New projection show at DHS "Disney Movie Magic"

Tom Morrow

Watched a video of it and it feels exactly like any other projection/nighttime clip show to me. I'm getting pretty tired of this format, which is a reason I appreciate Rivers of Light so much, even if it isn't great. Though, the surprise debut was cool, and anything to give more things to do at DHS is appreciated.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Watched a video of it and it feels exactly like any other projection/nighttime clip show to me. I'm getting pretty tired of this format, which is a reason I appreciate Rivers of Light so much, even if it isn't great. Though, the surprise debut was cool, and anything to give more things to do at DHS is appreciated.
You can thank illuminations for all of this

Tom Morrow

You can thank illuminations for all of this
Nah, I don't think they're very similar. Illuminations and Rivers of Light are segmented like the projection style shows like this and the castle shows, but they're conveying an abstract story. The latter just inserts segment from one movie, then another movie, etc, to convey a vague theme.

If Rivers of Light had just been musical segments from various Disney animal related films, then it would be the style I am referring to.

Someone else can probably explain this better than I can.

Kman101

Until they get stale and linger years past their replacement date. But that never happens at wdw...

:hilarious:

You mean like nearly 30 year old stage shows like Beauty and the Beast, Indiana Jones and The Little Mermaid (all of which I think are great but beyond past their expiration or at least in need of massive updates)

They can't even update Fantasmic! regularly ...

Herbie

Doubt it but let's hope. Sad that GMR isn't getting the vocal backlash Tower did (I'd be happy to join the front lines but no one seems very compelled). It may seem like a lost cause, but it wouldn't hurt.

Michel Lichand

I don't think a lot of people know about it. I mean, when I was there in January, I straight up asked one of the leaders there and got a 'What? Haven't heard that rumor before.'

21stamps

Does anyone know how this meshes with dessert parties?

Do the people in the party have a viewing area for this show? If so, will the parties start earlier?

AKL2003

You mean like nearly 30 year old stage shows like Beauty and the Beast, Indiana Jones and The Little Mermaid (all of which I think are great but beyond past their expiration or at least in need of massive updates)

This!! How different DHS would be...sad really...

wdwfan4ver

Very true. I first went to WDW in Summer of 1991 and Disney MGM Studios was one of the 3 parks I went to during my first trip. I remembered seeing Indiana Jones that year. I first saw Beauty and the Beast stage show in 1992 and I first saw the Little Mermaid during my 1997 trip.

The only things worse than this is would've been Disney keeping the Backlot Tour, Disney didn't change Star Tours to Star Tours: The Adventure continues, and Disney not getting a rid of Sounds Dangerous!

The_Jobu

What "Celebrate the Magic" was for the animated movies, this show perfectly fits for everything else. And props for including the real Walt Disney and Tom Hanks' Walt as well.

CtM is still my favourite nighttime show and I think this show compares very favourably with it. Shame it's the same time as Fantasmic!

Biff215

Doubt it but let's hope. Sad that GMR isn't getting the vocal backlash Tower did (I'd be happy to join the front lines but no one seems very compelled). It may seem like a lost cause, but it wouldn't hurt.
Count me in.
I don't think a lot of people know about it. I mean, when I was there in January, I straight up asked one of the leaders there and got a 'What? Haven't heard that rumor before.'
I agree. Even the ToT backlash didn't gain traction until DCA was officially announced. So many rumors get bounced around that it's difficult to know which are worth fighting, and then there's the reality that Disney is going to do what they want anyway, which they're entitled to.

GMR's demise definitely appears split among those posting here, which makes it even easier for Disney to ignore. It simply doesn't have the following of ToT or even the Tiki Room.

Herbie

Count me in.

I agree. Even the ToT backlash didn't gain traction until DCA was officially announced. So many rumors get bounced around that it's difficult to know which are worth fighting, and then there's the reality that Disney is going to do what they want anyway, which they're entitled to.

GMR's demise definitely appears split among those posting here, which makes it even easier for Disney to ignore. It simply doesn't have the following of ToT or even the Tiki Room.

Should we start a petition? If only to get the word out... Preferably before D23

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom