect to it. Touching the plant could activate a lighting effect that makes it seem to glow. Or it could play a sound. Or it could make the plant fold up and disappear into the ground (okay, probably not a real plant).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom