New Rock'N Trains On The Horizon?

Gregoryp73

There is no way a Ghostbusters ride would ever come here. If anything I would love it to somehow transform into a Rocketeer ride.

Yeah I don't think so either....it just comes from my dream of seeing a "haunted hollywood" portion of the park...they already have TOT over there....add a Tim Burton Dark ride and you have a themed area.

RalphinSC

I live in Charlotte nc and go to Carowinds all the time. The restraints in the cobra are insanely comfortable. Highly highly
Recommended. It's like a vest. Very soft. Tons of "give". Would love this on RNRC

Same here. I've riden RnRC many times and I've benn season pass holder at Carowinds in years past, including last year. I give three thumbs up to the new Vekoma restraints! Those things are extremely comfortable and from a safety standpoint are much more fool-proof than the current restraints in place. Basically, they cannot be in any position except locked when away from the station and to unlock them would require someone to do so from the outside of the ride vehicle. Very safe and very comfortable.

And yes, I think it would eliminate the beating some people get from the bulky RnRC restraints.

RalphinSC

Here's a good video of the restraint system in question in use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_l-ePyEEGY

If you've ever ridden an boomerang style coaster before, you know that the restraints can make the ride very uncomfortable when you are pulled up backwards and have all your weight resting against them. These are by far the most comfortable restraints ever designed for that type of stress.

bgraham34

Yeah I don't think so either....it just comes from my dream of seeing a "haunted hollywood" portion of the park...they already have TOT over there....add a Tim Burton Dark ride and you have a themed area.

If you want to stick with that personally i think they should come up with an entirely new idea. A clean slate to tell a scary but fun story. Ghosts who haunt movie sets or something like that.

<3DisneyBBOH

I like RNRC the way it is. I don't think they should change it at all.Unless the new restraints will keep your head from bumping around all over the place.New restraints don't sound too bad...but keep the story and the rides layout.

invader

I like RNRC the way it is. I don't think they should change it at all.Unless the new restraints will keep your head from bumping around all over the place.New restraints don't sound too bad...but keep the story and the rides layout.

Nothing would change except the restraints.

~ FD.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

That's the idea. The restraints are for your head, not the story or the track...

sanctumsolitude

You have to keep in mind, the RnR trains aren't your average coaster train. They have an incredibly sophisticated sound system onboard, too. Perhaps new trains could be an upgrade to the audio system they have now?

Onboard audio is not that sophisticated. The only real difference between audio on the train and in your local restaurant is that the trains need a capacitor and a way of charging it, but it is all off the shelf components (obviously there are other things to worry about but every design has its unique requirements). However you are right that the new trains would be custom designs so it would cost more than your average coaster train to redesign/replace if they go that route.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Onboard audio is not that sophisticated. The only real difference between audio on the train and in your local restaurant is that the trains need a capacitor and a way of charging it, but it is all off the shelf components (obviously there are other things to worry about but every design has its unique requirements). However you are right that the new trains would be custom designs so it would cost more than your average coaster train to redesign/replace if they go that route.

RnRC uses 3rd gen Soundtracker. Very sophisticated and quite unique to the attraction, though surprisingly not as clever as 2nd gen.

sanctumsolitude

RnRC uses 3rd gen Soundtracker. Very sophisticated and quite unique to the attraction, though surprisingly not as clever as 2nd gen.

I am, admittedly, unfamiliar with the exact implementation for RnRC. Is it more sophisticated than Universal's Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit? I assumed less so (but correct me if I am wrong), and I did not find Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit to be a particularly sophisticated system (I am familiar with that ride from an audio engineering standpoint; however, I was not involved in the design itself).

Of course, it is all objective. My definition of sophistication and someone else's may differ by quite a bit. I would argue that most audiovisual design companies would be able to design onboard audio without too much difficulty.

Absimilliard

Onboard sound has already been done on the new Vekoma trains. Speed of Sound in the Netherlands got a train like that in 2011. http://www.rcdb.com/773.htm?p=34482 . It features onboard audio.

The current trains use a lifting bar that push wheels under the cars to release all the restraints. Each car also got a pedal you can push to release them too. The restraints are locked with a failsafe double ratchet system. The new restraints are hydraulic and need an electrical current to release. The release bar would be replaced by an electric bus bar. For cast members to release an individual car, they will have to carry a battery pack and plug it into a car (like at Primeval Whirl).

So, in order to replace the restraints on Rock n Roller Coaster if it works out over at Disneyland Paris:

1- Determine if they get all new trains, keep the existing cars or change the shells if the restraints don't fit in the existing cars. Disneyland Paris is at that phase.

2- modify both stations to add bus bars.

3- complete testing to make sure clearance and G forces are similar or acceptable.

From what I hear, the new restraints would not show up before the end of the year on Space Mountain DLP. So you'd be looking at 2013 or 2014 for Rock n Roller Coaster at WDW.

stitch2008

Original Poster
Onboard sound has already been done on the new Vekoma trains. Speed of Sound in the Netherlands got a train like that in 2011. http://www.rcdb.com/773.htm?p=34482 . It features onboard audio.

The current trains use a lifting bar that push wheels under the cars to release all the restraints. Each car also got a pedal you can push to release them too. The restraints are locked with a failsafe double ratchet system. The new restraints are hydraulic and need an electrical current to release. The release bar would be replaced by an electric bus bar. For cast members to release an individual car, they will have to carry a battery pack and plug it into a car (like at Primeval Whirl).

So, in order to replace the restraints on Rock n Roller Coaster if it works out over at Disneyland Paris:

1- Determine if they get all new trains, keep the existing cars or change the shells if the restraints don't fit in the existing cars. Disneyland Paris is at that phase.

2- modify both stations to add bus bars.

3- complete testing to make sure clearance and G forces are similar or acceptable.

From what I hear, the new restraints would not show up before the end of the year on Space Mountain DLP. So you'd be looking at 2013 or 2014 for Rock n Roller Coaster at WDW.

Oh gosh. Proton Packs!!!! That's what we call em anyway. :ROFLOL:

DLP will tell you if you get new trains or not. If they can make modifications within reason with current trains, then that's what will happen at DHS.

Uncle Lupe

I got a headache after 2 rides but it was not from the restraints but the ride. Really do not remember the audio, to busy screaming over top of the music.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom