New Show coming to DHS?

Haymarket2008

Behind the Thrills is reporting through an Periscope video that Disney has started sound testing for a new projection show called "Disney Movie Magic". They are saying that it will start before Star Wars' firework show.

From the Article:
Here’s the list as described by the feed:
1: Announcer: “Disney’s Hollywood Studios present: Disney Movie Magic”
2: Orchestra playing “When You Wish Upon A Star”
3: Walt’s voice
4: Orchestra playing the prologue from Beauty and the Beast and “tale as old as time”
5: Pirates of the Caribbean
6: Indiana Jones
7: Guardians of the galaxy (Possibly)
8: The Rocketeer
9: When You Wish Upon a Star

Source: http://www.behindthethrills.com/2017/05/disneys-hollywood-studios-testing-new-projection-show/

Sounds great. Looks like content that really fits the park. Looking at you Guardians & Indy.

CaptainAmerica

"If we can tick all our check boxes, it'll be hit with guests!!! Old dead guy reference? Check. Old movie stuff? Check. New movie stuff? Check. Marvel inclusion? Check. Ladies and gentlemen, we have a hit on our hands, let's do it!"
Yeah, those bastards. How dare they create a show based on THINGS PEOPLE LIKE!? Absolutely outrageous. Disgusting business practices from TDO.

Not sure how I feel about projection-only shows like this. I mean, the projection stuff is cool, but to me, they have the feel of "let's fool hoards of guests into thinking they are having a good time while keeping them away from the limited number of rides in DHS".
What does that even look like? How can one be "fooled" into thinking that he or she is having a good time? It seems to me that one either is or is not having a good time, regardless of whether @HauntedPirate is walking past them with a look of disgust that they could possibly enjoy a projection show (gasp!).

Goofywilliam

I'm not trying to start any rumors, but I did see a lot of spotlights moving around (possibly testing) over Hollywood studios late one night last week. Thought it was odd but didn't think much of it as they have late night events there often.

Timothy_Q

I like the idea of putting all live action non-WDAS, non-Pixar movies in a single show.

They could expand upon those rumored 4 movies though.
Mary Poppins, Tron, Muppets

999th Happy Haunt

Behind the Thrills is reporting through an Periscope video that Disney has started sound testing for a new projection show called "Disney Movie Magic". They are saying that it will start before Star Wars' firework show.

From the Article:
Here’s the list as described by the feed:
1: Announcer: “Disney’s Hollywood Studios present: Disney Movie Magic”
2: Orchestra playing “When You Wish Upon A Star”
3: Walt’s voice
4: Orchestra playing the prologue from Beauty and the Beast and “tale as old as time”
5: Pirates of the Caribbean
6: Indiana Jones
7: Guardians of the galaxy (Possibly)
8: The Rocketeer
9: When You Wish Upon a Star

Source: http://www.behindthethrills.com/2017/05/disneys-hollywood-studios-testing-new-projection-show/
Great to see Indy get some more love. Hoping we get a dedicated Indy ride in the future

doctornick

What's your point? It never fails on this board. A rumor of a possible new addition is met immediately with sarcasm and negativity.

I absolutely agree that new announcements always seem to be picked apart for the negative way too quickly around here. And I applaud Disney for an actual addition to DHS if this comes to pass. That said....

I don't know if a projection show at night is the most pressing need for this park. With the SW show and Fantasmic, it already has two great large scale shows in the evening. They even have the Pixar concert in the evening to fill things out. While a new projection show is cool -- and I really like the concept, actually -- it doesn't address the park's greatest need IMHO. Which is that the park needs more stuff for during the day. If they have some new entertainment money allotted to DHS, I think a better use would be a day time parade of some sort. That helps spread around the entertainment offerings throughout the day to keep people occupied.

CaptainAmerica

I absolutely agree that new announcements always seem to be picked apart for the negative way too quickly around here. And I applaud Disney for an actual addition to DHS if this comes to pass. That said....

I don't know if a projection show at night is the most pressing need for this park. With the SW show and Fantasmic, it already has two great large scale shows in the evening. They even have the Pixar concert in the evening to fill things out. While a new projection show is cool -- and I really like the concept, actually -- it doesn't address the park's greatest need IMHO. Which is that the park needs more stuff for during the day. If they have some new entertainment money allotted to DHS, I think a better use would be a day time parade of some sort. That helps spread around the entertainment offerings throughout the day to keep people occupied.
Without knowing any different, I suspect that the main advantage of the projection show is that it can be implemented relatively quickly. I agree with your assessment of what DHS needs MOST, but I think this is something that could help DHS NOW.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
A new projection show is great. Can we get rid of all the trees in the way? And make the stage towers retractable? And replace Min and Bills with stage seating?

How about we put up giant retractable screens in Indy and show it there instead? Or at Fantasmic?

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member

I'd prefer a daytime parade as well. However, I think at this point there are too many pathways blocked, closed, or narrowed by construction. Stick a parade in as well, and it'd be impossible to get around, I think.

That being said, I'm with you that DHS actually needs daytime stuff. F!, the Star Wars Fireworks, and the Music of Pixar are sufficient for nighttime, especially when they can go to 2 (or 3) F! shows a night. There is a whole building at DHS (the Sunset Showcase) that is essentially unused during the day (and most nights, as well). Seems like adding something there or in the underused old sound theater (currently home to Path of the Jedi) would be a better choice than another night time offering.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom